Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon or Non Canon, after seeing the episodes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, aer'ki , big revelation for you.

earth is getting fanwank and OTT. if the arctic superweapon, dakara, ARG technology, asgard hyperdrives, shields, sensors, and beaming technology didn't tell you, what about all the alien artefacts, asgard computer core, ship outfitted with a TDF, matterconverter, a ZPM, the most advanced hyperdrive, shields etc we know of, the database of two of the four great races, the databases of tons of alien races in Pegasus, Atlantis, and, well, did i miss some? arcturus and it's incarnations.

if that didn't tell you earth is getting fanwank, then you've not been paying attention.

earth's no longer the underdog. it's the uberdog. and if i interpretate the statistics of Stargate correctly, the next major enemy is even MORE technologically advanced and even MORE stupid than the ori.

stargate laws of aliens:

advancement is inversely proportional to intellect and ability of war. even though all of humanity's history is spent fighting, and preparing for fighting.

the more human-like, the more common.

the more human-like, the more human like. Huh? well, if it looks human-ish, it thinks and acts pretty much like we do.

the arrogant fall

numbers are better than god-tech.

the older your race, the more monotonous and the less advancement.

in 100 years, earth has advanced enough to know how basic asgard tech works, even though it's hundreds and hundres of thousands of years more advanced

Comment

There are moments that it is, but I've noticed quite a few times where they've thrown established 'Stargate Laws' completely out the window. For example; the connecting of the ship's Stargate to the Stargate on the planet they're orbiting.

According to laws established way back in SG1 on how the Stargate works, connecting one gate to another in the same system should be impossible. This would be non canon until it's explained in the show why these gates function differently than the ones we know already.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the question hasn't even been brought up in the show yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Luther View Post
        For example; the connecting of the ship's Stargate to the Stargate on the planet they're orbiting.

According to laws established way back in SG1 on how the Stargate works, connecting one gate to another in the same system should be impossible. This would be non canon until it's explained in the show why these gates function differently than the ones we know already.

I'm actually a little disappointed that the question hasn't even been brought up in the show yet.
        I don't really think that's an issue either. The ship drops out of FTL periodically when it's in range of a few gates, I don't believe it's been said thus far that these gates are in the same star system as the ship. Further, it's always been more than one address when they drop out so even if they are in the same system as a particular gate, it's entirely possible they're dialing one in a different system.

The functioning of the symbols is also unclear at this point. The Destiny gates predate MW and Pegasus gates, so there's actually no reason to expect that they operate on the same principles. On the orange and blue gates, the glyphs were clearly star constellations. On the SGU gates they're just lines and circles. Perhaps some kind of 1-39 numbering system, since obviously constellation-related dialing won't work.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

There are moments that it is, but I've noticed quite a few times where they've thrown established 'Stargate Laws' completely out the window. For example; the connecting of the ship's Stargate to the Stargate on the planet they're orbiting.

They haven't been dialling gates on planets they've been orbiting, in fact they haven't been orbiting any planets at all, they've just been dialling planets that are in range of the Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I don't really think that's an issue either. The ship drops out of FTL periodically when it's in range of a few gates, I don't believe it's been said thus far that these gates are in the same star system as the ship. Further, it's always been more than one address when they drop out so even if they are in the same system as a particular gate, it's entirely possible they're dialing one in a different system.

The functioning of the symbols is also unclear at this point. The Destiny gates predate MW and Pegasus gates, so there's actually no reason to expect that they operate on the same principles. On the orange and blue gates, the glyphs were clearly star constellations. On the SGU gates they're just lines and circles. Perhaps some kind of 1-39 numbering system, since obviously constellation-related dialing won't work.
            You might be right about the different dialing system. Still, we're halfway through the first season and none of the characters have even brought the subject up in chatter.

"Hey, isn't it weird that we can dial a Stargate in the same system? I thought one was supposed to override the other."

Then Rush offers a theory to explain why SGU's gates work differently (and maybe even a little insight on HOW they work).

When a rule that's been established for a long time like this suddenly changes, it'd be a good idea to have a character at least mention the change. Acknowledge the questions the viewer is probably asking. That way they at least know their on the right track. The question could be answered only later on, but in the meantime the viewer knows that it's not something that was changed just for the sake of changing it. That way SGU can flow better from the previous series and fans can adjust better.

Don't get me wrong though. I don't dislike SGU at all. I think SGU is a much needed fresh look at the franchise. I just think that if they're going to sell this as a spin-off of the others then they either need to stick to the mythology that have previously been established or explain why the old mythos doesn't apply anymore. Otherwise sell it as an alternate reality and make up what ever new mythology on the fly.

Comment

Again, they drop out of FTL near dial-able gates. It's not been said so far that they're dialing any in the same system.

Besides that, it only takes a little bit of deductive reasoning anyway. They're not the same gates as we've seen before, they're prototypes. So expecting to work exactly the same is no failure at all, it's viewers expecting a thing to be so without reason. When you expect something to be a certain way in spite of evidence to the contrary, and it's not that way--and then don't see what's staring you in the face....well, I just don't know what to say to that anymore.

You know what I mean?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

"Hey, isn't it weird that we can dial a Stargate in the same system? I thought one was supposed to override the other."
                They have yet to be in a planetary system while dialing any gates so far.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Besides, I understood the 9th Chevron as being a sort of ID-symbol, allowing them to dial that specific gate (such as the one on the Destiny) as opposed to the one gate nearest to the set of coordiantes (which is how I understand the Milky Way/Pegasus gates to work).

And even if that's not how they work, that's how I demand they work and therefore will eliminate any other information that says otherwise. Afterall, my canon is the only one that matters.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

How does the gate know what a "system" is? Not all of them have Oort clouds like we do. It can vary widely...

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                    I'll have to remember in future that not liking something removes it from canon.

I will erase the episode which shall not be named from canon forever now.
                    Relax, there's a trope for it.

The primary issue is that canons for completed works (especially with a single author) are descriptive, whereas fans attempt to define canon for ongoing works as prescriptive. If a fact is "canon", you are "not allowed" to contradict it. Of course, the concept of canon is almost entirely a fan-invention. The writers will ignore or include whatever facts they damned well like (which is not to say that the writers totally lack a sense of continuity, but it is a much weaker concept than "canon" as presented by fan communities). Sometimes these things are applied in Broad Strokes, mixing and matching things that they need to tell the story. Thus, in fan communities, "canon" often boils down to "The bits I like". Fans will attempt to find any excuse to "de-canonize" facts that they personally find inconvenient.

[SNIP]

Canon should not be confused with Fanon, but everyone does it all the time. See Dis Continuity for when people decide en masse to disregard actual canon, and Canon Dis Continuity when the writers do it. Alternatively, see the Continuity Tropes index for all related concepts.
                    Basically what he is doing is perfectly normal behavior. In fact I declare Destiny as only hundreds of thousands of years old, DisContinuity. Not that I ever thought Rush was giving hard numbers in the first place.
                    Last edited by SSJPabs; 17 December 2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

When did that happen?

Comment

the connecting of the ship's Stargate to the Stargate on the planet they're orbiting.
                        Pics or it didn't happen.
                        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
                          Pics or it didn't happen.
                          Pics or gtfo?

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          When did that happen?
                          How could you miss it?!!11one
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Only the producers and writers of the next Stargate series will be in position to decide if Universe is canon or not.
                            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Either that, or the current ones...

Comment

I'm amazed this is still being discussed....

Comment

Working...
                                X