Why didnt they dial another gate???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, it's not "they" it's Rush!

They didn't dial to another planet because they didn't discuss about it.

Only Rush took the liberty to change the Earth dialing to the 9symbol address, after believing in Eli's supposition for the 9th chevron.
    Rush rushed! There was no time to argue, he dialed what he wanted to dial, and not waste years of research. For him, it never occured to dial another planet.
    If they had a reasonable meeting before deciding where to go, of course, the logical answer would have been to retreat somewhere safe..
    But they didn't decide in commom, only Rush is responsible.
    That's why, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
      Because Rush wanted to dial the 9th chevron, so he took advantage of the confusion that occurred during the attack to dial out to that instead of a gate in our galaxy.
      Yes, he said this was his life's work. After the way he looks at his (I believe) dead wife's pic, it is a way for him to keep her dream alive.

The only reason why they are not at the Beta site or some other site is because of Rush...and yes the show would be over. Everything that happens now is Rush's fault, but he spins the truth in a way to make it not look like that.

http://violetvision78.livejournal.com/
      *ponders updating sig*

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
        well, it's not "they" it's Rush!

Only Rush took the liberty to change the Earth dialing to the 9symbol address, after believing in Eli's supposition for the 9th chevron.
        Rush rushed! There was no time to argue, he dialed what he wanted to dial, and not waste years of research. For him, it never occured to dial another planet.
        If they had a reasonable meeting before deciding where to go, of course, the logical answer would have been to retreat somewhere safe..
        But they didn't decide in commom, only Rush is responsible.
        That's why, I think.
        I also think that Rush knew this was the last chance to dial the 9th, so he took it when he knew for safety they needed to dial one close to earth.

Rush did not even know if there was breathable air on the other side. What if they gated to the ice world first off and not the ship?
        Last edited by Explorerwinds; 06 November 2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: added last 2 sentences

http://violetvision78.livejournal.com/
        *ponders updating sig*

Comment

Originally posted by Explorerwinds View Post
          I also think that Rush knew this was the last chance to dial the 9th, so he took it when he knew for safety they needed to dial one close to earth.

Rush did not even know if there was breathable air on the other side. What if they gated to the ice world first off and not the ship?
          Well, from what I understood about the 9th chevron principles, the only possible destination would have been on a ship like the Destiny, not a planet. (but couldn't they theoretically program a 9-symbol address to any stargate they choose?)
          Anyway, even in the ship, I'm surprised there was even oxygen inside.
          They were very (extremely, unbelieveably) lucky to benefit from these few hours of air!...

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
            if they didnt want to dial earth so why didnt they dial any other planet?
            once in a life time opportunity

do you dial the 9th chevron and finally found out what it goes to. or do yu throw away your chance and save 88 people ??

i choose dialing the 9th chevron
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
              I wish they hadn't made that so ambiguous.
              They could have engineered the seen better be more natural, to make more sense why they JUST had to go through.

Say like...they had successfully dialed and the weapons fire from the ha'taks had made the core unstable and they couldn't guarantee getting another connection if they shut it down.
              That may have been more reasonable; however, I get the feeling that Rush is supposed to be a lot like Baltar (though not as awesome), the genius scientist who you're not sure you can trust, because you're unclear of what his desires and intentions are. If they had taken a more reasonable route, then what other reason would we have to not trust Rush?

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
              none of this explains Rush's actions. sure you could explain it, but to be innocent civilians even at stake is too villainous for a main character. he wasnt even guilty afterward. dialing earth was a safe bet, only a black hole can affect wormholes, not explosions. if he returns to earth he will be punished for this which is why he never will want to go back, and hes the only one capable.
              But that's what the writers want. They want him to be the main character, who is also the selfish, crazy scientist. The writers want him to be the character you love to hate, and Young to be the character you hate to love.

Rush is a very dry and boring character.
              They're not all that successful at making him the next Baltar are they? It's kinda sad...

THAT's what I would say is the real plot hole. You would think they'd have a planned evacuation planets other than Earth, in cases of sudden evacuation...In fact, it could have made Rush an even more deliciously crazy, selfish scientist if that were the case.

Well, from what I understood about the 9th chevron principles, the only possible destination would have been on a ship like the Destiny, not a planet. (but couldn't they theoretically program a 9-symbol address to any stargate they choose?)
              Anyway, even in the ship, I'm surprised there was even oxygen inside.
              They were very (extremely, unbelieveably) lucky to benefit from these few hours of air!...
              They probably could have, but then again they'd probably trust the code given by the Ancients would lead to a safe place. Plus one can assume that the scientists figured, that the 9 digit code left for them would lead to a Stargate with the capability to withstand the energy needed for "long-distance travel" without major consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post

Originally Posted by Arga

Originally Posted by natyanayaki

They probably could have, but then again they'd probably trust the code given by the Ancients would lead to a safe place. Plus one can assume that the scientists figured, that the 9 digit code left for them would lead to a Stargate with the capability to withstand the energy needed for "long-distance travel" without major consequences.
                oh, sorry, in fact, by "they" i meant the Ancients..
                The Ancients made this 9symbols address go to the Destiny, but if they wanted I think they could have programmed other 9symbols-addresses to go to any other "special" stargate they choose.

Comment

oh, sorry, in fact, by "they" i meant the Ancients..
                  The Ancients made this 9symbols address go to the Destiny, but if they wanted I think they could have programmed other 9symbols-addresses to go to any other "special" stargate they choose.
                  Ohhhh! Yes, I think so, if they found another Icarus-like planet or something?

Comment

If it was too dangerous to dial Earth on the chance that the energy from Icarus would translate through the gate, it would also have the same effect on another planet in the Milky Way. My theory is that given the distance for the ninth chevron (and they'd know it was a greater distance from the eighth chevron), Rush realised that the build up from the planet would only be stable-ish if they went a great distance away. Notice that they walked through the gate but were flung through the other end, an indicator that there was a huge amount of energy translating through the gate despite the distance. When Icarus started to explode, Young jumped through and was flung the length of the Destiny gateroom. Also recall, the kawoosh at Icarus when the ninth chevron connected was so big that people ducked and got out of the way. Rush may have wanted the ninth chevron for whatever reason but to my mind, he actually saved everyone's lives by dialling it.

Comment

Working...
                    X