Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stargate Universe" Discussion/Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really can't wait to get this show started. We need a new Stargate fix.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Got the confirmation...

PG15 also writes: “Questions :

1. Marty G. just twittered that he’s “working on episode 115? of SGU. Is he writing it? [...]”

Answers: 1. Yep. Marty G. is working on the outline and having a lot of fun with this particular story. Can’t wait to read it. [...]
      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-some-mailbag/

Comment

"Universe will attempt to appeal to a broader audience, drawing new viewers into the Stargate world. The show will be "a little more character-based, a little less rooted in a sci-fi mythology," co-creator Brad Wright told GateWorld."

i must say that when i read this quote on gateworld my first reaction was 'oh great its enterprise all over again, why cant the producers be happy with the fans they have... sci fi fans are after all the most loyal out there...'

but im really hoping that moving away from having that ability to contact earth will have more of a voyager affect then an enterprise one... because lets face it when they dumbed down enterprise to draw in a new fan base they took away alot of what star trek is by stuffing up the continuity and such of the franchise... i really hope that universe doesnt go down the same road by alienating the loyal fanbase stargate already has in its attempt to appeal to a broader audience...

i dont know about the rest of you but i love the sci fi mythology and technobable, its part of what makes sci fi, sci fi... if people dont like that then they can watch any of the many other shows out there...

so fingers crossed universe is of the same calabre as the other stargate incarnations and that we didnt lose atlantis for nothing...
        "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          i dont know about the rest of you but i love the sci fi mythology and technobable, its part of what makes sci fi, sci fi... if people dont like that then they can watch any of the many other shows out there
          Unfortunately it seems that people continue to want less and less of this, to the point where sci-fi is nothing more than an ordinary show in a different setting

They want less and less sci-fi in their sci-fi shows. They may as well not even watch sci-fi if thats what they are looking for.
          BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by katjoy View Post

but im really hoping that moving away from having that ability to contact earth will have more of a voyager affect then an enterprise one...
            Spoiler:

I was under the impression that they will be able to contact earth is some matter with an ancient communication device. The thing that make you take over body. I'm not sure if its the same thing on SGU.

Here's an CNN article about the singer-songwriter, Janelle Monae, making an appearance as herself in 2 episodes of Stargate Universe. I guess SGU could use more "Fugitive android, time-traveling songstress".

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/...janelle.morae/

Its probable the Stargate Universe crew will have some contact with earth. I think its way too soon in the series. I also did like the epic nature of the Voyager journey. Being lost out of contact with earth. Contacting earth like season 3 or 5 would be better imo.

i dont know about the rest of you but i love the sci fi mythology and technobable, its part of what makes sci fi, sci fi... if people dont like that then they can watch any of the many other shows out there...
            It make the whole thing more realistic. If scientific people, detectives, or military people are out in the field, they will use 'professional terms'. The stories feel more solid, visceral. They are not supposed to be a bunch of teenagers in space.

so fingers crossed universe is of the same calabre as the other stargate incarnations and that we didnt lose atlantis for nothing...
            Lets hope.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
              Unfortunately it seems that people continue to want less and less of this, to the point where sci-fi is nothing more than an ordinary show in a different setting

They want less and less sci-fi in their sci-fi shows. They may as well not even watch sci-fi if thats what they are looking for.
              Technobabble is one aspect of NEW sci fi. And by new I mean Star Trek (yes even though it dates back to the 60's) Sci Fi is a much older genre than Doctor Who and Star Trek and people need to realise that 'an ordinary show in a different setting' as katjoy highlighted is actually what sci fi is all about. The exploration of the human condition and socio-political commentary through taking identifiable situations that can be related to and putting them into a vastly unfamiliar situation. That is what Sci Fi does. Technobabble is a relatively new phenomenon that is NOT synonymous with sci-fi.

This doesn't mean military personnel won't use military jargon, nor will it mean that there won't be complex scientific situations - it just means that they won't be hidden behind.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The description of the situation with technical terms makes the story so much more realistic and visceral.

Popular drama shows like CSI have made their popularity in using scientific angle to their stories. Same as Criminal minds. We shouldn't underestimate the intelligence of the people, since it make the situation much more realistic and visceral (we know what's actually happening).
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

IF this is the route SGU's going, it will diminish the show's appeal - to me, anyway. It almost seems like this is the technobabble trend swinging the other way - in the 90s you couldn't get away from it in every Trek, and now it's the opposite.

It reminds me a little of that Mitchell and Webb sketch with the writers talking about their new medical show and how they didn't research the jargon because they felt it detracted from the drama: "Quick! Give me 10cc of medicine!".

Maybe SGU will be the series that finds the happy medium between sci-fi fan appeasing technobabble and less outwardly geeky broader appeal, although personally speaking, I think SG-1 found it a while back.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

As long as the technobabble isn't just nonsensical jargon I doubt many people care how much there is, as long as it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Technobabble is one aspect of NEW sci fi. And by new I mean Star Trek (yes even though it dates back to the 60's) Sci Fi is a much older genre than Doctor Who and Star Trek and people need to realise that 'an ordinary show in a different setting' as katjoy highlighted is actually what sci fi is all about. The exploration of the human condition and socio-political commentary through taking identifiable situations that can be related to and putting them into a vastly unfamiliar situation. That is what Sci Fi does. Technobabble is a relatively new phenomenon that is NOT synonymous with sci-fi.

This doesn't mean military personnel won't use military jargon, nor will it mean that there won't be complex scientific situations - it just means that they won't be hidden behind.
                      Someone give the man a prize, because he's the nail on its head!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Shame it's so 'Earth looking' though...
                        You owe me a cup of coffee...

I'm going to chooser to take that as snark.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

I do believe we've had this conversation before.

I expect royalties.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                          Another update from Martin Gero's Twitter (35 minutes ago):-

http://twitter.com/martingero
                          Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          well with Gero writing it... I am not interested!

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
                            Rant in Motion... I think that Stargate Universe will bring around the end of the Stargate Sega.
                            *Sonic the Hedgehog bounces around* SEEEGAAA!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

As for your main points, well yes money was possibly too much of a factor in ending Atlantis and starting Universe but:

1. SG1 should have ended on a reasonable not after S8 instead of shoehorning an extra two seasons in. 8 seasons was an unusually long was. 10 was just plain freaky.

2. Five seasons is a pretty solid run for Atlantis!

Nothing to complain about.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

From (hopefully the real) Lou Diamond Philips's twitter:

Leaving for Costa Rica in a week. Won't be back in Vancouver for Stargate until August or later, I think maybe the last couple of episodes.
                              http://twitter.com/LouDPhillips/status/1855318054

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                                You owe me a cup of coffee...

I'm going to chooser to take that as snark.

I do believe we've had this conversation before.

I expect royalties.
                                No I was serious. They could have easily spray painted all the plants red or something, they're only plastic...

Comment

Working...
                                X