I hated but now love sgu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
    haha, I don't think there is an 'edge of the Galaxy'.
    Think you're confusing galaxies with universe, there are lots of Galaxies (MW, Pegasus, Ida and so on) they all fit into the Universe (think everything in space is in one universe althought science is now suggesting there might be mor than one Universe)

But that does bring up an interesting point. Just how much faster is Destiny than the speed of light? It matters because the universe is expanding exponentially and at some point it'll start expanding faster than the speed of light (think it might already be expanding faster than that). So if the expansion gets to be faster than Destiny's FTL, then it theoretically cannot reach some galaxies because the expansion rate of the galaxy will likely outpace Destiny's FTL speed.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that the speed of expansion is increasing and will pass the speed of light?
    I would of thought that it would slow eventually to the point where it slows to a stop and then starts to then fall back on itself again...

Comment

No I meant like you don't really have 'edges' for a galaxy and would depend on how you define it. For example, the Milky Way, are you defining edge to be where solar systems end and empty space begins? In that case, in which direction? The outer ends of the spiral arms or up and down because the Milky Way is relatively flat? And the shape of our galaxy isn't the same for all galaxies, there's different kinds. I'm saying you'd have to define what you mean by edge, and that it'd be relative to the galaxy you are talking about.

Yeah, I should clarify, talking about the expansion of space and that expansion rate is accelerating. Keywords you can look up obviously expansion of the universe, Einstein's cosmological constant, etc. But most of the arguments involve somewhat dense material such as SR, GR, and metrics so it'd kinda hard to grasp.

So basically, it seems like two objects have a distance between them that suggests they traveled beyond the speed of light, which is true for objects about 5 gigaparsecs away from us, just looked that up. So things haven't contracted, space is just expanding it seems. There has been no contraction despite objects that seem to have exceeded the speed of light relative to us. Our observable universe, constrained by speed of light, is a lot smaller than the entirety of our universe.

Comment

From what I can gather, the expantion is actually still accelerating is it not?

For the Destiny to come anywhere *close* to the "outside of the universe" it must engage not a "classic" FTL drive, but a "slipstream" kind of drive that allows it to keep a speed in excess of the growth of the universe. It may just be a percentage thing (ie, Drive = Speed of universe +10%) which could account for the wear on the ship beyond just "being out there".

I must admit, this is one of the things of SGU I did really enjoy.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I thought Destiny was heading for the center of the universe anyway to find out what the message was in the CBR...

Comment

Not this again. There is definitely no centre, and probably no edge. The big bang happened everywhere and the universe is expanding everywhere, not from a point in space.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              Not this again. There is definitely no centre, and probably no edge. The big bang happened everywhere and the universe is expanding everywhere, not from a point in space.
              Then the entire mission is pointless, it has no reference for "points" to collect information on the CBR, or the "fingerprint of "god" "
              Destiny was just one of the first major experimental failures in the laundry list of ancient failures.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Then the entire mission is pointless, it has no reference for "points" to collect information on the CBR, or the "fingerprint of "god" "
                Destiny was just one of the first major experimental failures in the laundry list of ancient failures.
                Huh? Why? The CMBR didn't even exist at the moment of the Big Bang, it formed about 380,000 years afterwards. It was all over the place, that's why Destiny has been travelling all over the place. There's never been any implication in the show that the ship was ever travelling to a final Destination, in fact Rush flat out asserts the complete opposite.

Comment

Yes this again, apparently..
                  Something that is expanding, must have a point from which it is expanding surely?
                  Links or logical explanations are required...

Comment

Space expands everywhere at the same rate. I'm not sure which part you're struggling with. This is very basic stuff.

Comment

Still no links, surely a copy/paste is very basic?

If I'm stood here, and you are stood there, where I am is expanding in your direction and where you are stood is expanding in my direction.
                      What I am asking for is an explanation of how something can expand in every direction simultaneously.
                      If you can't break it down to a simple sentence then you clearly dont understand it either, just saying that something is basic but being unable to explain it helps nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                        Still no links, surely a copy/paste is very basic?
                        So is Google. You could have found the information that you're looking for long before I had a chance to respond, twice.

If I'm stood here, and you are stood there, where I am is expanding in your direction and where you are stood is expanding in my direction.
                        What I am asking for is an explanation of how something can expand in every direction simultaneously.
                        If you can't break it down to a simple sentence then you clearly dont understand it either, just saying that something is basic but being unable to explain it helps nobody.
                        It's difficult to break it down into a single sentence because I don't quite understand which bit you're struggling with. I can't understand why you'd think expansion has to be from a central point or what barrier to that you imagine there might be. Your analogy doesn't help, because we're talking about one thing expanding, not two.

Comment

The standard analogy is an inflating balloon, with the 2D surface of the balloon representing the 3D space in the universe. When you inflate the balloon, the surface expands all over at the same rate, not from a single point. Any points you may draw on the balloon, to represent a galaxy for example, would move away from one another.

I don't know if that helps...

Comment

I don't know how people can hate it. I watched the first two series and this in 3 weeks non stop. So i never got a breather and i never hated anything. I have rewatched the whole 17 seasons 10 times maybe and never hated a series. Universe was so memerising with the dark atmosphere and dreamy music and especially the theme. Stranded on the far side of the universe is a speacial treat to me, the simple scope of the thing is incredible. I am a space opera junkie so i admire universe a lot more than the other as it is made entirely in space. The trip around the gas giant.. the dip in the sun... those things were just out of this world when it comes to quality. I think cancelling stargate universe was the greatest blunder in the history of sci fi.

Comment

The standard analogy is an inflating balloon, with the 2D surface of the balloon representing the 3D space in the universe. When you inflate the balloon, the surface expands all over at the same rate, not from a single point. Any points you may draw on the balloon, to represent a galaxy for example, would move away from one another.

I don't know if that helps...
                              the universe is not expanding at the same rate though... it always expanded faster than light and dark energy is wining over the dark matter and eventually everything will so far apart that even light won't reach from the nearest galaxy...

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
                                the universe is not expanding at the same rate though... it always expanded faster than light and dark energy is wining over the dark matter and eventually everything will so far apart that even light won't reach from the nearest galaxy...
                                You're right that the expansion is speeding up, but it's speeding up at the same rate everywhere. That is to say there isn't a part of the universe that is expanding faster than another part.

Comment

Working...
                                X