This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
    That was a nice touch. Of course he knows he screwed up big time by leaving Rush stranded on that planet. He knows it will take a very long time, if ever, for some people to forgive that error of his.
    Definitely. And I think that it will take even longer, if ever, for Young to forgive himself.

All in all, I appreciate a hero that's fallible; it shows that he's human.

Comment

There have been situations when the scientists could not focus on the situation, They can work the equipment but have no structure, Young and his men add that structure to keep them focused.
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

As much as I liked Space and Time, I felt Divided is the best episode of the series so far. Anyone agree?
        sigpic
        Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by _SocraticMethod View Post
          Definitely. And I think that it will take even longer, if ever, for Young to forgive himself.

All in all, I appreciate a hero that's fallible; it shows that he's human.
          This. Truth.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
            As much as I liked Space and Time, I felt Divided is the best episode of the series so far. Anyone agree?
            Agreed!! In fact, I just changed my favourite SGU episode on my profile to "Divided"! Loved it!

Comment

Pretty good episode, though I'm a bit disappointed the division didn't last that long. It's funny, I thought the first half was a bit slow-paced at times and now I'm finding the 2nd half to be rushing things in a way, getting Rush back within one episode and now starting and ending this mutiny within this one. Though as hinted in the preview the discontent will likely continue.

I thought the civilian vs military conflict played out well for the most part, but I don't fully get the civilians' argument. Ideally the military should be under civilian control, but they're hardly in ideal circumstances and it's not as if the civilians, aside from Eli and Chloe, are unused to being under military command, they were all serving on Icarus for months I believe. I dunno, it just felt like a big jump to go from discontent to all out mutiny so quickly.

I like Chloe's nightmare, the scenes with Chloe and Eli and Chloe and TJ, and the last act had some really nice tension with Brightman (good to see her again!) and TJ removing the tracking device from Rush and the countdown to Destiny jumping. I'm really digging Eli now too, I think he and Greer are probably my favorites on the show so far. And perhaps they've now found a solid role for Chloe, to be the hands of experts who come aboard the ship via the stones.

sigpic

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents

We all knew this was coming. It was obvious from day 1 when Rush stranded everyone on the Destiny. Its inevitable when to different kind of people are stuck in a common area. Its inevitable that these kind of people will begin to clash and makes changes. And because I read spoilers I knew a huge confrontation but for it to happen like this was something I totally did not expect. Their were quite a few twists and turns that if it was biologically possible my jaw would have touched the floor. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let’s start where we always do.

What is an interesting I find the episode to start off really boring. The whole dream sequence was so yawn worthy. I know Chloe is having nightmares. It makes logical sense that a person tortured in an alien environment to have nightmares. But do we have to showcase it so much? It was so boring for me. I like good character to explain who this people are but the nightmare sequence in addition to Scott confronting Chloe just bored me like nothing else.

But luckily after the first break (damn you commercials) it got really interesting. The concept of finding and destroying that transmitter had me excited because of my letdown of the first act and while good it brings in the whole motion of events. The cynic in me wonders if that alien device was ever really a tracking device of more of a ploy by Rush to get control. But the more I think about the character its not in Rush's nature. He is a more of a person who would take advantage of such chaos to figure the answer. Although I can't say I am surprised that he was almost willing to let Young and Scott die. Come on we know he would have done it if it wasn't for the intervention of Wray.

I feel quite sorry for TJ in the hydroponics lab. She has always been kind of this neutral voice. While being a soldier TJ has always had a civilian personality. So it was somewhat sad to see her automatically grouped with the military. Speaking of the groupings I find a mutiny of this size a little hard to grasp. Obviously people like Rush and Wray were going to mutiny but one person I did not expect was a person like Park (and another I'll get too later). While a civilian she always seemed fine with the way Young in charge. I just find it hard to swallow that all the civilians were going to be against Young and the military. Granted when you have two different ideologies their will be friction but a high ratio this high of civilian mutinies seems quite improbable to me. Do not get me wrong I loved the shock and unpredictability of some of the mutineers but like many TV shows I have to suspend my disbelief once again.

Speaking of ideologies their is a flaw in Rush's thinking. While it is defiantly true that a civilized society is run by civilian control. Destiny is not a separate country. Its an extension of assets controlled by the US government. Much like the SGC or Atlantis. They had both military and civilians in those bases but were effectively both under control of the US government. I suppose you could argue they were under IOA control but thats not really the point. The point of the matter is that they are both under control of the various nations of Earth like any other base. To that merit it makes more sense that whoever Jack and ultimately the president say is in charge is in charge. Furthermore how did they really expect Earth to react when a mutiny occured on Destiny? I doubt they would have been that sympathic.

But I have seemed to lose my place lets move on too Eli discovering that Chloe was complict of Rush/Wray's mutiny plans. I was shocked beyond belief (and I may have to halt my thunking) that Chloe would side with Rush like that. I thought she was friends with Eli and Scott. It just seems she backstabbed them in this whole ordeal. I think I know why she lost friends on Earth. Her definition of loyalty is very shaky. Furthermore I wonder how Eli and Scott will react in the aftermath of all of this. Scott looked quite angry when he saw that Chloe was in on this mutiny. It will be quite interesting to see the repercussions of this ordeal. I bet Eli isn't too happy either.

I’m so sorry my loyal readers ( all two of you) I forget to mention my thoughts on Young and Greer sneaking over the “line.” Personally I thought it was an ingenious idea to use. It felt really “out of the box” if you know what I mean and was something I wasn’t expecting. I never expected them to use those alien created holes to their advantage. Like I said it was unexpected. It also shows that Eli is a better poker player then I thought. He was very calm in trying to buy a little more time so Young and Greer could get aboard the other side and let the strike force. Also on an inapprioate note I laughed when James(at least I think it was James) hit that civilian with her gun.

Finally we get to the aliens and Rush’s tracking device. Once again I was shocked that Rush had a tracking device implanted next to his heart(Does Rush even have a heart). The aliens attacking the Destiny not so much. It was an interesting plot twist that made another showdown between Young and Rush all the more interesting. I give Chloe a little redemption after being mad at her in this one where she allowed the stone switch to get a doctor in and furthermore she seems quite helpful in helping TJ in surgery. And give credit where credit is due. I might have a distaste for Rush but he was right about the aliens attacking by keeping the shields up. Although you have to wonder, how powerful are those shields? Although I am surprised that Young listened to him. A military mindset would be to fire with all of what you got.

I think Wray’s words, “We have to learn to work together” summarizes the whole aftermath of this ordeal. This conflict is far from over as long as the civilian feel oppressed they are going to resist. Rather they are right or not is quite irrelevant as for to be effective everyone on the Destiny has to work together. Which bring my final thought in the form of a rhetorical. What are going to be the repercussions of this thing? This totally changed the makeup of the Destiny and I am curious to see how this changes the crew
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  A few things:

1.) The civilians didn't know they'd come under attack when they started the mutiny.
                  2.) The military personnel would be pretty useless, considering the aliens were blasting at the ship from afar, not sending boarding parties. If it came to fending off invaders, well, the shields would already be down so they could just switch to weapons and blast apart the craft trying to land on them.
                  3.) ...that's basically it.
                  Well, Rush did.
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                    Well, Rush did.
                    he's 1 person the rest where stuck at gun point by greer
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                      he's 1 person the rest where stuck at gun point by greer
                      Or knocked out by Lt. James.
                      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Well, Rush did.
                        He had no idea when the aliens would come for them.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Or knocked out by Lt. James.
                          i loved that
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            He had no idea when the aliens would come for them.
                            No, but he knew they were coming sometime soon.

Comment

I think it is time to have someone push Young off the ship. Being flawed is one thing...but this is just too much. One more thing...I thought this show was called STARGATE Universe...where is the stargate? If this continues the show should just be renamed the Young and the Rushless in Space.

Comment

2 things
                                1. Young needs to show ppl that rush tried to frame him for murder.
                                2. They need to find the solution to the power problem I think it still at 40% right? That way they can run weapons and shields at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X