I hated but now love sgu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    You're right that the expansion is speeding up, but it's speeding up at the same rate everywhere. That is to say there isn't a part of the universe that is expanding faster than another part.
    yup you are right... they made a 3d model based on the background radiation which shows what parts might be empty and what not and it looked pretty ovalish to me so it must be expanding at the same rate everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
      yup you are right... they made a 3d model based on the background radiation which shows what parts might be empty and what not and it looked pretty ovalish to me so it must be expanding at the same rate everywhere...
      The irony is that that map shows some things that actually break the idea that space expands everywhere at the same rate.
      For example it contains the "axis of Evil" which is a line that divides the universe into a cold and hot part, and there's a big cold spot.

Space has to be seen as a 3D grid of points connected with lines. Space expands everywhere at the same time because all the lines become longer at the same rate.

Of course, how and why the universe expands is one of the big questions of science today. That, and the nature of Space and Time. After all, Einstein did a bang job of explaining the effects of gravity but it does not really tell us what gravity is or what space is.

Comment

I also disliked early SGU, and have come to love it. I found its pacing a bit wobbly from the start, although once it began to shake down, it was most enjoyable. I also thought the abrasive interactions before character development were initially hard work (as intended) and really got rewarding the further we got in.

What mostly destroyed SG:U for me at the time was scheduling. Whilst I freely admit the changes from previous series would have been a slight culture shock anyway, when you have chopping and changing schedule and the big gaps, well eventually not watching a show becomes a habit.

the universe is not expanding at the same rate though... it always expanded faster than light and dark energy is wining over the dark matter and eventually everything will so far apart that even light won't reach from the nearest galaxy...
        I found the confidence in this pronouncement entertaining, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post

I found the confidence in this pronouncement entertaining, thank you.
          lolz.. yeah... no one knows for sure that will it keep on expanding or collapse back...come to think of it everything science says is just theory nothing is a hundred percent... confidence is the KEY
          Last edited by destiny khan; 02 August 2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

To get back on topic.................

I watched some SGU over the weekend and I still found it rather weak. Fantastic visuals, great idea's and a concept I liked, but it was just missing *something*, and I am not sure what it was.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

lolz.. yeah... no one knows for sure that will it keep on expanding or collapse back...come to think of it everything science says is just theory not is a hundred percent... confidence is the KEY
              But if it collapses back on itself at the same rate everywhere what will it collapse into, if its not expanding from a single point by the same logic would it not collapse back to a single point?

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Fantastic visuals, great idea's and a concept I liked, but it was just missing *something*, and I am not sure what it was.
                A 3rd season?

Comment

To get back on topic.................

I watched some SGU over the weekend and I still found it rather weak. Fantastic visuals, great idea's and a concept I liked, but it was just missing *something*, and I am not sure what it was.
                  i know what that is... it is stronger characters... i like rush and young etc but the other main character like chloe or scott are just plain awful and badly acted... the "dialogue" is not top notch... the "drama" is sub par. The drama was basically bickering between characters which looked mostly illogical. It gets better after we know what the characters are like and there is no back flashes or boring body swaps from people from earth etc. and we can concentrate on the main issue at hand. That is why people like second season better and that includes me. But visuals are so darn good that i am willing to forget every other show ever created just for the sake of destiny's awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                    But if it collapses back on itself at the same rate everywhere what will it collapse into, if its not expanding from a single point by the same logic would it not collapse back to a single point?
                    there are multiple theories and none of them is true for me....unless they know exactly what dark energy or dark matter is, nothing can be said for certain. Who knows if the universe is actually 13.7 billion years old or much older or younger or if there was a big bang in the first place. Everything is an estimation and honestly it gets a little confusing because you do not know what could be true.

Comment

A 3rd season?
                      No, I can't say that in good faith as I pretty much despised SGU as it was presented. I liked the concept, the idea's and the notion of the "journey", but yeah, that's where it ended.

Many peeps did like it's presentation however, and I am not looking to rile up old discussions, merely express how *I* viewed it.
                      sigpic

Comment

i know what that is... it is stronger characters... i like rush and young etc but the other main character like chloe or scott are just plain awful and badly acted... the "dialogue" is not top notch... the "drama" is sub par. The drama was basically bickering between characters which looked mostly illogical. It gets better after we know what the characters are like and there is no back flashes or boring body swaps from people from earth etc. and we can concentrate on the main issue at hand. That is why people like second season better and that includes me. But visuals are so darn good that i am willing to forget every other show ever created just for the sake of destiny's awesomeness.
                        Well, I feel that was part of the problem. ALOT of material that you would accept in S2 due to the drama seemed "pushed" into S1.
                        Character building/ heavy drama work better in S2 when you have had a chance to establish your characters.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I feel that was part of the problem. ALOT of material that you would accept in S2 due to the drama seemed "pushed" into S1.
                          Character building/ heavy drama work better in S2 when you have had a chance to establish your characters.
                          I think it might have gone down a bit better if we had some sort of base knowledge of characters before SGU started, as it was the flashback thing didnt really work to fill us in with the background even thought Jack and Daniel were in on it, perhaps if there had been some sort of fill-in like SGA had where they weren't that far away and there was a fair amount of crossover it might have meant a lot of S1 wasn't wasted on character building, but then on the flipside it wouldnt of worked with them being the other side of the universe, especially as a few people have said the stones were over used...

Comment

I think it might have gone down a bit better if we had some sort of base knowledge of characters before SGU started, as it was the flashback thing didnt really work to fill us in with the background even thought Jack and Daniel were in on it, perhaps if there had been some sort of fill-in like SGA had where they weren't that far away and there was a fair amount of crossover it might have meant a lot of S1 wasn't wasted on character building, but then on the flipside it wouldnt of worked with them being the other side of the universe, especially as a few people have said the stones were over used...
                            You need character building though to create characters you care about however. Take SGA for example. Very few of the characters I would really care about would exist without the actors playing them because SGA very much suffered from "too much action, not enough building" at a lot of times. What was worse was the reset button bashing that happened so often in it as well when it came to character growth. A lot of good episodes of SGA are simply wasted because after the drama there is no consequence to them.

SGU however *had* consequences, but I did not care because the characters failed to capture me. Take Riley's death. To me he was no more than a redshirt, so trying to squeeze gravitas out of his death was simply wasted. If they made it Greer however, I would have "felt" more. Even the effect on Young was wasted on me simply because there was very little depth of connection between the two characters.

As for the stones, yeah, I'll just say I did not like them
                            sigpic

Comment

Mid season breaks are what, IMHO, helped kill all the sci fi shows axed on SyFy (that and bad programming and inability to embrace actual viewer numbers across all methods/modes rather than traditional Nielson methods, chopping and changing viewing days/air dates and favouring non-sci fi related s*** over actual quality sci fi programs/series).

If any, breaks should be no more than 2 weeks (the average from what I've seen in Australia, usually due to sports coverage or other allegedly 'important' programming that takes precedence; not this stupid mid-season U.S-style break(s) of up to 3 months or more - it not is annoying as hell, it gives audiences time to literally forget shows (or misprogramming and/or forgetting correct air dates) as they go about their busy lives; leaving the die hard fans & true believers to hang on edge until we get the 2nd instalment of a season and then wonder what viewership is down and people have tuned out for newer shows and other stuff that comes along (on tv or otherwise).

I also severely dislike people boycotting a t.v. show because their favourite show the series was cancelled (for whatever reason), only to be replaced or offered something equally good/superior in the same genre/franchise and then say they like it after it gets cancelled and bemoan the cancellation in hind sight (just my humble opinion/observation). Unjust and a disappointing for all involved.

I supported SG:U because it was a new STARGATE series and was supporting the actors, the series, and the franchise as a whole, regardless of my initial thoughts of SG:U It was, indeed, very different to SG-1 & SGA, but that didnt stop me form watching it and giving it a chance; and in the end, it grew on me immensely. In time, it will become a cult classic like the rest of the STARGATE franchise, and i am disappointed we will never get to see the end of SG:U (whether that was the full 5 seasons or a movie to tie everything up); as I feel it was cut down well before it's prime and just as it was getting immensely entertaining and finding it feet.

Comment

Yes, agree totally Akren.

I have never understood the mid-season break, why not just have shorter seasons instead of giving people no other choice than to have to watch or do something else...
                                There is also, IMHO given the way technology works these days no reason for SyFy US to air things at different times or leave big gaps before lauch to say SyFy UK etc, SyFy should show the same stuff at the same times worldwide, as should any other channel.
                                This would cut down on piracy on so many shows, why wait the extra week or so if you can download a copy the day after it airs in the US. Dont get me wrong, there will always be piracy but simultaneous launch dates and proper web availability is something the TV industry is behind on, its catching up with all this Netflix etc but it still needs to be done at the same time across all formats.

I don't get the boycotting thing either, to me SGA was the weakest of the group, yes it was good and yes I have watched all of them more than once but it was a bit too much humour for me and not enough actual substance, perhaps it was done that way on purpose, I dont know.

SGU to me was ramping up to be better than SG1, it was more my sort of show, I think they went the wrong way with SGA, bit too close to earth, easy to get viewers from SG1 to watch it because it was familiar and lots of cross overs.

Boycotting SyFy however is something I'm fine with, I'm in the UK though so I dont fit into the viewers they care about..

Comment

Working...
                                X