Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon or Non Canon, after seeing the episodes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is too funny. Thanks I needed a laugh after my last final

Canon is whatever MGM and Bridge Studios says it is. They write on what is and is not accpeated canon. Your arguing continuity which like plot holes can be argued so many ways and it totally opinionated with no real answer in sight. Well unless have a real obvious contunity error like square Stargates
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Not really an issue, since that hasn't happened yet.
      Hasn't it? Read this excerpt.

BW: Exactly. When the show goes for 10 years and 5 years, respectively, you create a mythology and a world within which the stories take place that has to acknowledge each other. And we are so far away now from the Milky Way and/or Pegasus [Galaxies]. It's such a completely new start.

It allows us to imagine stories take place where we don't have to worry about "Where are the Wraith?" "Where are the Goa'uld?" "Where are the Asgard?" Where are this? Where are that? That mythology can, while we are still talking about Earth -- now -- the events that are happening to us are so removed from events in the Milky Way or Pegasus for that matter that it's a different canvas.

GW: David and I are continuity geeks, and I would imagine that after 12 years, the mythology of the show might be something of a handicap as a writer.

You are carving out a lot of boundaries every time you put a new episode to screen. Now we have established this, so we have to work around that every time we want to tell a new story.

RC: That's why being past the galaxies we're used to dealing with sort of frees us up from that.
      Isn't that at least a backhanded admission?

And as far away from Earth as they get...they still have the same Ancients to deal with. They CAN'T get away from that...unless they Retcon it.
      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Calluna View Post
        Ain't that the truth.

Nope, canon and continuity are not the same thing at all, canon is what we see on screen until told otherwise by TPTB and continuity is how much of that actually makes sense. For my sins I watch "Grey's Anatomy", a lot of that show is stupid, makes no sense, characters are often completely OOC and aparently all of S4 took place inside one day, but what is said on screen is canon until the next retcon.

A SGA example I was thinking about recently: In SGA's early eps it was shown to take most of a P90 clip to take down a Wraith eg (The Defiant One) but later in "Sateda" and others it seems like only a few bullets and a Wraith is down for the count. A big discrepancy yet both kills are still canon because we saw it happen and no one has said Shep was dreaming about killing them with a couple of rounds.

Exactly my point...have TPTB ever came out and said "This is a Retcon"? That at least would make sense, but when they keep pretending all of this goes together...

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
          No, it's simply an admission that they don't have to consider a lot of previous material when writing for SGU due to being in a completely different galaxy.

Comment

Hasn't it? Read this excerpt.

And as far away from Earth as they get...they still have the same Ancients to deal with. They CAN'T get away from that...unless they Retcon it.
            How is any of that related to the topic at hand? They're talking about a different kind of storytelling, not an unrelated story
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              This thread is too funny. Thanks I needed a laugh after my last final

Canon is whatever MGM and Bridge Studios says it is. They write on what is and is not accpeated canon. Your arguing continuity which like plot holes can be argued so many ways and it totally opinionated with no real answer in sight. Well unless have a real obvious contunity error like square Stargates
              Would you argue its canon if they did have an episode with square stargates and tried to pass them off as the round ones?

Comment

Would you argue its canon if they did have an episode with square stargates and tried to pass them off as the round ones?
                I would argue its an epic continuity error.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Define canon.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

How is any of that related to the topic at hand? They're talking about a different kind of storytelling, not an unrelated story
                    No they're not. They're talking about not being constrained by the events that happened in SG-1 and SGA, i.e. the CANON of those series.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      I would argue its an epic continuity error.
                      True...and I would argue one large enough to break with Canon.

Comment

No they're not. They're talking about not being constrained by the events that happened in SG-1 and SGA, i.e. the CANON of those series.
                        That makes no sense at all. What are you saying? Define Canon
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes, in terms of storytelling. If they place the story in a distant part of the universe where Goa'uld, Lucian Alliance, Ori, Wraith, and Genii don't factor into the equation at all, that frees them from having to rely on old stories. It's a "completely different canvas" which "frees them" from having to rely on old stories and storytelling.

Nowhere in any of that does it land at the (absurd) conclusion that somehow, SGU is not canon
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            Define canon.
                            Basic facts, construction, etc established by TPTB previously.

Comment

Yes, in terms of storytelling. If they place the story in a distant part of the universe where Goa'uld, Lucian Alliance, Ori, Wraith, and Genii don't factor into the equation at all, that frees them from having to rely on old stories. It's a "completely different canvas" which "frees them" from having to rely on old stories and storytelling.

Nowhere in any of that does it land at the (absurd) conclusion that somehow, SGU is not canon
                              The tie they cannot unbind is the ANCIENTS.

Comment

The tie they cannot unbind is the ANCIENTS.
                                WHICH MEANS WHAT? The Ancients left the Ori galaxy, they came here and built the seeders and Destiny. They replaced the original gates with orange MW gates, moved on to the second seeded galaxy (Pegasus) after the plague and replaced gates there with the blue ones, and then lost the Wraith War and returned to this galaxy, abandoning the Destiny project forever. There is no issue here.

By your logic, SG-1 is not canon because it doesn't exactly follow the dictates of the original movie. And SGA is not canon compared to either, because it doesn't rely on glowing aliens or snakes in the head. It's ridiculous, plain and simple. You aren't even beating a dead horse with this ludicrous argument, you're just making stuff up.

Comment

Working...
                                X