Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One GOOD reason not to give Universe a chance at the very least...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's populated by children? (Hey at 22 I'm allowed to say that, I am one).

But in all honesty I can't give you a good reason because my opinions differ from yours. I'm considering watching, if only to maintain the open mindedness that I've tried to have all my life. But a show full of people my age described as "beautiful", "party girl" (something that I avoided at all costs at school) and "every teenage girl's fantasy" concerns me greatly.

But hey, if they put Lorne in the place of Col. Young, maybe I'll be more open to it.

Or maybe not.
    No boom today. Boom tomorrow, there is always a boom tomorrow.

Comment

The sad thing is the main reason that people are moaning about universe is that it is not exactly the same as atlantis. Its a different show with a different target audience in mind. Alot of people just want an atlantis clone which is strange. Maybe Universe is not aimed at you, if so - too bad, just move on.
      Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

My reasons:

1. I don’t like the premise of the show. Being stuck on a spaceship does not appeal to me at all. Also, a quote from Brad Wright in which he said that SGU will be less rooted in sci fi mythology has me shaking my head in disappointment. The one thing I truly loved about SG1 was the mythology and the myth of Atlantis is what initially got me to give that show a chance.

2. I find the cast descriptions to be appalling. They sound like clichéd younger versions of the SG1 and SGA cast. It sounds like they will just be writing younger versions of McKay, Ronon, Keller, Vala and Sheppard. Couldn’t they come up with anything different? Or are they just more comfortable writing the same characters?

3. From descriptions given by TPTB this sounds like it will be more soap opera than sci fi. I have absolutely no interest in that.

4. I don't like the message that TPTB have sent concerning Stargate fans and this new show. From the interviews I have read I feel from their tone that older viewers are no longer desired; and phrases such as, “reinvent the franchise,” “skew it younger,” “breaking new ground in relationships” “a cast that gives it a younger vibe,” and “young and desperate” leave me less than confident or feeling good about this new direction the franchise is taking. And the most insulting of all by Dave Howe, that fans are angry now but once we get our “Stargate fix” we will be fine. I found that to be very condescending.

5. Yes, I do think SGA was pushed aside for SGU and that does make me angry. But what makes me even angrier is that the replacement show is so devoid of anything that interests me or seemingly even the foundation of what made SG great.

6. I do not believe it is my job to support the franchise. If the “franchise” wants me to watch they will have to present a show that is interesting, dynamic and fresh and most importantly that it appeals to me as a viewer. If that happens then I will give SGU a chance, but right now, from all that I have heard about SGU, it is far off the mark.
        Last edited by EdenSG; 28 September 2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think there's a good reason not to give it a chance....just as I think there's no good reasons to give it a chance. It's a television show, the purpose of which is to entertain, if someone doesn't like the concept they're probably not going to tune in and if they do they will.

Treat it like every other new show, let it stand or fall on it's own merits, whether it has the Stargate tag or not.

I stopped enjoying Atlantis a while ago so when I first heard about Universe I was cautiously excited, but everything I've heard since the first announcement makes me think I'd get more excitement from watching paint dry, it sounds awful. Now they may very well make it sound interesting, and if they do, I'll be tuning in, if they don't, I won't. I'll check out what else is on instead. And I don't think you can actually say fairer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
            Nah, it's even worse than that: "Every teenage girl's fantasy" (emphasis is mine). When I was a teenage girl, my fantasy was a man 15 or 20 years older than me (David Vincent from "The Invaders", not sure how old the actor really was but clearly adult), and people my age seemed just bland and boring and childish and ugly.
            When I was a teenage girl my fantasy was Christopher Lee's Dracula. Maybe that's why I ended up as a Wraith fan.

Originally posted by stewsith
            The sad thing is the main reason that people are moaning about universe is that it is not exactly the same as atlantis. Its a different show with a different target audience in mind. Alot of people just want an atlantis clone which is strange. Maybe Universe is not aimed at you, if so - too bad, just move on.
            I don't want an Atlantis clone. I just want a series with interesting characters and plots. Going by what we've been told so far, SGU doesn't come across as a show which is going to provide either. As for Universe not being aimed at certain people, it appears that 'you' includes the majority of Stargate fans who are posting about it.

As I'm in the UK it won't make the slightest difference to the ratings whether I watch it or not.
            sigpic

Comment

So you'd all really rather let the franchise die than give Universe a chance? Really?
              "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                So you'd all really rather let the franchise die than give Universe a chance? Really?
                I believe that the responsibility for the future of the franchise is upon TPTB, the producers, the writers etc. not upon individual fans.

Comment

There is NO GOOD enough reason not to give universe a chance - it was the show runners decision to move on and I respect their decisions - surely by now they know what they are doing!

The only thing that concerns me is that universe will be more removed from earth and relatable situations and characters than sg1 and sga were.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                    I believe that the responsibility for the future of the franchise is upon TPTB, the producers, the writers etc. not upon individual fans.
                    ...thats partly true...but the show will fail if the fanbase isn't loyal
                    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

...thats partly true...but the show will fail if the fanbase isn't loyal
                      That is true, but you have to keep the fan base loyal.
                      Who’s responsible for that?
                      Is it blind loyalty to anything that is Stargate on part of the fan or is it TPTB making decisions and delivering a product that inspires and excites a fan base?

You will never get a fan base to completely agree or disagree, but in the end each individual fan is going to make a decision based on their own beliefs, their own interests and their own reasons. And I think we need to respect that.

SGU will live or die based on its own merits. I am pretty sure nothing we say or do on these boards will change that. But the boards are a place for people to express their delight or disgust with the new direction of the franchise and the new series. I don’t think that will change either.

Comment

That is true, but you have to keep the fan base loyal.
                        Who’s responsible for that?
                        Is it blind loyalty to anything that is Stargate on part of the fan or is it TPTB making decisions and delivering a product that inspires and excites a fan base?

You will never get a fan base to completely agree or disagree, but in the end each individual fan is going to make a decision based on their own beliefs, their own interests and their own reasons. And I think we need to respect that.

SGU will live or die based on its own merits. I am pretty sure nothing we say or do on these boards will change that. But the boards are a place for people to express their delight or disgust with the new direction of the franchise and the new series. I don’t think that will change either.
                        And I can totally respect that point of view...I will even agree...but does that warrant not even giving the pilot a chance?

Comment

I have a very good reason - one that can't be seen as a bad one even if you (the OP) tried.

I don't live in the land of Sci-Fi which means they don't care about me one way or another.

I don't watch the Stargate franchise, though, I watch Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of the franchise. I just happen to be a fan of these two shows.

I don't watch to keep the Stargates going, I watch to enjoy (even though lately that's been a problem).
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

And I can totally respect that point of view...I will even agree...but does that warrant not even giving the pilot a chance?
                            Thank you for saying you respect that point of view.
                            You make some good points too.

Does it warrant giving the pilot a chance?
                            For some fans yes – for the very reason we have discussed, they are loyal to Stargate and the franchise and will feel they owe it to watch SGU no matter what. And there is nothing wrong with that because it is their belief and their decision.

For some fans no - for the very reason we have discussed, they are not loyal to the franchise. For one reason or another they may have become disillusioned, unhappy or feel disconnected with the franchise. And there is nothing wrong with that because it is their belief and their decision.

Comment

Can ANYone give me one...and I want a GOOD reason
                              It's up to each indiviual Stargate fan whether they do or don't want to watch Universe.
                              Some people may say it's coz Atlantis was cancelled to make it, which I think is pretty much unjustified as this has not been confirmed and me saying that may not make them think it's the truth but the fact is it hasn't been confirmed.

As far as I'm conserned I will be giving the show a chance as in my opinion TPTB have not made a mistake with SG1 or SGA so why should things change for Universe just coz it's set on a ship with a slightly younger crew.
                              The team's still gonna use the Stargate and there's no telling yet what mythology will suround the Destiny.

Even if you're not fond of the idea of Universe and still feel bitter about Atlantis being cancelled it's gotta be worth at least 30 minutes of your time during the Pilot to see if has that same Stargate feel.

Comment

Thank you for saying you respect that point of view.
                                You make some good points too.

Does it warrant giving the pilot a chance?
                                For some fans yes – for the very reason we have discussed, they are loyal to Stargate and the franchise and will feel they owe it to watch SGU no matter what. And there is nothing wrong with that because it is their belief and their decision.

For some fans no - for the very reason we have discussed, they are not loyal to the franchise. For one reason or another they may have become disillusioned, unhappy or feel disconnected with the franchise. And there is nothing wrong with that because it is their belief and their decision.

I understand what your saying..I just think it would be really sad if people missed out on the continuation of a much loved franchize....I really don't want Eureka to gain more power

Comment

Working...
                                X