This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewatched it a second time, have a huge chunk of notes:

- I noticed in the Chloe dream that the song lyrics mentioned the word "mother". And guess who shows up next? Haha, I think that was an odd yet cool moment. Attention to detail or huge coincidence, but whatever.

- Kino shot going up through the hole was *****in'.

- I wonder if Rush not leaving while Eli checks over the Destiny via Kino is some kind of callback to Light - Rush wants to know what his baby Destiny looks like, eh?

- Like the research lab. Nice overhead shots. The whole episode was well directed.

- Bridge Club! What an effective lie, Brody!

- Before Space and Divided, for some reason, I thought the shuttle wouldn't have weapons. Odd.

- Eli's eye roll when Rush says, "I was hoping he didn't notice that."

- When Rush was increasing the shield strength, Young was going into the hole. At first I thought the shield would become too strong and Young would get stuck. But alas...

- Interesting concept that the only reason the aliens would breach Destiny in the future is because of human error. Way to go team!

- Extraordinary CGI and music. The really thumpity thump music during the surgery scene was great. Coupled with the CGI - there was this great callback to Air Part 1 when I noticed the glass dome with the hole in it - the little shield blocking it.

- I'm thinking, if Young's theory about Rush having a stone taken by the aliens is true, that the aliens jammed the communication stone signal during the surgery. An interesting idea if correct.

- And finally, I wonder: The little ship we saw on the hull here in Divided, was that the same one in Air 3 that jetted off the top of the ship? Did it move to avoid detection? Or... was it a second pod that went to report to the aliens about the intrusion, and the pod on the hull here was left behind. OOORRR, was that pod from Air 3 the only one, and a second pod attached itself last week in Space? Decisions...

All in all, a great episode the second time around too. Probably up there with Time and Darkness as a favourite.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

This episode just underlined the fact that the most self centered, self serving, opportunistic person on the ship is Chloe. As a character, she's easily the most unlikable person on the show.

Her main (only?) reason for joining a mutiny against the military was because Young wasnt going to save her. She repeatedly whined about how he was going to leave her behind during the alien battle. Because in her mind, the thought of saving a hundred people instead of her is unthinkable. How dare anyone put the lives of others above hers. Especially when she contributes so much. Well, so far her main contributions have been sex and tight shirts but that has to rank higher than the guys growing food.

Just like when her dad died, its only a matter of time before she uses her 'trauma' of being abducted to gain pity and get excuses from doing any real work. Nevermind that the only reason she was taken was because during a battle she thought it would be a good idea to stand under a freshly cut hole in the ship and stare up. No doubt she figured it was a spotlight built just for her.

Unlike Wray, who is just stupid, and Rush who is narcisisstic to the point of mental illness, Chloe's only reason for starting a mutiny that put the lives of everyone at risk was because her feelings were hurt.

The leaders of the mutiny, Wray, Rush, and Chloe should all be jailed for the remainder of the series.
      D

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
        Yeah, but she's learning at the feet of a master...

regards,
        G.
        I deny your logic, I deny it !

Lo , even if Wray takes some pointers from the Master Rush she will never measure to his magnificence. Never I say!

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
          This was an excellent episode perfectly mixing the drama (civilian vs. Military), character development and action (classic Sci-fi Alien battle). delivering a perfect mix with the aliens arrival a complete surprise, and since this episode did not contain
          Spoiler:
          the shot of them walking through the Stargate I am happy that they will appear yet again in the future!
          Although a name for them would be recommended please.
          Could you please edit your post to include the spoiler tags as illustrated above? We're not supposed to reveal spoilers for upcoming episodes, and not everyone watches the trailers. Cheers.
          sigpic

Comment

Agree that the Chloe character is very self centered, but in some ways she is one of the more believable characters in the story. By that I mean she is acting closer to what her character's age would imply. This is where I get frustrated with the story-line and some of the characters - they are not acting like people with the age and experience they supposedly would have.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Even the SGC ultimately had civilians calling the shots.
              The gang on Destiny still do have civilians technically over them. Young reports to O'Neill who reports to the President.

However, what is also true, and which the stories so far have not embraced or explored well, is that Destiny is on a one-way journey and these people are not going home. This has been left unresolved for too long. If they want a civilian government on the ship then they will have to form one, which does not mean mutiny!

Enough time has elapsed in the SGA story-line where they really ought to have worked this out farther by now. I think the story is dragging a bit here, and there should have been more conflict over this already. Throwing in a few unmitigatedly despondent individuals (e.g., suicides) might be reasonable also, as well as other types of fights than just the Rush/Young battle for the alpha male.

While I enjoyed this episode, in some ways SGA still is struggling with having all the characters acting like high-schoolers. That fits the young Chloe character, and the psychopathically narcissistic Rush character, but seems wrong for so many of the other characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
                1. Rush would have thought of the holes in the hull. And if he didn't, one of the others would have. There's no way they would all miss something so glaringly obvious.

2. Those doors between the two areas were locked down. It doesn't make sense they can be opened easily from one side, as displayed when Greer opened one. They'd be locked out from both sides and need to be opened from a control room, surely?
                I agree, the military did regain control a little bit too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                  I agree, the military did regain control a little bit too easily.
                  Yeah 'cause they're not... ya know... trained for that kind of thing...

Comment

Actually, I don't think that donning spacesuits and walking over the hull of a ship to climb in through a hole in the hull to prevent a civilian takeover is in basic training, even for SGC personnel.

Comment

1. Rush would have thought of the holes in the hull. And if he didn't, one of the others would have. There's no way they would all miss something so glaringly obvious.
                      I don't know. Would would have thought that Young would think "out-of-the-box" like this. Also, it was a pretty dangerous move. If Eli hadn't stopped Rush a the right moment. Greer and Young would have been stuck. I don't find this so unbelievable. The civilians were rather unprepared and unorganized imho, and this fits in nicely there. It just showed their weakness and the military's strength, which is why I think working together is the best solution.

2. Those doors between the two areas were locked down. It doesn't make sense they can be opened easily from one side, as displayed when Greer opened one. They'd be locked out from both sides and need to be opened from a control room, surely?
                      Why doesn't it make sense? It's not because you say it is so that the lockout would lock-out both door controls that it is indeed so. If Rush could program it like this, and if the technology allows it, I see nothing standing in the way. I've always found it quite stupid and unbelievable the other way around. Surely which such advance technology one should be able to do this. I strongly disagree with the fact that they should be locked out from both sides and that they should only be opened from the control room.

[QUOTE=Phenomenological;11389884]
                      3. Very convenient that the control transfer shut down the shuttle docking clamps and nothing else, no? In fact I'd imagine the shuttle clamps would be a separate system to prevent any problems with the ship leading to the destruction of the shuttle.[/quote$

Yes, I agree with you here. Of course, TPTB needed this a story element, and it's not like it's impossible. However I don't think it would have to be a separate system. Could be a safety function to prevent anyone from entering while controls are transferred around on the ship or something. Or maybe Rush just made a mistake with the programming.

Just random gripes for people to disagree with.
                      Gripes are fine, but I think you need to be more rational about things.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Actually, I don't think that donning spacesuits and walking over the hull of a ship to climb in through a hole in the hull to prevent a civilian takeover is in basic training, even for SGC personnel.
                        Maybe not, but thinking on your feet, working with what you have and considering all options certainly are.

Plus, I mistakenly thought that erotavlas was referring to the retaking itself as well as the plan to do so. My bad on that.

Comment

I like many are getting tired of these episodes being about the smaller interactions being used as full blown reasons for an entire episode. I've taken a few 3-4 as being needed with setting up such a series but this is getting tedious now. 'Space' shifted the focus more to what this whole universe is about 'Scifi', I dont want it to revert to these personal interactions hogging each episode again. Its killing the series and the rating are proof of it.

I'm trying to be fair to the series but its no SG1 or SGA and doesnt have the ability to be BSG (No where near enough grit)

Anyway I'm giving it to the end of the season to improve, cause at this time its in the dump bin for me.
                          Its a real shame since I have loved the SG universe for a long time now.

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                            I find it hard to believe that Young looked up to Jack O'Neill. If they ever make it home I want Young discharged & not honorably
                            nope, i want him COURT MARTIALED! (threatening people, sleeping with people under his command, beating people of the same rank (also i hate telford as much as him), leaving rush on that planet...etc. - would find more if i really looked)

SPACE FOR EDITING (just read that one posting and had to replie right away!)

greeting LAX

Comment

In when Wray wanted Colonel Young to chose the "right" 15 people to go on the only shuttle on the planet. Young's reply was "These are all the wrong people."

Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                What Brian said.
                                Woo hoo! Someone agrees with me!

Anyway rated this episode 9/10. Again a nice mix of drama, action, and adventure. It felt a little like BSG but not quite, still felt like Stargate.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X