I hated but now love sgu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    Too late now pal it was people like you who destroyed the show by slating it in the first place.

Of course ultimately the producers were responsible but as an SG fan you should have known to stick with it and see it through. Now we've lost SGU for good. The sets have been destroyed and sold off and we've no hope of finding out the end of the story at all.
    ehh. ok for starters you sound like an idiot because as I stated I pushed my self to watch season 1 and did stick with it, even though at the time I didn't like it not to mention my views would have meant nothing since I live in australia, oh and I bought season 1 and 2 on dvd so umm I think I did do my part to support it
    Last edited by tomaso88; 22 June 2013, 04:12 AM.

Comment

yadaydaydaya..

I'm an idiot because you didn't like it and had to force yourself to watch it before eventually deciding (far too late) that it was actually quite good?

I'm an idiot because of that? Ok mate if you say so!

Have a nice day

Comment

yadaydaydaya..

I'm an idiot because you didn't like it and had to force yourself to watch it before eventually deciding (far too late) that it was actually quite good?

I'm an idiot because of that? Ok mate if you say so!

Have a nice day
        No i called you an idiot for saying people like me got the show cancelled, i never said anything bad bout the show when it came out, i bought the dvd boxsets and the bluray when they cameout an yet you blame people like me for the cancellation..... riiiiiight.........

So tell me again how that is far to late? In fact if you look at my past threads i even contributed to the discussion of episodes.

Comment

Well in that case I sincerely apologise.

But tell me honestly, when it was on TV did you really stick with it? From the sound of your OP it sounded like you didn't.

Again I apologise if I've misunderstood however that was the impression your post gave.

Comment

SGU was the first Stargate I really watched. I've watched Atlantis, all five seaons, I've seen a few episodes of SG1. SGU is still my favorite.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by PA452 View Post

Bottom line, I just felt like the drone thing was getting lame.
              Not a fan of the drones either.
              I kinda wish that when they realized the series was cancelled that they would of made Epilogue the series finale.
              Sure, it would of killed any chance of it coming back but we would of had a proper end.

I was a fan from the start. I hate to put it this way, but after 15 Seasons of watching the best of the best saving the galaxy every other week it was refreshing seeing a crew that didn't get along at all doing something as mundane as trying to figure out a way to continue breathing on the ship.

SG-1 is still my favorite, though.
              Last edited by mooseman; 24 June 2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I still hate it, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                  I still hate it, lol.
                  At least you gave it a go, but I can see why it wasn't liked by people. My initial reaction was wondering what was going on with the jumping back and forth with scenes when giving the background to the characters. Along with the jarring camerawork in darkness it was hard to watch!

Luckily they stopped all that by the middle of the first season. I found myself being drawn in by the end of the first season more with the characters dealing with the cards fate dealt them, and Destiny as a character too, rather than the storyline of the Lucian Alliance invasion and what was going on back on Earth, this is why 'Epilogue' was such a wonderful episode for me, it encapsulated the whole spirit of SGU, the people and their trials and triumphs. My feeling was that if people were not invested in the characters by the beginning of season two it really wasn't worth continuing to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                    I was a fan from the start. I hate to put it this way, but after 15 Seasons of watching the best of the best saving the galaxy every other week it was refreshing seeing a crew that didn't get along at all doing something as mundane as trying to figure out a way to continue breathing on the ship.

SG-1 is still my favorite, though.
                    I agree that it was very refreshing to have a crew that wasn't the best of the best. I actually liked the social interplay and how that affected things. It was actually very well done. They had excellent character development, it was fairly realistic, and I think it really added to the show. I liked that the civilians and even military didn't always agree with command decisions; they voiced their opinion and even defied orders. Particularly under the circumstances of SGU where the only thing they were really fighting for was survival and each other, I think those things are more likely than some think.

To me, SG1 might have the edge, but only because they had more seasons to work with. Factoring out quantity, SGU wins for me. In any given SG1 season, there were at least a few episodes that I found kind of lame or uninteresting. In 40 episodes of SGU, there was only one episode I really didn't care for, and it was the last one.

Comment

Not a fan of the drones either.
                      Yet I found this to be an intriguing plot to be honest. We've had the borg from ST, the replicators in both SG1 and SGA but autonomous space drones that can take down even an ancient vessel purely by the masses.. well that was an interesting plot.

I think most would agree season 1 was weak. Season 2 was far superior and what was in it? - Drones!

Comment

I guess my dislike is from the fact that they had enough problems as it was, did they really need an all powerful enemy to contend with too? It just seems so contrived to me.

Comment

did they really need an all powerful enemy to contend with too?
                          Well wouldn't it be boring if every show was a nice easy scout around a planet gathering supplies. You'd soon get bored with it. The drones brought a challenge to the ship and its crew.

Comment

Who says it has to be a nice easy scout around a planet?
                            Each week could be a different threat, instead of "Oh, no! Drones!" every episode.

Ideally, it would be a mix of the two.
                            Last edited by mooseman; 25 June 2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Yet I found this to be an intriguing plot to be honest. We've had the borg from ST, the replicators in both SG1 and SGA but autonomous space drones that can take down even an ancient vessel purely by the masses.. well that was an interesting plot.

I think most would agree season 1 was weak. Season 2 was far superior and what was in it? - Drones!
                              I wouldn't agree even slightly that season 1 was weak. It had a lot less explosions and action that satisfies the ADHD crowd, but the plot and stories were excellent. They really took their time developing stories, and it paid off for those of us who could appreciate that.

"Darkness" and "Light" were excellent with a lot of incredible scenes and lots of great character development. The series of episodes where Scott, Greer, Chloe and Eli were stranded were great.

I remember watching the episode "Justice" when it aired. That was the 10th episode of the show and the first time we saw an alien ship in the show. When was the last time finding a crashed alien ship was cool in SG1 or SGA? SGU successfully managed to bring back some of the mystique of space exploration. I think it was something that SG1 lost along the way, and I'm not entirely sure SGA ever really had it.

Comment

Well wouldn't it be boring if every show was a nice easy scout around a planet gathering supplies. You'd soon get bored with it. The drones brought a challenge to the ship and its crew.
                                There were plenty of challenges for them to overcome without a boring, relentless enemy like a fleet of automated drones. Had they kept it reasonable I think it would have been fine. But the concept became boring fast and it was kind of lame at the very end. I liked the episode "Blockade" only because of the town they went to on the planet. I didn't like the concept that the drones would have the resources to put so much effort into hunting Destiny. It didn't make any sense at all, which I think was a major departure from the style of the rest of the series.

Comment

Working...
                                X