No announcement yet.

MSgt. Ronald Greer Discussion/Jamil Walker/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Greer, he is probably my favourite character so far. He is the type of person that they will need in their given situation, he seems very dependable in a lot of senses. The scene between Greer and Rush was not bad at all i though, it reminded us that unlike SG-1 and SGA these guys are not going to be all lovey dovey for the most part. Rush' survival instinct kicked in and we saw an animalistic side to him. They are all just trying to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      Definitely. Though I liked Teal'c and Ronon, they were too quiet and too focused. Greer's explosiveness is unpredictable, like a solar flare. You know it's coming but you're not sure how intense it's going to be or what shape and direction.
      Yeah I do like the fact that anything can set him off! The face off with Camile was unexpected too.

As for Riley, come on. He's got the cool deadpan sarcasm thing down pat. He and Volker are going to create some interesting laughs as the season goes along. Greer will generate cheers and laughs for me too. Kicking Rush was more satisfying than when Chloe went all hysterics and started pummeling Rush.
      Ok you're right, Riley does have something...I like the straight face he has during the delivery of that sarcasm.

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
      : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
        Yeah I do like the fact that anything can set him off! The face off with Camile was unexpected too.
        I'm pretty sure that Greer's status is going to be a point of contention. He hasn't exactly endeared himself to either Camille Wray or Rush. If they end up having a triumvirate ruling system with the Destiny consisting of Young, Rush, and Wray, the Colonel may find himself outvoted and Greer detained. If they do try something like that, I'm sure Greer will not go quietly.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Greer's status is going to be a point of contention. He hasn't exactly endeared himself to either Camille Wray or Rush. If they end up having a triumvirate ruling system with the Destiny consisting of Young, Rush, and Wray, the Colonel may find himself outvoted and Greer detained. If they do try something like that, I'm sure Greer will not go quietly.
          If something like this happened, I think it would be interesting for Eli to actually be the one to help Greer get out of it. The Greer/Eli relationship is developing in a surprisingly positive way, and I'd like to see some kind of mutual loyalty come from that.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
            If something like this happened, I think it would be interesting for Eli to actually be the one to help Greer get out of it. The Greer/Eli relationship is developing in a surprisingly positive way, and I'd like to see some kind of mutual loyalty come from that.
            So far it's been a, I trust you (Eli) more than I trust him (Rush) relationship. Other than that I haven't seen much interaction between them at all.

What have I missed?

Comment

So far it's been a, I trust you (Eli) more than I trust him (Rush) relationship. Other than that I haven't seen much interaction between them at all.

What have I missed?

Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli, who's essentially just a kid. That's a pretty big display of trust. Greer probably did that to irritate Rush as well, and that's a plus for me.
              sigpic

Comment

What have I missed?
                Well, it's more subtle than what Greer has said to him, it more what he hasn't said. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.
                Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli, who's essentially just a kid.
                Greer is 27 and Eli is 29 (at least the actors are).

Comment

Well, it's more subtle than what Greer has said to him, it more what he hasn't said. Greer seems to have a deep dislike for most of the civilians, but in his interactions with Eli he's never been the slightest bit unfriendly. I would usually expect Greer to say something sarcastic to Eli, but it's Matt who does the yelling. These two are completely opposite in every way I can think of, and yet they seem to get along really well.

In "Air, Pt. 1," Greer clearly trusts Eli's judgment about the life-support reset button and backs him up. In "Air, Pt. 2," Greer is easily taking direction from Eli over the radio, and even looking directly into the kino when talking to Eli. In "Air, Pt. 3," Greer trusts Eli to wait for him at the gate and gives him a friendly slap to the chest. Greer even has the patience to come back and show Eli how to use the gun without even one sarcastic comment.
                  I think part of this may be that Eli was willing to volunteer to be on the away mission. It's true that he did slow them down but the fact he was willing to put himself on the line when he didn't have to may have earned him a few respect points from Greer. It's true this is just speculation but it is a possibility.

If they do develop a friendship, and from what we've seen there's certainly the possibility for one, it would definitely be a unique and unexpected one--kind of similar to the interesting friendship that Daniel & Teal'c had.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, Greer was willing to hand a loaded gun to Eli
                    Yep, I did miss the importance of that!

Greer probably did that to irritate Rush as well, and that's a plus for me.
                    Man, Rush really is p***ing you off huh hehehehe

Great points...again, I've totally overlooked the importance of these points! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Man, Rush really is p***ing you off huh hehehehe
                      Here's my thing on Rush. I wouldn't say he's pissing me off per se. In fact, I actually like his character because I'm supposed to dislike him. Though he is, in my opinion, untrustworthy and unscrupulous, Robert Carlyle gives him a nuanced performance, which is a big plus in my book. This is similar to how I feel about Rodney McKay on Atlantis. David Hewlett delivered some pretty outstanding acting for what he was given. However, the character of McKay was a whining, cowardly, self-absorbed little brat who was not nuanced, subtle, or as complex as someone like Rush. For this, McKay has my undying loathing because he could have been so much more. Rush, on the other hand, is already fulfilling his potential. He can be a dangerous and cunning adversary if he puts his mind to it. This is something McKay is simply not capable of. In that sense, Rush can be respected as a powerful enemy. Physically though, he's literally a pushover.

And then there's Greer, who is Rush's bane. Greer knows exactly what Rush is about and he's got his number. He's not going to relent on his resentment of Rush for stranding them on the Destiny. Greer's sense of justice is very defined and he'll come down on Rush like a bag of hammers every chance he gets to let Rush know how angry he is for consigning everyone to wandering out in the far universe.

And he's a badass to boot.
                      sigpic

Comment

One thing I noticed is Greer does not snatch the gun away-- Eli actually hands it to him. It's kinda small in sentiment, but from my experience, it can be debasing to have someone enact the basic mechanisms of a gun for you. But Greer's Body language wasnt the least bit off-putting. He's really patient with and seems very aware of Eli's feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                          Don't forget that when Rush told him to shoot, he shot. This was right after he'd been arguing with Rush about the water. He may not like or trust Rush, he thinks he has a handle on Rush and Rush hasn't a clue about him, etc...but at *that* moment he chose to trust Rush
                          Heh. What you interpreted as him trusting Rush, I interpreted as him requiring less convincing to shoot someone than to share water.
                          Originally posted by jcainhaze View Post
                          I think the Rush/Greer dynamic will be a great part of the show.
                          Yeah. I don't much like Greer at this point, but Rush and Greer definitely seem like foils that will be interesting to see playing off each other.

Comment

My absolute favorite moment for Greer in this episode was when Rush was disparaging Scott about whatever figure from his past he was seeking approval from, he decided to kick Rush rather than saying something. I loved it!
                            Admit it, deep down we ALL want to kick Rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                              One thing I noticed is Greer does not snatch the gun away-- Eli actually hands it to him. It's kinda small in sentiment, but from my experience, it can be debasing to have someone enact the basic mechanisms of a gun for you. But Greer's Body language wasnt the least bit off-putting. He's really patient with and seems very aware of Eli's feelings.
                              Precisely! This is exactly why I think Greer is a much more positive influence than people are giving him credit for. He doesn't tolerate any bullsh*t, and he overreacts sometimes, but he has an inclination and a desire to be a good person to other good people. He recognizes Eli as a person he can trust, despite the fact that they are so different.

Comment

So am I the only one that is glad that there is a character like Greer on the Destiny. Someone who won't put up with people (Rush) giving up, acting like total wusses, etc. I know he probably seems like a total jerk but I think his attitude will have some real benefits to the crew.

Comment

Working...
                                X