Disappointed with the Arc of Truth? Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
    when? I assume you mean that short scene in the beginning. There was nothing more about their conflict after that.
    No I mean that scene combined with the scene we saw later just before they left the galaxy.

I disagree it should have been movie about the Ori conflict. Replicator part was too long. I wouln't have minded part about the replictors, if it have lasted only for 10-15 minutes, not a half of a movie.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't know, I saw only non-cgi version.
    THey are way better I saw both and trust me the visuals are way better.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
      What did it tell us that we didn't already know?
      Well for one it showed that the Ancients weren't simply arrogant on the whole Ori thing. We knew about the free will concept though the emotion of that scene really showed us just why they didn't use the ark.

What "twist"? The introduction of the replicators wasn't a twist - you have to take an existing plot element in order to "twist" it. It was just an insert - ony unexpected because it had nothing to do with the Ori. No twist involved there. If it had been a twist, then being unexpected would indeed be a plus point, but since it wasn't a plot twist its unexpectedness is merely a measurement of its incongruity. Not a good thing.
      I disagree.

Adria's fiery effect was pretty good, as I've already said. There was nothing special about the rest of the visual effects. Not that this has much to do with complexity.

Acting was (mostly) good, but the actors had very little to play with because the script was so empty. And slow.
      Again I disagree.

Comment

AOT finally came out in australia officailly today and even thou i had seen the downloaded pre vis version i rushed down the shops and brought it first thing. Have a few thoughts now.

When i watched the pre vis version with just the blue and red dots for the adria and morgan battle i was hoping for a big fight scene in the completed film but it just wasn't there. The battle lasts all of thrity seconds and was as dramatic as a puff of smoke in the wind.

The premise of the ark itself seems a little tacked on to the ori story arc to me. If it was meant for a full 11th season i could see how it would work, but it definately lacked power because it wasn't fleshed out. Seemed a bit like, oh wait, there's this thing the ancients built, its powerful, its essentially unethical but we need it lets use it. If it is as powerful as we are supposed to beleive it should take more then a few hours trekking around a mountain to find, i mean look at the sangraal with the dragon etc. That mid season two parter seemed to be what AOT should have been in my book.

As for the replicators, I'm sort of glad to see them back in a sense. they certainly added some much needed drama and action to the movie but also some cheese - replicator terminator anyone? lol

I still like AOT, dont get me wrong, its nice to clean up the ori story. But by all reports continuum is the one to wait for - the freedom to have stand alone movies will be a big plus from here on in.

Mind you i'm such a massive fan i would buy 2 hours of Amanda tapping reading the newspaper if it came out on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix Commander View Post
          AOT finally came out in australia officailly today and even thou i had seen the downloaded pre vis version i rushed down the shops and brought it first thing. Have a few thoughts now.

When i watched the pre vis version with just the blue and red dots for the adria and morgan battle i was hoping for a big fight scene in the completed film but it just wasn't there. The battle lasts all of thrity seconds and was as dramatic as a puff of smoke in the wind.
          I knew what to expect mainly becuase from the pre vis it looked similar to the Anubis/Oma battle from Threads. However I did find it more dramatic than you did.

The premise of the ark itself seems a little tacked on to the ori story arc to me. If it was meant for a full 11th season i could see how it would work, but it definately lacked power because it wasn't fleshed out. Seemed a bit like, oh wait, there's this thing the ancients built, its powerful, its essentially unethical but we need it lets use it. If it is as powerful as we are supposed to beleive it should take more then a few hours trekking around a mountain to find, i mean look at the sangraal with the dragon etc. That mid season two parter seemed to be what AOT should have been in my book.
          The thing is this isn't what was planed for the 11th season. The whole Sangreal thing would have been different as well had they been picked up. They could only do so much in a two hour movie tie up and they did it well IMO.I would have loved had this been stretched over a whole season but I am pleased with what we got.

As for the replicators, I'm sort of glad to see them back in a sense. they certainly added some much needed drama and action to the movie but also some cheese - replicator terminator anyone? lol
          I too thought the same though I didn't find it cheesy.

I still like AOT, dont get me wrong, its nice to clean up the ori story. But by all reports continuum is the one to wait for - the freedom to have stand alone movies will be a big plus from here on in.
          I am looking forward to Continuum as well.

Mind you i'm such a massive fan i would buy 2 hours of Amanda tapping reading the newspaper if it came out on DVD.
          Me too.

Comment

It probably sounds like i'm being overly critical. AOT would have made a good two part story, because it would have had some lead up to it, ie like the sangraal how we had a few episodes following leads and then the big two parter. The ark just seemed a little convienient as in we hadn't really heard anything about it from what i can recall and then magically in 2 hours the ori are defeated.
            I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline. I think the stand alone movies will be fantastic and look forward to hopefully many of them and whilst i enjoyed AOT and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, i feel more relief then anything else at the end of it that the ori story arc is sorted and now we can move on.
            It might be that i'm a unique stargate fan in that i have enjoyed atlantis more in the past 2 years then SG1. IMO the ori story line was a bit weak after the final years of Anubis and then atlantis starting. Just my thoughts and i'll probably get presecuted here for saying it because to choise SG1's little brother Atlantis over it, is almost sacreligious! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix Commander
              I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline.
              yup yup - they could've closed that storyline without rushing it in a (pseudo) two-part episode :/

Comment

I was at the Vancouver convention and was one of the lucky 20 people who got to ride a bus with Michael Shanks and Lexa Doig to the premier of Continuum. During the ride, Michael Shanks himself, said that he was not happy with some of the aspects of the Ori story line. He said that the Sangral was like a magic grenade that they tossed into the supergate making everything wonderful. The same, he said, applied to the chest in AoT. He thought the solutions to the problems were a little too convenient.
                Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pheonix Commander View Post
                  It probably sounds like i'm being overly critical. AOT would have made a good two part story, because it would have had some lead up to it, ie like the sangraal how we had a few episodes following leads and then the big two parter. The ark just seemed a little convienient as in we hadn't really heard anything about it from what i can recall and then magically in 2 hours the ori are defeated.
                  I do see your point though I disagree.
                  I agree that an eleventh season would have been great, and i think that is what was needed to do justice to the ori stroyline. I think the stand alone movies will be fantastic and look forward to hopefully many of them and whilst i enjoyed AOT and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, i feel more relief then anything else at the end of it that the ori story arc is sorted and now we can move on.
                  Oh I agree actually.
                  It might be that i'm a unique stargate fan in that i have enjoyed atlantis more in the past 2 years then SG1. IMO the ori story line was a bit weak after the final years of Anubis and then atlantis starting. Just my thoughts and i'll probably get presecuted here for saying it because to choise SG1's little brother Atlantis over it, is almost sacreligious! lol
                  Far from it. Many haven't liked the last two seasons as much (I have however).

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                    I was at the Vancouver convention and was one of the lucky 20 people who got to ride a bus with Michael Shanks and Lexa Doig to the premier of Continuum. During the ride, Michael Shanks himself, said that he was not happy with some of the aspects of the Ori story line. He said that the Sangral was like a magic grenade that they tossed into the supergate making everything wonderful. The same, he said, applied to the chest in AoT. He thought the solutions to the problems were a little too convenient.
                    Wait you've seen Continuum? Lucky SOB how was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                      Well for one it showed that the Ancients weren't simply arrogant on the whole Ori thing. We knew about the free will concept though the emotion of that scene really showed us just why they didn't use the ark.
                      We already knew about that attitude from the previous season. It was nothing new.

Can you explain how you disagree on the second point? Are you disagreeing with 'writing 101'?
                      scarimor

Comment

Wait you've seen Continuum? Lucky SOB how was it?
                        Continuum blows AoT away!! It has great visuals and lots of action. You guys are gonna love it. I can't tell you details because I had to sign a waver. But I KNOW it will break AoT's sales records, no problem.
                        Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
                          We already knew about that attitude from the previous season. It was nothing new.

Can you explain how you disagree on the second point? Are you disagreeing with 'writing 101'?
                          I'm disagreeing in your view of the writing. You didn't like the writing of the movie I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                            Continuum blows AoT away!! It has great visuals and lots of action. You guys are gonna love it. I can't tell you details because I had to sign a waver. But I KNOW it will break AoT's sales records, no problem.
                            Good to hear. I loved Ark of Truth and from what I have seen Continuum will be great. I know you can't say anything about the plot but did you see a completed version or still a bit rough like the AoT screener.

Comment

I'm disagreeing in your view of the writing. You didn't like the writing of the movie I did.
                              No, on that second point I specified you disagreed about the definition of a "plot twist". You're not disagreeing with just me on that, you're disagreeing with elementary fiction writing principles ('101'). What kind of writing you "like" is up to you, and not the same issue.
                              scarimor

Comment

I think what some are calling a plot twist, I call a mish mash.

Comment

Working...
                                X