No announcement yet.

I hated but now love sgu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the drones added a feeling of dread that was always there in the background, and they still had the prospect of those blue aliens turning up unexpectedly at any time. We just never really knew what made them tick. This all puts more pressure on everyone and Destiny on top of everything else. It offered a great way of showing how the characters dealt with added problems and how inventive they could be under such pressure whilst faced with a very real prospect of death.

The "very curious race" certainly got caught out here and the building sense of desperation as they were faced with these things at every turn was well done for me!

I think they should have blasted the drones with Brody's music collection, that would have made them stop and blow up in total confusion!!

Comment

A lot of varying opinions in the thread.

On the Drones being at every star:

I didn't find it contrived or unbelievable that they would be at every potential star as the crew themselves did say that the star they use are only a specific variety.

Also the fact that they were only at the stars within the line of "path" Destiny was taking through the Novas Galaxy they weren't at EVERY specific star just the ones Destiny could use along the way

If the Destiny traveled outside the path to find that kind of star it could of taken years and then they run into food supply issues and other problems.

So it is conceivable that they could block every specifc star in that line.

The Drones themselves:

I found them to be an interesting enemy.
      No thoughts or feelings or desires, just destroy everything foreign and technological.

I think Season 3 would of provided the answer on who created them and why.
      Setting up maybe a potential short term ally or enemy [Just because they made the drones doesn't mean they are "evil" they might of created them to win a war but after the war was over they couldn't or didn't turn them off or retrieve them.]

The drones seemed ominous when first met is what I liked about them.

On the ending of SGU
      I liked the final episode a lot, it seemed like a quasi series ending [Obviously didn't suffice enough for it to be the real series ending] but we did get some nice character development and a decent enough ending where they were all going into stasis for the foreseeable future.

The character development of the crew

I thought it was great, the crew started off as two groups Soldiers and Civilians
      The Soldiers were in control and the Civilians felt opressed and controlled.

Both groups had their negatives and both had no way of controlling Destiny

When they finally discovered the bridge and started to understand it the series became great as the "Message from God" plot line came around and the crew really started to shine and become experts in the ship

Rush - Theory on Destiny systems and getting the most out of the systems
      Young - Battle Strategist and commander for the ship
      Eli - Coming up with brilliant innovative ideas to help turn the tide in a battle
      Chloe +Alien Knowledge - FTL drive pilot

The rest of the main crew - Support and Weapons techs.

The crew really evolved from a crappy group of angry people into this very well functioning unit of explorers.

Comment

Looking at the graph shown with the "Drone ship at every star", it seems there are about 20-30 ships ahead. That's not much. Sure i think they were 2/3rds of the way there i think, so in total there might be hundreds or more. But this is an entire galaxy controlled by the Drones. Who knows how many thousands of drones there are?

I didn't find it contrived or unbelievable that they would be at every potential star as the crew themselves did say that the star they use are only a specific variety.
        red dwarfs ARE the most common variety. However, Destiny was short on power. The drones could easily make a "perimeter" around destiny and prevent it from recharging.

Comment

Originally posted by SilenceOz View Post
          I think Season 3 would of provided the answer on who created them and why.
          Setting up maybe a potential short term ally or enemy [Just because they made the drones doesn't mean they are "evil" they might of created them to win a war but after the war was over they couldn't or didn't turn them off or retrieve them.]
          That's a good point.
          It's possible the drones aren't bad. They could see Destiny as the aggressor and this whole thing be a big misunderstanding. The drones appeared to attack Destiny in an unprovoked way, but we also know the Ursini(who were at war with the drones) had control of an Ancient seed ship. It could well be that this lead the drones to believe Destiny was allied with their enemy.

Comment

I found the idea that skipping the galaxy might have them missing something important intriguing. How much do they really know about Destiny's fact gathering for it's mission? What if they find some info gap that they then must compensate for? This was a point that Rush made, what are we risking as opposed to the Drone risk? but they couldn't find any solution given the time, etc. so a tough decision.

I didn't like the idea some have said about Epilogue being a good ending. I loved the idea of the future interactions with our crew and the population of other worlds, ships, with their descendents. Some of them may not be so nice, it could be trouble. Their could be endless stories there.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
              That's a good point.
              It's possible the drones aren't bad. They could see Destiny as the aggressor and this whole thing be a big misunderstanding. The drones appeared to attack Destiny in an unprovoked way, but we also know the Ursini(who were at war with the drones) had control of an Ancient seed ship. It could well be that this lead the drones to believe Destiny was allied with their enemy.
              I am pretty sure they said the Drones are just leftovers from a war and they're programmed to destroy organic life.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                I am pretty sure they said the Drones are just leftovers from a war and they're programmed to destroy organic life.
                Can't help thinking there is more to the drones behaviour than this. If they are just programmed to destroy organic life there are plenty of other 'softer' targets rather than chasing Destiny across the galaxy.

besides which, who said this? And how did they know this information? Or was it just assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                  I thought the drones added a feeling of dread that was always there in the background...
                  Yeah, the show had been just waaay too light hearted...

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                  I didn't like the idea some have said about Epilogue being a good ending. I loved the idea of the future interactions with our crew and the population of other worlds, ships, with their descendents. Some of them may not be so nice, it could be trouble. Their could be endless stories there.
                  I only formed that opinion as someone looking back and knowing that there won't be endless stories being told. Of course I want to see more of the story of Destiny and her crew but I don't see it ever coming back. I prefer the closure Epilogue provides over the thought of them being stuck in stasis forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                    I only formed that opinion as someone looking back and knowing that there won't be endless stories being told. Of course I want to see more of the story of Destiny and her crew but I don't see it ever coming back. I prefer the closure Epilogue provides over the thought of them being stuck in stasis forever.
                    I see that as about the same thing, if we end with Epilogue, we wonder what has happened to the other crew. The younger (or is it older?) crew have no conclusion, as we know what the descendants did. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      It was a speculative theory actually. It wasn't a proven fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                        Can't help thinking there is more to the drones behaviour than this. If they are just programmed to destroy organic life there are plenty of other 'softer' targets rather than chasing Destiny across the galaxy.

besides which, who said this? And how did they know this information? Or was it just assumption?
                        They're not designed to destroy life, just technology that isn't their own. Assuming they've had plenty of time to destroy all foreign tech then destiny may well be the only tech left for them to target. There may be other races and tech that can keep the drones at bay that the drones simply no longer attack.

Comment

Originally posted by jeri View Post
                          I see that as about the same thing, if we end with Epilogue, we wonder what has happened to the other crew. The younger (or is it older?) crew have no conclusion, as we know what the descendants did. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
                          Fair enough.
                          But I would prefer to have the Epilogue ending as the "primary" with the other crew as the "backup" storyline.
                          Ultimately, it really doesn't matter. I just miss the show.

(still don't like the drones, though)
                          Last edited by mooseman; 30 June 2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

I always thought that maybe the Drones were created by the Novans (that's what they were called, right?) after they left Novus (maybe to scout planets, or find other civilisations), and then when they didn't need the Drones anymore, they abadoned them. Maybe left them inactive, and something happened many years later, that caused the Drones to be activated again.

Comment

Blockade would seem to contradict uch a theory
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Indeedy. If the novans don't have FTL engines how can they build drone command ships that can blockade multiple stars?

Comment

Working...
                                X