No announcement yet.

We were not the first people to board Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's very hard to tell what was on board, and what was brought as expedition supplies. But still if the boxes aren't empty, why aren't they using any of THAT stuff? Versus running out of ammo, gerry rigging flame throwers, and starving most of the time? Rope to rope ship travel? Story wise, from what we've seen on the screen. If you aren't flying a shuttle, then you're walking. If you didn't bring your own food, then you're starving. Does destiny even have towels for the showers? Or just beds, but no curtains? It seems to be missing more than it has. Which to me means that it's realtively empty for what it should be IMO. Or it was previously boarded and looted.

Atlantis has puddle jumpers. The outpost has rings and drones. If the gate travelers were supposed to walk everywhere, why wasn't there a stash of shoes and socks or something to HELP for that task? Or was Destiny originally meant to be a prison ship and was repurposed?

Comment

Presumably the Ancients planned to bring expedition supplies with them, rather than be faced with the prospect of using gear that was thousands of years out of date when they got there.
      Last edited by KEK; 02 February 2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        Presumably when the Ancients planned to bring expedition supplies with them, rather than be faced with the prospect of using gear that was thousands of years out of date when they got there.
        That's what I think. Although I do find it funny that the beds were all made. Maybe there was a great sale at the InterGalactic Bed Bath & Way Way Beyond on sheets that last thousands of years, and they couldn't resist.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
          That's what I think. Although I do find it funny that the beds were all made. Maybe there was a great sale at the InterGalactic Bed Bath & Way Way Beyond on sheets that last thousands of years, and they couldn't resist.
          Gah you made me spit tea all over!

Comment

i think that they were going to start finding things about the ship as we have seen concept art for anchient equipment (weapons and such) but alas the show ran out of time. it seems that one of the plans for season 3 if they had gotten the go ahead was to have the crew gain access to more of the ship and have them finding equipment. up to now they only have had access to about 1/4 of the ship if that.

Comment

But that's part of my peeve. 1.5 seasons to find a pair of ancient shoes? aka 33 episodes. Or more since we haven't yet. Given that there's basically nothing to do on the ship (tv, ps3, ???). You would have thought that exploring the ship would have been more common place. Just look at how easily the LA got around the ship looking for them. Sure, there's repairs and things, but reading the same book for ten months has to be getting on someones nerves on the ship. Or iPod the same year old songs... over and over and over and .... For the few that can read ancient, they can check out the database and the new info the seed ship downloaded into Destiny. But that's a minority of the occupants. Sure gardening(hydroponics) floats a few boats, but probably not everyones.

I know that they probably expected to bring supplies. But you'd think that they'd left themselves a note, besides this is our phone number. Like bring plenty of toilet paper. And a few spare batteries (size D for Destiny), million year old batteries suck.

Comment

the problem is, if object A can survive for millions of years, it's no guarantee that object B can too.

it's possible the Destiny had a room dedicated to toilet paper but it degraded into dust.

it's possible that there were racks with shoes but the shoes are degraded.

point is, what survived all that time is what we see. they obviously got the couches from somewhere. they got the reading lights from somewhere...

like i said, if Destiny had been made by earth, it wouldn't even EXIST anymore. it would just be a heap of dust crossing some intergalactic void on sublight speeds.

many people on this thread have no clue how long a million years is. in less than hundred years we went from a house-sized computer to a hand-sized one, and the handsized one is 100x more powerful. storage capacity is doubling every two years.

but in 100 years metal has degraded -on earth-. in space, it would take a little longer but even there, eventually radiation destroys the metal. shields aren't perfect barriers, so even a ship like destiny is influenced by radiation.

in 1000 years modern technology will have long failed. in 10 000 years not even buildings will survive. in 100 000 years, you won't even find traces that a building was there. in a million years, you wouldn't find anything.

a spaceship will have it's reactors dead in a few years. technology failure in 100 years. in 1000 years major structural degradation. in 10 000 years it'll be broken up in chunks. after 100 000 years it'll be a rust cloud. in a million, you won't even find a rust cloud.

destiny is supposed to be older than that. how hard is it to imagine that things have just degraded into dust?
                Last edited by thekillman; 02 February 2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Like i said
                  Spoiler:
                  there is a LOT of stuff already on the ship, the expedition just hasnt used it yet!

and to reiterate - NO ONE ELSE HAS EVEN BEEN ABOARD!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    Like i said
                    Spoiler:
                    there is a LOT of stuff already on the ship, the expedition just hasnt used it yet!

and to reiterate - NO ONE ELSE HAS EVEN BEEN ABOARD!
                    saying it in a bigger font isn't going to make it true

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                      saying it in a bigger font isn't going to make it true
                      we were told by the writers that no one has been aboard living or ascended.

Comment

we were told by the writers that no one has been aboard living or ascended.
                        Repeating that isn't going to make everyone believe it without a source.

Comment

Kymm writes: “I must be missing something, so I am going to ask a stupid question (be kind) – since the alien ship can track Destiny through hyper space (they were attached to the ship in Air and have located them again in Space). We have found out that the aliens want the ship. Why did they not just take it before the Earth people boarded it?”

Answer: We don’t know for sure, but it would seem they haven’t been able to board Destiny (although the pod that flew away at the end of Air III would seem to indicate they’ve been keeping tabs on the ship for some time now). As I mentioned in yesterday’s mailbag, prior to our coming aboard, all of the ship’s energy was used for its automated defenses – and, specifically, ensuring the ship’s shield remains strong and impenetrable. Since we came aboard, however, the ship’s power has been diverted to other areas like life support and weapons, diverting power away from the shields, weakening them, and making them more vulnerable in certain areas (which is what we saw happen in Space).
                          source: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...uction-update/

Comment

ok yeah he was saying at that time without knowing for sure that is seemed like the blues have not been aboard. he left room for "they might have been" also he makes no metion towards there not being anyone aboard beforhand.

Comment

Originally posted by hercthx View Post
                              ok yeah he was saying at that time without knowing for sure that is seemed like the blues have not been aboard. he left room for "they might have been" also he makes no metion towards there not being anyone aboard beforhand.
                              he never said "they might have been" or any variations of that.

until we recieve official word that there have been others aboard, then theyre have not been. period.

Comment

he never said "they might have been" or any variations of that.

until we recieve official word that there have been others aboard, then theyre have not been. period.
                                you can wait for whatever you like thats cool, I'm really not here to tell you how you should percieve the show. Thank you BTW always good to have a really fun debate!!! I just happen to think otherwise. ok so I have bashed my opinion to death what is your take on the (what I percieved as) battle damage? with th elack of previous occupants what do you think could have cause such damage?

Comment

Working...
                                X