This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
    The graphics were very nice, I'll definitely give it that. It's an interesting "flutter" around the Destiny when it's moving. And the score was fantastic. The choice of instruments was quite unique, I felt, and appropriate for their circumstances. But we all knew Joel was a genius already.
    Oh I wholeheartedly agree. The change both in music style and instrumentation is what caught my attention immediately and I feel it played a pivotal role in establishing the overall feel for SGU.
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
      She was a snarky little monster way back at the dinner table, when she was flirting with Eli, then she falls into the cute Marine's arms, "OMG, my poor daddy!" Ugh., it was awful.
      My god... seriously, have you never met a girl before? Since when did a friendly chat become flirting? When were you born? 18th century England?
      Last edited by Shipperahoy; 03 October 2009, 08:27 AM.
      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Too dark for me. Also too much whispering and choppy sentences like you'd find on 24. Everyone talked in short choppy sentences with very little difference between them. No accents and just a few minorities.

Comment

Simply put - WOW...

This is so unique to Stargate, but I love how they have reinvented the franchise but it is STILL entrenched in Stargate mythos! I loved how they expanded the overall story in epic ways, but didn't have to dumb down the dialogue so much that it seems like you're talking to a 3rd grader (caugh: Atlantis). They smoothly go from point to point in the situation = AMAZING acting!

Loved the characters of Dr.Rush and Greer.... these guys are unpredictable and I love characters with intriguing pasts.

I was also blown away by Scott's acting - this is a character that based on previews I wasn't too excited about, but he really grabbed my attention.

Sen.Armstrong - every scene he was in was delivered spot-on. I was honestly almost in tears over his death - it was beautifully done. If they can do that naturally and for a charater we hardly knew, just imagine how powerful it will be if a character that becomes established passes away!?

The slow paced but intense story-telling was refreshing. I like action like the next person, but I didn't find this pilot forced in any way.

I cannot wait to learn more about these people.

Comment

Loved it, lots of exposition for the pilot which is understandable just want more episodes so I can see where it goes - pretty much knew everything that was going to happen.

Comment

I really liked this. Didn't mind the slow story telling at all. Sometimes things just take a bit to get out.

Also didn't mind the darkness of it. In fact, I really liked it. I really like shows like BSG, so that aspect of the show didn't bother me.

My favorite characters were Eli and Rush. I really thought it was cool that they got Eli because of a video game. Great, now gamers can think that their gaming might be good for something. Rush just has a whole agenda of his own, and I can't wait to see whats up. I think he just wants to go where no "man" has gone before, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                I really thought it was cool that they got Eli because of a video game. Great, now gamers can think that their gaming might be good for something.

The best part of that for me was that Cheyanne Mountain made that for SGU. It gives a little glimpse of the off again on again Stargate Worlds MMO.
                Jack O'Neill: If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do.
                Daniel: You mean bluff?
                Jack O'Neill: Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know.
                Daniel: Which is nothing.
                Jack O'Neill: Right. But they don't know we know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                  Interesting premise, nice look to the sets and lighting, but I'm not a fan of shakycam and hope it stops.

I didn't like it as much as some other folks but that was because I really couldn't identify with the characters, who seemed to be wallowing in self-pity and selfishness.

The Good Characters:

Dr. Rush - but Carlyle makes everything he does interesting. His acting ability puts some of the others to shame and makes them probably look worse than they are, but I'm intrigued by him.

Scott - not sure if that is his first or last name, with all the bantering with only, "Lt!", or "Sargeant!". It would have helped to add names more often, as when this show ended, I only remembered a few names. This guy was cute, has potential - not quite a Col. Sheppard (potential maybe), but I glazed over a bit when he started comforting crybaby senator's daughter. As my 17 year old son put it. . ."I'd take her out - right to the airlock."

The BAD Characters:

Eli - Sorry, but he is nothing more than a fat Wesley Crusher who will irritate and turn off fans just like Wesley did. Luckily for Star Trek fans, Wesley got the ole heave-ho in time to save the show.

Chloe - I thought SGA's Dr. Keller was the worst whiny-butt crybaby I'd ever seen on TV, but this gal tops her. Some may like her, but she was obviously hired to cry and mope and look all pouty like Summer Glau (who I happen to like).

Col. Everett - Absolutely detestable. Couldn't stand any scene he was in, not one, and I was SO hoping he would die from his injuries. Leaving the inexperienced Scott in charge would have been more fun. I really can't take his negativity and robotic acting for very long. Kill him off, soon!

The Doc/Medic - whatever her name was. What was with that gawd-awful HAIR???

The Others? Didn't see much. The Asian gal was a witch, some of the others, well, they really weren't defined at all.

The Really BAD - it didn't bother me personally, but the sex scene in the beginning was rather jarring for a Stargate show, especially since Stargate has a reputation as a FAMILY show. It could/should have been removed. It wasn't needed and felt out of place.

Poor Lou Diamond Phillips - all that hype, for what? Did he even have any lines????

The communicating/body transferring stones were overused in SG1 and SGA. Please have them get sucked out a broken window!

Overall, it gets a C+, and I'm hoping they can tweak this more and get some of the negativity out. Even BSG characters weren't this nasty to each other. Seeing the old SG1 folks made me realize just how much I missed them, and how fun they were, and how "unfun" this new bunch is.

I'll give it another week or two, but the characters need to lighten up, quit bellyaching, and start working together to survive.
                  overly critical much?

chloe had just watched her dad who she was obviously close to die, who wouldn't lose it

and complaining about the medics hair thats a bit petty, i happened to like it

what is it with stargate fans and sex i mean 2 consenting adults on screen for like 20 seconds and showing nothing ,if i had kids i'd rather they see that than something like a wraith feeding

a lot of characters did strike me as unpleasant but any large group of people theres gonna be conflict and they were in a really stressful situation.

the way they chose the team at the end makes it look like we won't be getting a regular team and it'll be mission specific could be a good way to get to know all the characters.

i'm thinking theres someone there who can't be trusted, someone must have told the lucian alliance something
                  Last edited by dosed150; 02 October 2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

The show strikes me as Stargate trying to imitate Battlestar Galactica with the sense of hopelessness on an aging ship out in the middle of nowhere looking for a way to Earth.

At least they have the dysfunctional family part of it down pat. While this scenario pretty much treads on where the Atlantis pilot and premise went, it really did it a whole lot better because in Atlantis you never really got the sense that the team was in any real danger. In this show, two episodes in and the life support isn't even fixed yet and named characters are already dying (and let's face it, the way the Senator went out meant a lot more than when Sumner died in Atlantis).

I seriously hope this show doesn't remain too depressing, as that's one of the things that turned me away from BSG. Universe can have its dark moments as long as it remembers that Stargate wasn't completely about being serious 24/7.
                    I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

I liked the first 20 minutes or so, but then the whole thing became a bit of a snooze fest as it settled into its 'character moments'. The whole thing really started to drag.
                      If the character moments were compelling enough, then my interest would of stayed. Instead, all we got was the usual cliche stuff. Nothing of much depth or difference.
                      Will give it another couple of eps, but if it becomes minimal plot + character reflection, reflection,reflection, then I can see the viewers driftng off.
                      I'm sure it'll get stellar numbers for the premiere, but i suspect about 25% of the audience will peel off.

Comment

Well finally can give my review of the premiere.

What can I say, character driven shows need to have good characters that also circle around a solid plot. Well SGU had that all. Rush and Eli and even Lt. Scott seems to really feed off eachother. I also love the conflict scenes with Rush and Young which I am sure more intense moments are yet to come. Did not care for Chloe or Greer. But it is only the premiere. Chloe did have one good scene when her Father dies. I loved when she went after Rush. Rush's reaction was brilliant. Because you really don't know if he is sincere or just playing along. Which of course Eli then questions Rush if he cares. I liked that also.

One of my favorite lines besides the funny ones like the gum ball machine comment, was when Rush says "What makes you think I won't try" So yeah we are in for some really powerful character moments.

As per the sex scene, I think people are overracting with this. It was a mere small sex scene. I doubt SGU is going to be like BSG where everyone is sleeping with everyone.

I also loved when the ship dialed a nearby stargate and a timer went off. That made it feel so much like Stargate for me that I was impressed. Now the adventures of exploration are back...........oh wait it never left. SGU is still Stargate and exploration is just one thing that will remain.

Also, Music and Effects were great, but that is expected with a high budget.

One final note, um where was LDP? I did see him in the credits, lol. I am sure he'll be back for the next ep.

So the ep gets a 9/10 from me. It dragged a little in the first part. But it was expected to do so.

Oh and things are still predictable like the Senator's death, but just like SG-1 and SGA they still made the best even if we knew it was going to happen.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amakusa View Post
                          The show strikes me as Stargate trying to imitate Battlestar Galactica with the sense of hopelessness on an aging ship out in the middle of nowhere looking for a way to Earth.

At least they have the dysfunctional family part of it down pat. While this scenario pretty much treads on where the Atlantis pilot and premise went, it really did it a whole lot better because in Atlantis you never really got the sense that the team was in any real danger. In this show, two episodes in and the life support isn't even fixed yet and named characters are already dying (and let's face it, the way the Senator went out meant a lot more than when Sumner died in Atlantis).

I seriously hope this show doesn't remain too depressing, as that's one of the things that turned me away from BSG. Universe can have its dark moments as long as it remembers that Stargate wasn't completely about being serious 24/7.
                          I don't know what everyone is talking about, but I thought there was far more humour in the episode than there were in the entire series of BSG. Sure, it may not have been as apparently as in SG-1 or SGA, but then again, the situation didn't really call for laugh out loud humour, but the witty banter, the little jokes, they're all there. Most of Eli's moments are pretty humourous, Franklin sees like another character who'll provide comedic moments. I especially love the bit at the end when they're choosing the away team, and Eli points at Franklin as an example of someone who shouldn't be going offworld as much as he himself should. Riley also seems like someone who'll be a funny character to watch.
                          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_5124 View Post
                            While I very much enjoyed the episode I felt it lacked some things that are important to a pilot. First it really didn't wow me at all, nothing about it made me think this would attract new people to the franchise. Second I really don't like how they used tech with a back story, the ancient com devices and earth having interstellar ships, without at least some background on the tech.
                            I will give you that on the comm device. How the heck did they make 2 of them let alone one?

But i kinda loved the way they had those tapes the newbies watched to get informed.

One nit that someone pointed out in the live air thread...when the ancients were on EArth, our PoO was IO not the /\ symbol. that symbol belonged to the second gate unearthed in giza, not earth's first gate, the antarctic gate
                            Great catch. It was a little off, them using the more modern symbol.

[quote]But Rush is just nuts...he may have good intentions, but he's just odd../quote]

He seems to me to be how daniel was in season 1. Optimistic and too much into the learning things over anything else. heck i think he is a little obsessed with learning.

[quote]and again how did the attack cause the planet to explode? if the weapons fire was enough to set off the core how did it not go off when they dug the hole to put the base in/quote]

IIRC the gate was some how linked into the core, to gather the power needed. Since they had already taxed it, when the weapons fire came in it was making it more unstable.

[quote]The BAD Characters:

Eli - Sorry, but he is nothing more than a fat Wesley Crusher who will irritate and turn off fans just like Wesley did. Luckily for Star Trek fans, Wesley got the ole heave-ho in time to save the show./quote]

Agreed on him, but i do feel he might mellow out some.

The Others? Didn't see much. The Asian gal was a witch, some of the others, well, they really weren't defined at all.
                            Is it me, or since she is IOA, was that the same asian chick who tried unsuccessfully to get Sam reassigned and take over atlantis? Or was that Woosley.

Her father DIED. He effectively KILLED HIMSELF. I'm sorry she wasn't stoic enough for you when faced with her father's excruciating death mere meters from where she stood.

She was collapsing with grief. I doubt she took the time to check who was catching her.

And gulping down wine is considered flirtation now? Really?
                            Agreed, her reaction to her father dying was in no way over the top or out of line. Heck i loved her turning her grief into anger and smacking Rush..

As to the wine. I have seen many instances in my US Navy career where someone chugged something to avoid speaking out of line when getting embarrassed by someones speech.

The ancient communication stones - they cant figure out how to turn off the stones when there in the communication device, but they can use them with some sort of earth-base stone communicator? Seriously?
                            Agreed. Since we have twice now, destroyed the ones we came accross, how in the heck did we manage to reverse engineer 2 of them.

[quote]The ship was launched from Earth, 'several hundred thousand years ago'. We know that Atlantis left for Pegasus several million years ago,/quote]

IMO that was just a faux pas on their part, which i hope will be corrected in a few eps.

Comment

It was definitely different in comparison to SG-1 and Atlantis. I am hoping that they are going to introduce an enemy soon, unless the ship is their enemy

Comment

Overall I enjoyed the show quite a bit. The tone and look is definately much different but that's fine with me. I loved SG-1 but it was it's own animal and I wouldn't want to see SG-1 redux. Nothing will ever be SG-1 so I'm glad to see that this show is definately it's own entity.

I was a bit concerned that with a cast this large that the characters wouldn't/couldn't be fully developed but so far they've done a very good job at establishing each character's different personality.

As far as this sex scene goes, I was a bit taken aback. Not because I am opposed to sex in my sci-fi, I just wasn't expecting it. I know a lot of people feel that it was unnecessary and gratuitous but I think that it was part of establishing the character. It was a little more graphic than I had expected though and I hope that it's not a regular thing. I'm not a prude by any means and, like I said, I'm not opposed to sexual relationships in my entertainment, but I just don't want it to be to the detriment of the plot/characters.

I look forward to seeing what they do with this bedraggled group of survivors and how they respond to the dire circumstances. Although it's a very careful line to walk. It could very easily veer into the melodramatic.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X