X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post

snip

Adria was fooled again

Actually, the whole Adria thing is what I was most disappointed with in regards to this movie. In the series, Adria seemed to be a conflicted soul who really believed that the Ancients were lying and were the evil ones, and that the Ori were telling the truth about ascending their followers. I would have liked to see her acting differently once she ascended and learned the truth. From what I glimpsed of her character during the series, I would have expected her to turn Good when she learned the truth, rather than turning more evil. An even better turn of events would have been if it ended up that both the Ancients and the Ori were lying, and that the actual truth was something else. That too would have made Adria at least partially good. But to make her as pure evil as they did seemed like bad writing to me and a complete waste of the complexity that seemed to be written into her character during the series.
    Last edited by Liam Kincaid; 11 April 2008, 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The biggest thing that i hated about the Ark of Truth was that it did not feel like it was on an epic scale at all. I actually liked the ori a lot and loved how much of a threat they were to earth. that ending scene in camelot really gave me hopes that we were in for some trouble. Naturally i was expecting the ark of truth to finish them off in a great way but i thought it was done pretty badly. There is practically no space battle and they are stopped pretty easily. I also love the replicators but they did not have to be in this at all. I really wish that there was a bigger sense of threat from the movie. I could say much more but i think i got my view across. The movie wasnt terrible by any means. its still amussing to watch and the ori soldiers vs. sg-1 scenes were cool.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
        No, on that second point I specified you disagreed about the definition of a "plot twist". You're not disagreeing with just me on that, you're disagreeing with elementary fiction writing principles ('101'). What kind of writing you "like" is up to you, and not the same issue.
        I prefer you not throw education in the mix. I may not be a writer I'm a military man. I just don't see the issue that you do.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          I think what some are calling a plot twist, I call a mish mash.
          lol, yep.

Darth Vader revealing that he is Luke Skywalker's father is a plot twist. Cooper borrowing an unrelated plot line from a past episode is just bad writing.
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            I prefer you not throw education in the mix. I may not be a writer I'm a military man. I just don't see the issue that you do.
            roflmao

What's education got to do with it? You're bringing that into it, not me. And who are you to decide what we can and can't talk about?

If you're unfamiliar with the meaning of terms, just don't use them or don't get offended when it's pointed out to you. Is it really so scary? Arc of Truth was devoid of plot twists. This military brat can see that, lol. So can this writer. So can a lot of people who are neither, and thought it was lacking as a result (and for other reasons). If you still liked it, so be it. No one's disagreeing with your right to like it. It's just a discussion - a grown-up one, lol.
            Last edited by scarimor; 12 April 2008, 02:13 AM.
            scarimor

Comment

roflmao
              If you're unfamiliar with the meaning of terms, just don't use them or don't get offended when it's pointed out to you. Is it really so scary? Arc of Truth was devoid of plot twists. This military brat can see that, lol. So can this writer. So can a lot of people who are neither, and thought it was lacking as a result (and for other reasons). If you still liked it, so be it. No one's disagreeing with your right to like it. It's just a discussion - a grown-up one, lol.
              Are you saying that the replicator twist is NOT a plot twist? I just want to make sure I understand what's being said here.

And for the record, the Ark of Truth is NOT devoid of plot twists. You may not LIKE the plot twists but they're there. There's a big difference between not liking something and saying they don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
                Are you saying that the replicator twist is NOT a plot twist? I just want to make sure I understand what's being said here.

And for the record, the Ark of Truth is NOT devoid of plot twists. You may not LIKE the plot twists but they're there. There's a big difference between not liking something and saying they don't exist.
                Nope replicator 'twist' is not a plot twist it's THE PLOT.
                Judging by the length, drama and importance of the 2 'plots' this movie is not about the Ori (they're just mentioned in it and Adria has a whooping 5 minute appearance) but about the Replicators!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                  Judging by the length, drama and importance of the 2 'plots' this movie is not about the Ori (they're just mentioned in it and Adria has a whooping 5 minute appearance) but about the Replicators!
                  I would have preferred a movie about the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
                    I would have preferred a movie about the Ori.
                    yeah, me too
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

I would have preferred a movie about the Ori or a separate movie about the replicators.

And, in order for there to be plot twists, wouldn't there need to be a plot?

And, on the subject of plot twists, aren't plot twists suppose to be unpredictable and unsuspected twists to an existing plot?

Comment

roflmao

What's education got to do with it? You're bringing that into it, not me. And who are you to decide what we can and can't talk about?

No need to get snappy. I disagree with you so lets leave it at that.

Comment

Bingo.

Comment

According to http://www.allwords.com/word-plot+twist.html
                            this is the definition of plot twist plot twist
                            noun
                            A change in the direction or expected outcome of the plot of a film, novel, computer role-playing game, or other form of narration.
                            So yes it is.

Comment

Here's a definition of plot twist:
                              A plot twist is a change ("twist") in the direction or expected outcome of the plot of a film, television series, video game, novel, comic or other fictional work. It is a common practice in narration used to keep the interest of an audience, usually surprising them with a revelation. Some "twists" are foreshadowed and can thus be predicted by many viewers, whereas others are a complete shock.
                              For me, I did not expect Merrick to sabotage the ship and produce a replicator. I didn't know how he'd become involved in the storyline other than to cause friction with Mitchell, but I basically expected Sam and Mitchell stay with the others and continue to look for the ark. So for Merrick to sabotage the ship and then produce a replicator is defnitely a plot twist. It was not the "expected outcome." Same with when Merlin was revealed to be Morgan. I did not expect that at all.

Other people obviously don't like these twists for whatever reason, but they are plot twists, whether you like them perosnally or not.

Comment

That's right. It's not a twist. See the above discussion for an explanation of what constitutes a twist in a plot. It needs to be an exisiting element of the plot in order to be "twisted". The replicator element comes out of left field (to borrow a baseball metaphor )

And for the record, the Ark of Truth is NOT devoid of plot twists. You may not LIKE the plot twists but they're there.
                                I've tried hard to identify one in this film but come up empty. Possibly one has escaped my notice, in which case perhaps you can specify it? I'm happy to concede any you find

There's a big difference between not liking something and saying they don't exist.
                                Indeed, but in this case they don't exist. Unless you can name a plot element that subsequently twists..?
                                Last edited by scarimor; 12 April 2008, 10:52 PM.
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X