Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    it gotta be more than that or else he wouldve got hanged
    ...and the gate locked, so they couldn't shut it down. The only way out WAS the 9th chevron because they allowed Rush to dial the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
      ...and the gate locked, so they couldn't shut it down. The only way out WAS the 9th chevron because they allowed Rush to dial the gate.
      Exactly, as much as Young didn't want to send people to some unknown place through the gate he didn't really have a choice. The planet was about to explode and it was impossible at that point to disconnect the gate and dial another address. It was also impossible to lower the shields to beam them up, because once the shields were down there was to great a risk of the base being destroyed before everyone could be rescued. If I was in command in that type of situation I would order an evacuation through the gate too, since it was the best change of saving as many lives as possible.
      sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

none of this explains Rush's actions. sure you could explain it, but to be innocent civilians even at stake is too villainous for a main character. he wasnt even guilty afterward. dialing earth was a safe bet, only a black hole can affect wormholes, not explosions. if he returns to earth he will be punished for this which is why he never will want to go back, and hes the only one capable.
        sigpic

Comment

none of this explains Rush's actions. sure you could explain it, but to be innocent civilians even at stake is too villainous for a main character. he wasnt even guilty afterward. dialing earth was a safe bet, only a black hole can affect wormholes, not explosions. if he returns to earth he will be punished for this which is why he never will want to go back, and hes the only one capable.
          And that's what makes SGU good. The only guy who's capable of returning the crew to Earth doesn't want to, as he'd prefer to stay onboard the Destiny for either curiousity, or other motives. Plus, as you said, he'd probably be arrested back on Earth for endangering the crew.

Comment

if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?
            I was thinking about this, and perhaps dialing Destiny was the best choice because it created a "valve" for the increasing power output from the planet. If they had dialed a Milky Way (or even a Pegasus) Stargate, maybe the planet would have exploded more quickly.

By sucking energy from the unstable core to maintain a trans-universal wormhole, Rush might have at least bought enough time for Greer and Young to rescue the people trapped by the fallen ceiling.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
              It was Rush who canceled the dialing sequence to earth that someone had started to do and decided to dial the 9th Cheveron instead. From what I gathered from the episode he did so because he felt that it was the only opportunity that he would have of being able to do so.

Obviously a poor decision if you ask me as they had no idea what they were going to encounter on the other side of that wormhole. Luckily it wasn't worse than it could have been. However what is done is done. And now they have to deal with being billions of light years from earth. With limited supplies, and no way to get back home as of yet
              It was a bad plot premise. If you look at the original Stargate movie and show, there were motivational factors for opening the gate. Heading home to Earth was the only rational choice.

When Rush was explaining why he stopped dialing Earth, the show pretty much hung there in no man's land. Rush put them in danger for selfish reasons. At least Daniel Jackson's excuse made sense.

It had to be the longest "I am in a rush to get off the planet" scene I have ever seen. Yawn. They had plenty of time to redial Earth.

Rush is a very dry and boring character.
              Last edited by Col. Tomorian; 08 October 2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                The decision to not dial Earth was correct. The force of the exploding planet would certainly take out the SGC, a large portion of the state and possibly the planet.
                <snip>
                They could have gated to an alternate planet which was safe and from which they could then continue to Earth.
                If the explosion from the core threatened Earth, then it would also have threatened the "alternate" planet which might also have harbored sentient life. There would have been no returning to Earth as the explosion would have chased them through the wormhole no matter where they went, even to Destiny itself which would have been destroyed. And since that didn't happen, it brings us back to the real motive for Rush's decision.

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                Rush's choice for an alternate destination was purely selfish. <snip>Yes, he did not know what would be on the other side of the wormhole, but that is the entire point. He made a decision to further his own interests which, as it turns out, put the other X number of people at continued risk. <snip>He chose to put them into the unknown.<snip>
                Yep. Selfish. That's the real reason. Rush had worked on the project for years. It was his last chance to solve the mystery of the ninth chevron.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity?
                  Yes

what is he hitler?
                  No.

and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way ey beamed them there in the beginning?
                  Carter said that the Icarus base shields were up, I guest this is the local dampening field that they developed to prevent unauthorised transports into the base.

Originally posted by bakail View Post
                  Because Dr. Rush wanted to dial the 9th Chevron purely to satisfy his ego and I suspect, have the manpower to explore the universe. I think he knew he couldn't do it on his own and needed a little help and I also suspect that he knew it was going to be a one way trip for a while. Sorta like the evil doctor guy in "Lost in Space". If there is another person to blame for the situation aboard the "Destiny", it would be COL. Young.

After he got to the gate room he was immediately informed that Dr. Rush had dialed the 9th Chevron and also was informed that the gate could not be shut down. He then got a call from 1LT. Scott that he had people trapped and needed assistance. Instead of telling everyone to sit tight and wait for further orders, he could of had them start passing the expedition's supplies throught the gate so they would have something to work with and live on if they were stuck on the other side, which of course, they were or no SGU. There were plenty of supply boxes strewn about the gateroom when COL. Young was going through the gate.

In the plot of the show, I don't think the extra supplies would make a difference, so I'm speaking from my own personal decision making process, but it would make sense. As far as the gate shutting down once the last piece went through, they could of spaced things out because as I understand it, the gate will stay open for 38 minutes. My two cents.
                  Actually those supplies if they all gotten through would of made a difference in the pilote. Doctor Rush ask why he was looking at the filter whether silver something? manage to come through with the supplies someone said no. If they have manage to get that through then he could of fixed the air supply an senator armstrong would not have to sacriface himself to save the ship.
                  So really it was not Rush fault he dead but COL. Young, just shows Chloe is not the most intelligent person on that ship and she was in the gate room.

Comment

The thing that he asked for was

Spoiler:
                    Soda Lime which is used as a CO2 scrubber

Although I doubt they would have had enough to make a difference for very long, but it could have given more time to find another substitute
                    sigpic

Comment

if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?
                      I guess because that would have made it the shortest SG series ever made, and it was pretty self explanatory. Rush is clearly putting his interest in his research before the good of the people involved.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        If they have manage to get that through then he could of fixed the air supply an senator armstrong would not have to sacriface himself to save the ship.
                        That's not entirely accurate: if they had had the soda lime, they could have fixed the C02 scubbers, but they would have not had any reason to do so because all of their air would have leaked out through the shuttle before CO2 buildup became an issue (they had about an hour before the shuttle sucked out all their air, but about a day before CO2 buildup became lethal).

Basically, either way, someone had to go into the shuttle and shut the door.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I think its reasonable to conclude that Rush knew exactly where they where going to end up, would someone has smart as Rush clearly is go through a wormhole if he truly had no idea what was on the other side?

There are a LOT of examples of planets we've seen in SG1 and Atlantis where they would have been completely screwed had they actually ended up on one of them.

To mention just a few:

Stargate in orbit of a planet (Various Atlantis episodes)
                          Stargate on its side (A Hundred Days)
                          Black Hole (Matter of Time)
                          Ancient knowledge repository room (The Fifth Race)
                          Desert planets (Various SG1 episodes)
                          Dead planets (Proclarush Taonas)

I don't think Rush would roll the dice, he probably found some research he never told anyone about.

Comment

rush said its too dangerous and the blast wave from the core exploding could follow them through the gate, which would be bad =].. and yes as that other guy said because SGU would have been 1 episode long...

Comment

Originally posted by kinseySG View Post
                              rush said its too dangerous and the blast wave from the core exploding could follow them through the gate, which would be bad =]..
                              Uh, well, to quote myself from an earlier post:

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                              If the explosion from the core threatened Earth, then it would also have threatened the "alternate" planet which might also have harbored sentient life. There would have been no returning to Earth as the explosion would have chased them through the wormhole no matter where they went, even to Destiny itself which would have been destroyed. . . .
                              And of course, that didn't happen.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Doesn't Rush, who is advanced thinker, have the right to believe that the Ancients wouldn't have the 9th Chevron activate to a random gate that could be compromised? While the ship is not in the best shape, there is plenty of evidence to suggest the Ancients never intended for it to be flying around this long, at least not without them aboard.

Wasn't the whole base, at least any of the civies and a few of the military personnel working for 6 months, maybe longer, to go through the gate to wherever the 9th Chevron led?

Probably some of the civies were a little disappointed that it didn't lead to a paradise of tech and nature, but you don't always get what you want.

I am not suggesting Rush was right but I am not surprised he made that decision, what I find surprising is that nobody at the base who was working on the same project feels that Rush was right.

Comment

Working...
                                X