No announcement yet.

MSgt. Ronald Greer Discussion/Jamil Walker/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish he wont be the quiet tough guy like Teal'c but have more cool "badass" line like: "Subtle man, Subtle" or "You don't want to kill me, I don't want to kill you". We didn't see much of him, so thats my hope.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
      I wish he wont be the quiet tough guy like Teal'c but have more cool "badass" line like: "Subtle man, Subtle" or "You don't want to kill me, I don't want to kill you". We didn't see much of him, so thats my hope.
      I totally agree. I am intrigued by Greer so far, and I'm very much looking forward to learning more about him. He has a very unique personality that I didn't expect would happen.
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

I really took to him very quickly - much more quickly than I expected to. I suppose I had assumed he would be one dimensional, but he's clearly not. I like him a lot and think he could be a great character to watch.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
          I really took to him very quickly - much more quickly than I expected to. I suppose I had assumed he would be one dimensional, but he's clearly not. I like him a lot and think he could be a great character to watch.
          If I were on that ship, I think I'd stick closest to Greer, because if some beastie jumped out from somewhere, I'd trust him most to kill it dead!
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I think Greer just has no patience with other people which doesn't help...and he just has a bad temper. I don't see it being more complicated then that. Although he does have some calmness in situations like these, he should be a good character to watch...but I can see developments coming with his character.
            Tst

Comment

Okay, so was I the only one who thought it was a little disappointing that the only black guy on the show happens to be represented negatively (e.g. getting in trouble, pushing Rush around)?

I also felt that when he was pushing Rush around on the desert planet, it was a really lame moment. I don't know, I just couldn't help laughing, the interaction between Rush and Greer was simply very amusing. Like what?! Get real! Rush was like whining "give me water!" And it was such a lame scene. I don't know how you can watch that and not ask yourself "is this really happening?"

Comment

Greer is going to be shot by rush.

Comment

Greer is my absolute favourite character thus far! I like how his character is portrayed. I think there is a lot of potential for character development for him as well as all the SGU characters.... I'm not going to judge any character until just after the 3rd episode anyways. I mean, you can't really know someone's character just after three episode.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                  MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Greer is the teal'c/ronan of the show.

Comment

Greer is going to be shot by rush.
                      Agreed, if I was Rush, the first time I was given a gun Greer wouldn't come back from that mission - pretty screwed up team when you are guessing which one will murder the other first.

Comment

At the moment my opinions on the characters are all over the place. I just don't know what to make of Rush, one minute his all about saving the ship and the next his whining in the Desert. And Eli, in the first part of the premier he was ok and I thought he would be a decent character. But come the second and third parts he was an annoying lil sh!t. Honestly I wanted him to die.

For me, Greer is fairly one dimensional, his just the stereotypical black soldier at the moment. And that's not being racist, I mean stereotypical in the sense that he is the 'black soldier' regularly depicted on TV and in films.
                        Meh.

Comment

Greer was not written as a black guy, okay? JM confirmed it today in his blog:
                          I’ve mentioned in previous entries that the “angry military character” – Ron “Psycho” Stasiak – was not originally envisioned as a young black man. But Jamil Walker Smith blew us away with his audition and landed the role.
                          So your point in that he's a disappointing portrayal of a black guy is moot.

That said, I like him. Wild and unpredictable. I can't hate that.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I like Greer a lot. This group needs a 'greer' - they are ill-disciplined and self-seeking (including Greer), but at least Greer has a sense of duty. He could have let Rush die - he didn't. He could have left Scott behind - he didn't. Sometimes you need a strong character who will cross the line when you have a bunch of people who are all crossing the same line. This will show us what the guy is made of, and I'm interested in seeing exactly what that is.

das
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't see him as represented negatively to be honest. I think Rush jumped to the stereotypical conclusion that Greer being black meant that outside Military Service Greer would be either dead or in prison. Considering Greer just laughed it off, I do believe there is a backstory to explain why Greer has problems with Rush (I don't recall learning why Greer was locked up in Air pt1) and perhaps even issues with the Icarus mission.

I think that the relationship between Greer and Rush will be more realistic when it comes to their interactions as opposed to O'Neill and Jackson and even Sheppard and McKay.

I think that Greer not being in command of the mission or an exploration team, it allows him to be more vocal about his issues, similar to Feretti and Jackson in the original movie, as O'Neil in the movie, O'Neill with Carter and even Sheppard with McKay couldn't exactly take out their frustrations. That said, I think we could have seen a similar scene in the original movie had Jackson been willing to stand up for himself, unlike Rush who was willing to fight with a trained US soldier because of it.

sigpic

Comment

I assume that since Greer was assigned to Icarus that he is, in general, a good person and a good soldier. and that something happened at Icarus that got him confined
                                If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                                Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Working...
                                X