This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
    I don't see how Chloe was flirting with guys and the conversation in Wray's offcice has to do with TJ having an affair with
    Spoiler:
    Col. Everett Young
    which Camile Wray suspects.
    Agreed, on both accounts. Seriously, I guess I must not know what flirting is, as that was not what was happening between Chloe and Eli. It was a quirky little introduction scene, but nothing more.

Then again, I'm only 20...what do I know about flirting?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

HMO...I watched the premiere with son#1 (24yr) and my nephew (25yr), all three of us thoroughly enjoyed the episodes. I like the characters, as well as the potential that exists for the characters. The "Daniel" video was great and Carter's stuff was also good. I am an optimist generally, but was skeptical of the premieres of both SGA and SGU. By the end of season 1 of SGA I was already hooked. I believe SGU will do the same. To those who did not find it as full of promise as we did, I would say give it more than two episodes to find it's footing. I don't think I will be disappointed.

Comment

There was one thing I forgot to say in my generally positive review. One of the pro reviewers said the female characters were underwritten. I tend to agree. The male characters seemed to be much better developed than the women. That doesn't seem to have changed from previous shows.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

As someone who always thought the previous show's were a bit old-fashioned in their style, I was impressed with how the same staff of writers and producers could essentially bring a new game to the table. SG1 and SGA were essentially 20th Century TV shows. This is a 21st Century TV show.
          I agree with everything you said, especially the Farscape comment. Farscape was truly an amazing show that was character driven but also kept a story or main arc going as well.

However, I think SG-1 and SGA at times were a 21st Century show like Season 4 of SGA. But have to say it is different SGU because the characters actually act out their emotions more and they conflict and have flaws right off the bat. It felt that anytime SG-1 or SGA started to really get into a character they would just scratch the surface and that is it.

The show is different than past Stargate, but it is still Stargate.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shoarn View Post
            Carter's stuff was also good.
            I was surprised how much Carter there was. I know it wasnt alot in 2 hours, but there was more than i expected.

Comment

There was one thing I forgot to say in my generally positive review. One of the pro reviewers said the female characters were underwritten. I tend to agree. The male characters seemed to be much better developed than the women. That doesn't seem to have changed from previous shows.
              I'm a little on the fence in agreement with that statement. Characters like TJ and Wray could have been given more material, but I suspect that is forthcoming. It's hard to give an ensemble cast equal time (especially in a premiere), and I actually think it's to the detriment of the show if they try to do so each episode.

Chloe, on the other hand, got a lot of good material...imo.
              Sig by Pandora's Box
              sigpic

Comment

To be fair their were a few males who would equally undeveloped. The pilot focused on developing a few key people. Their is only so much that can be done in 120 minutes. Besides Rush, Eli,Scott, and Chloe the characters had little to no development
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                  I'm a little on the fence in agreement with that statement. Characters like TJ and Wray could have been given more material, but I suspect that is forthcoming. It's hard to give an ensemble cast equal time (especially in a premiere), and I actually think it's to the detriment of the show if they try to do so each episode.

Chloe, on the other hand, got a lot of good material...imo.
                  Well if you look at the pilot, not everyone got as much focus as Eli and Rush. Young and Scott were 2nd and then the rest of the cast had a scene here and there. The four characters I mentioned always seemed to be in the middle and the focus for most of the premiere.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    The show is different than past Stargate, but it is still Stargate.
                    I agree! Looking at it head on it looked different, but its had this feeling of familiarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      However, I think SG-1 and SGA at times were a 21st Century show like Season 4 of SGA. But have to say it is different SGU because the characters actually act out their emotions more and they conflict and have flaws right off the bat. It felt that anytime SG-1 or SGA started to really get into a character they would just scratch the surface and that is it.
                      There was the occasional episode where you saw that they could do a different kind of show if they wanted to. "Heroes" in SG1 was an outstanding example. "Vegas" in Atlantis was an another.

Comment

I've been scouring for SGU news from the moment it was announced. I pumped myself up way too much for it so maybe my opinion will change in time.

So far, I am un'wowed.

An action/adventure pilot should have lots of running and chaos. There was some chaos, but too little for the circumstances.

For the lull in what I thought would be non-stop action, I was looking forward to the confrontation between Rush and Scott. I thought it would be something heady like "not even the military people signed up for an unending tour of duty so let's respect gov't by consent of the governed". It turned out to be "O'Neill put me in charge."/"Do what I say or I'll lock you down."

In the other Stargates, character moments came after we rooted for the good guys to survive. They were a precious commodity. SGU is spoon-feeding them to us like a European Indy flick starting with the protagonist being given cookies as a kid by his mother. In action/adventure, we freely root for the good guys to survive without the cookie bribe. Let us root first, then those character moments will be so much more satisfying.

I felt like it was two hours of character moments. It would play better starting with Air Part 3 and filling in the character gaps later. That's what I'm clinging to to convince myself it's going to get way better and I can look back to Air Part 1 & 2 with way more interest later.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

so. i will see it tonight, just one questions, to get to know some actual bad guys in the premiere?! I hate to see no real bad guys in sg:u.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
                            I've been scouring for SGU news from the moment it was announced. I pumped myself up way too much for it so maybe my opinion will change in time.
                            I agree with this sentiment. Going into "Air", I feared I knew too much and had let the hype get to me. I guess it can't really be avoided and I don't blame anyone for it (except maybe myself ). In any case, I look forward to the episodes after "Air", as those are the ones that I know next to nothing about

For the lull in what I thought would be non-stop action, I was looking forward to the confrontation between Rush and Scott. I thought it would be something heady like "not even the military people signed up for an unending tour of duty so let's respect gov't by consent of the governed". It turned out to be "O'Neill put me in charge."/"Do what I say or I'll lock you down."
                            I thought this scene was quite interesting. When I heard Scott say that, I noticed that his voice wavered. I feel like that line was written to almost be an uncomfortable thing for Lt. Scott to say, but he felt he had to. Remember, he's pretty "fish-out-of-water" as far as being put in charge goes.

I dunno, I guess I viewed it a bit differently
                            Sig by Pandora's Box
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                              so. i will see it tonight, just one questions, to get to know some actual bad guys in the premiere?! I hate to see no real bad guys in sg:u.
                              Dr. Rush is the only bad guy in this episode. I suppose it could be argued that the Lucian Alliance attacking the Icarus base is a bad guy
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I think if anything TJ had something with Col. Young. She was a little too dedicated to his health
                                It came off as just a sort of father-figure/daughter-figure relationship to me, to be honest.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X