Disappointed with the Arc of Truth? Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    I took theater in college so I do know the basics which I feel were followed in AoT.
    Plot twist, i think, is more of a laymen's term rather than a pure technical one in playwright's speak. i do think, however, everyone is saying semantically the same sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
      Plot twist, i think, is more of a laymen's term rather than a pure technical one in playwright's speak. i do think, however, everyone is saying semantically the same sort of thing.
      True. Both sides of the argument are doing the same thing.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I have to confess I was also disappointed with Aot. The replicator plot was less of a twist and more of a nasty surprise. I just wish they could have created a plot that didn't rely on most of the characters to act like idiots for over an hour in order for it to work.
        Heck, I would've expected even the mindless evil replicator imitating the Terminator to be a 'lil bit smarter.
        ...unless that replicator absorbed the personality of Merrick and was channeling his anger at Mitchell?

For a movie that was supposed to resolve the Ori plot (A plot I loved by the way) there wasn't a lot of new information about them. Well except that we have now confirmed that ascension turns one into a blubbering idiot (seriously, I could have stopped that prior looking into the ark, w/out any special powers! The fact they show this scene in slow motion only exacerbates this feeling).
        I definitely would have preferred some real answers about the Ori over the replicator plot. We already know the replicators are persistent little buggers. We still don't know very much about ascended beings! To find out the key details of a plot from interviews with RCC is not going to make the movie better. It may actually make it worse.
        If Morgan is "on a mission" then WHY WASN'T THAT IN THE MOVIE?!?!?!?!
        Mentioning it afterwards does not make up for its lack in the movie.

Sorry had to vent. I had high expectations for this movie and It's got me a little perturbed.
        "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Ok, here goes. I have only watched seasons 1-4 mainly because I waited until they were under $20 per season. I have read the synopsis for each season thereafter. Most seem pretty convoluted when compared to the first four. The whole idea of adding ascended beings to the mix when we already had several great alien races just seems too far out. But anyway, seasons 9-10 really seem far out. Again, just going on the synopsis. I plan to watch all of them eventually. I was going to wait until I had seen them all before watching TAOT, but my wife bought it when she first saw it. I put in the cabinet with the intention of waiting. Couldn't stand it, got bored, needed something I haven't seen. So, I read about seasons 9-10 and watched "The Road Taken" and of course the movie. Yikes! What a freakin mess! Not even being familiar with later seasons can explain how poorly this was done. The whole "the people on the ship have to have something to do"??? Give me a break. Saw that in Star Trek:First Contact. Half the crew on the surface the other half fighting the Borg. When I saw the Replicator I sat up and practically yelled WHAT!?? Didn't they defeat those already? I could go on and on, but most of you have already said all I could say. I felt even more lost after watching this than I did before. Felt like I was re-watching several other sci fi movies rolled into one bad one. I'll tell you where $7 million went. Helicopters and craft services (snackage) are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by JediKnutt View Post
            Ok, here goes. I have only watched seasons 1-4 mainly because I waited until they were under $20 per season. I have read the synopsis for each season thereafter. Most seem pretty convoluted when compared to the first four. The whole idea of adding ascended beings to the mix when we already had several great alien races just seems too far out. But anyway, seasons 9-10 really seem far out. Again, just going on the synopsis. I plan to watch all of them eventually. I was going to wait until I had seen them all before watching TAOT, but my wife bought it when she first saw it. I put in the cabinet with the intention of waiting. Couldn't stand it, got bored, needed something I haven't seen. So, I read about seasons 9-10 and watched "The Road Taken" and of course the movie. Yikes! What a freakin mess! Not even being familiar with later seasons can explain how poorly this was done. The whole "the people on the ship have to have something to do"??? Give me a break. Saw that in Star Trek:First Contact. Half the crew on the surface the other half fighting the Borg. When I saw the Replicator I sat up and practically yelled WHAT!?? Didn't they defeat those already? I could go on and on, but most of you have already said all I could say. I felt even more lost after watching this than I did before. Felt like I was re-watching several other sci fi movies rolled into one bad one. I'll tell you where $7 million went. Helicopters and craft services (snackage) are expensive.
            No offense but this movie was meant to tie up the last two seasons as a "love letter" to the fans so it wasn't meant for casual viewers like yourself. It would have made alot more sense if you watched the entire series.

Comment

No offense but this movie was meant to tie up the last two seasons as a "love letter" to the fans so it wasn't meant for casual viewers like yourself. It would have made alot more sense if you watched the entire series.
              I've watched the wholde series from the very beginning, and I agree with what JediKnutt said.
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                I've watched the wholde series from the very beginning, and I agree with what JediKnutt said.
                To each their own.

Comment

I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed with the movie. It was what I expected it to be based on what I had seen in season 9 and 10.

I rented it...thought it was good for a family type movie to watch on an evening with nothing to do.

Also rented Alvin and the Chipmunks and that was better than I expected it to be.

I will rent continuum and then decided...continuum is harder for me to make my expectations ahead of time due to no previous set up for the movie like Ark of Truth was.

Over all it was rather predictable, kind of heavy on the special effects and light on deep character development. But safe for kids to watch.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Safe for kids, except for the three instances of profanity. I'm no prude, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it because of the language. Also, it seems the "love letter" has turned into a "Dear John" letter for quite a few people.

Comment

I have to agree that it was extremely disapointing. I haven't liked the ori storyline as much as the older ones, but that didn't put me off watching it as I love all things stargate (well not Infinity, but nobody likes that)

The whole thing worked as a way to end the ori storyline, but did feel like nothing more than a 2 parter with the exception of the theatrical score.

The replicators, whilst nice to see them in their true form again, were completely pointless in the plot, it was a film to END THE ORI STORY ARC so why bring the replicators into it, and dear god what was with the terminator lookalike replicator, that was just completely unnecessary in the replicator plot, and it looked so stupid, I understand why they wrote in the bit about getting the deativation code, but the fight scene was just too long, and felt like it was filling in the time to make the film long enough.

How did the replicator even escape in the first place? I bet that anyone on here would have taken a P90 or some other gun into the asgard core either when apprehending Merrick, or when they got the ARGs, not having a proper gun was just asking for trouble. IMO it is just common sense to take a P90 as well as the ARG, just incase. In fact I would rather use a P90 since they work no matter what, whereas the reps can adapt to the ARGs as seen on multiple occasions.

Instead of the replicator plot I would have prefered to watch the Apollo and the ancient weapons platform in antarctica defending earth from the ori fleet. But instead of this the Ori fleet sat at the edge of the solar system for what must have been days, before SG1 finally got back and used the ark on the prior kept captive on base (also why didn't he overcome the anti-prior device, he was there long enough, much longer than it took others to do it). Seriously, why didn't the ori ships attack, even Anubis was smart enough to send a group of Hatak against earth to test the water before sending in the main fleet. And that raises another question, there was no mention of using Merlin's device to hide the planet like in "The Road Not Taken".

If the Ori fleet had to show up, it could have just as easily been just as SG1 got back, and they convinced the prior just in the nick of time that the ori aren't gods.

Even the existence of the ark made no sense, right at the start the alteran woman said "leave it, it'll all be destroyed when we leave" to the guy who built the ark, and yet it was clearly intact several million years later when SG1 find it

So many things about this plot were unnecessary, and so many ither things were left out. But at least they ended the Ori story arc and we can get back to the good old SG1 style stories with the rest of the films (got to love Ba'al, he is a proper bad guy, not some dodgy ascended being).

Comment

Originally posted by JediKnutt View Post
                        Safe for kids, except for the three instances of profanity. I'm no prude, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it because of the language. Also, it seems the "love letter" has turned into a "Dear John" letter for quite a few people.
                        Wait you won't let your kids watch because of "oh *hit" which is the worst word used in the movie. I mean no offense but "Law and Order" has worse language.

Comment

My wife and I just got to watch AoT last night. I'll admit I loved it. I was very tired and worried I'd fall asleep in the middle of it but it not only woke me up, it kept me interested. I did have a few gripes with it.

First when Teal'c is revived and starts running to Celestis, I was so psyched to see Teal'C go 'rambo' on a bunch of Ori soldiers etc. Instead he shows up with a cloak as if he went in by stealth. That was a plot hole large enough to drive a buick through.

I wasn't fond of Introducing a replicator, and I really wanted Merrick to be a sleeper trust operative. To have him create the replicator then do nothing was lame. I realize he couldn't take authority from Mitchell, he'd have failed, but he could have done more to control the ship I think.

Where's carter? She came off rather weak in this one, With all the power of that core to create things, you are telling me she could not have created something that at least could slow the things down a bit?

I didn't mind Mitchell getting the Tar Beat out of him. Or Teal'c's epic walk to rescue jackson and valla. I also expected a bit more conversation between Valla and Adria. I honestly thought Valla should have made Adria angry, and in that anger Valla get's hurt (but not killed obviously) That was rather disappointing.

oh and aside about Threads and MOrgan v Adria. I've always felt that at some point those never ending battles could in theory end. Nothing says they need continue endlessly.

Also the ending. Are they trying to manufacture some sexual tension between Carter and Cameron? Good lord, just kiss him already Sam if you want to kiss him that badly. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Veretax View Post
                            I really wanted Merrick to be a sleeper trust operative.
                            I agree, he could so easily have been a trust operative within the IOA rather than just a bad plan on behalf of the IOA, remember they are suppised to be somewhat smart whereas the trust just try their best to screw over the bad guys however they can

Where's carter? She came off rather weak in this one, With all the power of that core to create things, you are telling me she could not have created something that at least could slow the things down a bit?
                            how about a time dilation field or something to stop the ori killing them until the replicators were dead? that would have solved the problem and she managed to do it in a few seconds before anyway

I have to admit that the ori attack on the Odyssey was pretty pathetic, the replicators, who had full control over navigation etc are smart enough to fly away from the enemy, or fight back until the enemy shields are down and then infiltrate the other ships. If they had taken over the asgard ships and then sat still they would have been easily wiped out in season 4

Comment

Originally posted by Veretax View Post
                              My wife and I just got to watch AoT last night. I'll admit I loved it. I was very tired and worried I'd fall asleep in the middle of it but it not only woke me up, it kept me interested. I did have a few gripes with it.

First when Teal'c is revived and starts running to Celestis, I was so psyched to see Teal'C go 'rambo' on a bunch of Ori soldiers etc. Instead he shows up with a cloak as if he went in by stealth. That was a plot hole large enough to drive a buick through.
                              I'll admit that they didn't show Teal'c killing a soldier for the cloak however it was done like that so the "reveal" of him would be more of a surprise. Also stealth was the only way to do it because I doubt even he could fight off hundreds of soldiers.

I wasn't fond of Introducing a replicator, and I really wanted Merrick to be a sleeper trust operative. To have him create the replicator then do nothing was lame.
                              I disagree. He was a sleeper the replicator was his mission.
                              I realize he couldn't take authority from Mitchell, he'd have failed, but he could have done more to control the ship I think.
                              Actually yes he could. He did have the authority to replace him. But we wouldn't have let him once his plan was revealed.

She tried but the replicators were hooked into the systems almost immediately. She did everything she could.

I didn't mind Mitchell getting the Tar Beat out of him. Or Teal'c's epic walk to rescue jackson and valla. I also expected a bit more conversation between Valla and Adria. I honestly thought Valla should have made Adria angry, and in that anger Valla get's hurt (but not killed obviously) That was rather disappointing.
                              Adria couldn't hurt her. Despite everything she still can't bring herself to hurt Vala.

oh and aside about Threads and MOrgan v Adria. I've always felt that at some point those never ending battles could in theory end. Nothing says they need continue endlessly.
                              Agreed though I don't think the Oma/Anubis thing is the same as Morgan/Adria. Oma and Anubis were locked in a never ending battle because their power was equal. In this case Morgan had the advantage and I think they were both destroyed not locked in a never ending battle.

Also the ending. Are they trying to manufacture some sexual tension between Carter and Cameron? Good lord, just kiss him already Sam if you want to kiss him that badly. Sheesh.
                              It was a friendly peck nothing more. She can't have a relationship with him anymore than she could with Jack when he was on Sg-1.

Comment

I'll admit that they didn't show Teal'c killing a soldier for the cloak however it was done like that so the "reveal" of him would be more of a surprise. Also stealth was the only way to do it because I doubt even he could fight off hundreds of soldiers.
                                they were drunk and were sleeping, that's why nobody was in the Celestis

Adria couldn't hurt her. Despite everything she still can't bring herself to hurt Vala.
                                no, but she could have hurt Daniel or Teal'c. She was only stupid. She was one of the biggest dissapointment in AoT.

Agreed though I don't think the Oma/Anubis thing is the same as Morgan/Adria. Oma and Anubis were locked in a never ending battle because their power was equal. In this case Morgan had the advantage and I think they were both destroyed not locked in a never ending battle.
                                I think Cooper said in an interview that Adria and Morgan are trapped in a never ending battle. But I could be wrong.
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X