No announcement yet.

Why didnt they dial another gate???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks are very conveniently assuming that Rush *knew* he was dialing to a rust-bucket ship billions of lightyears away... Wow, he has some foresight!
    sigpic

Comment

Rush had a good reason for not dialing Earth. His reason for dialing the ninth chevron was his personal obsession with doing so.

Yes, it wasn't the smartest thing. Rush was acting irrationally. Slightly contrived, but I'll forgive a contrivance when it is critical to the setup for the entire show.

Comment

I don't even think the danger to Earth was even real.
        The explosion obvious jumpted the wormhole which is why it shut down immediately after Young went through. That so called fire ball wasn't powerful enough to destroy the gate. I've looked at it a couple of times....I can't even find a reason to say what propeled any of the refugees that fast.

Comment

the fireball itself may not have been, but the whole planet blew up...
          I do agree though that his "reasoning" for not dialing Earth may not have been valid, but without that there wouldn't be much of a show
          sigpic

Comment

Rush wanted dial the ninth chevron for his ego. Rush also said that the core was unstable and he "thought" that if the core exploded the energy would go through the stargate to Earth. Either way you are probably screwed no matter what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
              well it didnt make any sense to me. so Rush just put these people in danger on purpose to satisfy his curiosity?
              Yes.

what is he hitler?
              Robert Carlyle did play Hitler in The Rise of Evil, but that's where the similarities end.

and why didnt the Hammond beam the people out of there, the same way they beamed them there in the beginning?
              Shields were up, usually that should prevent beaming. Or, the Hatak took out the Hammond's beamers when they attacked.

Comment

I also think I remember Carter saying that Icarus had those dampener things that prevent the use of Asgard Beaming tech.
                sigpic

Comment

The answers to all of these questions could be found by actually watching the pilot.
                  "God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." - Dean Winchester

Comment

Because Dr. Rush wanted to dial the 9th Chevron purely to satisfy his ego and I suspect, have the manpower to explore the universe. I think he knew he couldn't do it on his own and needed a little help and I also suspect that he knew it was going to be a one way trip for a while. Sorta like the evil doctor guy in "Lost in Space". If there is another person to blame for the situation aboard the "Destiny", it would be COL. Young.

After he got to the gate room he was immediately informed that Dr. Rush had dialed the 9th Chevron and also was informed that the gate could not be shut down. He then got a call from 1LT. Scott that he had people trapped and needed assistance. Instead of telling everyone to sit tight and wait for further orders, he could of had them start passing the expedition's supplies throught the gate so they would have something to work with and live on if they were stuck on the other side, which of course, they were or no SGU. There were plenty of supply boxes strewn about the gateroom when COL. Young was going through the gate.

In the plot of the show, I don't think the extra supplies would make a difference, so I'm speaking from my own personal decision making process, but it would make sense. As far as the gate shutting down once the last piece went through, they could of spaced things out because as I understand it, the gate will stay open for 38 minutes. My two cents.

Comment

Don't forget that Rush looks really... injured.
                      His wife (?) died.

I think Rush has a serious problem of depression, and it's a shame Icarus' doc didn't notice it.
                      It wasn't only a "putting them in danger for curiosity", in my opinion.

It was more of a real suicide mission. I imagine Rush thinking : "Maybe behind that gate there's a reason to live again, or inevitable death. Whatever."

Comment

The decision to not dial Earth was correct. The force of the exploding planet would certainly take out the SGC, a large portion of the state and possibly the planet. Look at the "A Matter of Time" episode as an example of what the concerns are.

Rush's choice for an alternate destination was purely selfish. If he was able to do things differently, I suspect that Rush might have been quite happy to have the rest of folks gate to a safe location while he then went to the destination achieved by dialing the ninth chevron. Yes, he did not know what would be on the other side of the wormhole, but that is the entire point. He made a decision to further his own interests which, as it turns out, put the other X number of people at continued risk. They could have gated to an alternate planet which was safe and from which they could then continue to Earth. He chose to put them into the unknown. Any future decisions or solutions he comes up with will be viewed with suspicion. Is this plan completely necessary as has been scripted by Rush, or has he added a few unnecessary, perilous side trips which could gather some info to further his own interests?

regards,
                        G.
                        Go for Marty...

Comment

Because Rush is obsessed with finding out what is on the nine chevron address
                          Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                          ---
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PacoJr67 View Post
                            the fireball itself may not have been, but the whole planet blew up...
                            I do agree though that his "reasoning" for not dialing Earth may not have been valid, but without that there wouldn't be much of a show
                            I wish they hadn't made that so ambiguous.
                            They could have engineered the seen better be more natural, to make more sense why they JUST had to go through.

Say like...they had successfully dialed and the weapons fire from the ha'taks had made the core unstable and they couldn't guarantee getting another connection if they shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                              Say like...they had successfully dialed and the weapons fire from the ha'taks had made the core unstable and they couldn't guarantee getting another connection if they shut it down.
                              That probably would have worked better. If; for instance, they had made the connection and then the ha'taks showed up. And then weren't able to dial earth because the system locked up.
                              A simple reordering of events goes a long way...
                              sigpic

Comment

Others have stated it already. Rush knew it migh be his last chance to ever try using the code, so instead of going to earth and being safe, he instead tried gating using the 9th cheveron.

Comment

Working...
                                X