Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One GOOD reason not to give Universe a chance at the very least...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
    True, sort of. But the more I read about it, the worse it sounds.
    Expectations, whether good or bad, will ultimately lead to disappointment because the show will either be a) not as good as you thought it would be, or b) you thought it was bad and your in such a negative mindset already that only a top-class show could leave you satisfied. If you really wanted to give the show a chance you sit down and watch the first 2 episodes, 3 if your not sure fresh, which is what I am doing.

All I know is that they are looking to cast a known actor in the lead role or something.

People have already made some good points. I'll only stop watching if the shows first several episodes are really really poor. For me, SGA's first 4 or 5 episodes were really just establishing past knowledge such as ascension for new viewers. It is likely the same will happen in Universe. So the first 2 or 3 episodes after this "establishment period" will be the key factor on whether or not I watch on. So yea, if the show turns out to be really poor, super cliches, poor writing and characters, predictable storylines, etc
    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by aduk85 View Post
      i must admit i am a tad sceptical about this new show although i'll give it ago non the less.

but i must admit it does remind me of star trek somewhat
      Could be worse.. it could remind you of Babylon 5..
      BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Brain_Child View Post
        Expectations, whether good or bad, will ultimately lead to disappointment because the show will either be a) not as good as you thought it would be, or b) you thought it was bad and your in such a negative mindset already that only a top-class show could leave you satisfied. If you really wanted to give the show a chance you sit down and watch the first 2 episodes, 3 if your not sure fresh, which is what I am doing.
        But I already explained why I won't do that, unless my expectations raise enough for me to expect enjoying it. So far, it doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble.
        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
          Could be worse.. it could remind you of Babylon 5..
          I've never seen Babylon 5

Comment

Because they cancelled Atlantis to make that show. At least they didn't cancel Stargate to make Atlantis.

Vala,

Comment

phrases like "20 year old party girl" make me worry at least...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                Because they cancelled Atlantis to make that show. At least they didn't cancel Stargate to make Atlantis.

Vala,
                The fans need to know. This is why I have been spreading this like a brush fire. MGM was the one who pulled the plug, they had plans even before Season 5 aired to make room for SGU. So the ratings could of been through the roof and it wouldn't of mattered.

If SGU is received poorly by fans then MGM just killed the Stargate Franchise for TV with the exception of the SGA and SG-1 movies of course. They should of delayed the movies and run SGA with SGU for one season to test the waters. See, only a fraction of the SGA fans even know the show has been cancelled, not everyone reads the internet forums. I told one of my friends and he was beyond pissed and he never goes on the internet.

When SCI FI starts to announce/promote SGA as the final season, it will not be pretty. There will likely be a 2nd wave of pissed off fans coming on here.
                sigpic

Comment

Everyone moans now, i mean hell, even I thought that it sounded sucky to begin with but im going to give it a chance, and i bet all these peeps who are saying their not gonna watch it - i bet they will tune in for the pilot, at least... and then you can slate it if it really does turn out to be the train wreck we all think/thought it may be.
                  Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
                    True, sort of. But the more I read about it, the worse it sounds.
                    i know the feeling

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Ok so a lot of you are planning to boycott Universe? Wow great idea...not really. If most of you don't watch it, that's less viewers and Universe will be cancelled. To you that seems like what you want. But Atlantis won't come back after that. Perhaps you should take into account that if Universe does bad, the franchise will take a hit. Perhaps a Star Trek will happen and no more Stargate on TV. Just SG-1 and Atlantis movies and perhaps Universe movies. Are you really wanting the franchise to take a dive because you're pissed Atlantis was taken away?

I'm a huge Atlantis fan. I was just upset at the early cancellation, however, I decided 'you know what, I'll give Universe a chance and hope that does just as well. I look forward to the movies and hope they are just as good.'

Give Universe a chance and perhaps the franchise will explode into more series, maybe even more than Star Trek, and tons of movies. Think before acting.
                      There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

what you don't get is.....if people no longer like the show, why would they care if the franchise continues to exist????

It's kinda like the vegetarian not being upset that the hamburger joint on the corner is shutting down.

I'm all for saying folks shouldn't boycott, but the name calling, etc, needs to not happen.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          The fans need to know. This is why I have been spreading this like a brush fire. MGM was the one who pulled the plug, they had plans even before Season 5 aired to make room for SGU. So the ratings could of been through the roof and it wouldn't of mattered.

If SGU is received poorly by fans then MGM just killed the Stargate Franchise for TV with the exception of the SGA and SG-1 movies of course. They should of delayed the movies and run SGA with SGU for one season to test the waters. See, only a fraction of the SGA fans even know the show has been cancelled, not everyone reads the internet forums. I told one of my friends and he was beyond pissed and he never goes on the internet.

When SCI FI starts to announce/promote SGA as the final season, it will not be pretty. There will likely be a 2nd wave of pissed off fans coming on here.
                          LOL. The 2nd wave will be far worse then the first I think! Especially when they see why it was canceled.

SGU had better be good. I really like Stargate, it's my favorite Sci-Fi show. I know it's a long shot, but if SGU ends up being as bad as I think it is then I hope they can revive SGA... or at least something...

Sometimes fast greed can cause you to loose everything. Sometimes it's better to go slow. I'm sure they would of made more money if they let Atlantis run for a few more seasons and had SGU slowly coming together in the background. Then get all the money from that.

It's not like they would loose money if they did it that way, right?

Comment

I really dont care, the premise for Universe has already been done but this time it'll have a Stargate twist. If they get really bored and throw the borg in there then I wont watch it....... or I will cause i'm a mindless drone that needs to be attached to something. Either way, they should fix that age to rank ratio. I'm tired of seeing Officers that are only 25.

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                              Can ANYone give me one...and I want a GOOD reason
                              You mean that the reaosns already said are not good enough for you?
                              Then i guess you've made up your mind from the begining and there isn't a reason for asking anyway.
                              I can give you more than reasons btw. The main one is that the people who took the decision, wanted a more mainstream show, more like a soap, space opera, like BSG, now that this show is calcelled to. So they cancell SGA to make one, and they name it SGU just to have both shows fans happy.
                              I won't buy this. I loved Stargate as it was, not like a soap space opera.
                              Spoiler:
                              APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                              (YEAR 0 - 100)
                              "O thou Sun,
                              send me as far over the earth
                              as is my pleasure and thine,
                              and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                              but never hear anything of bad ones,
                              nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

more than 1* (num lock was .. locked)