Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: the original movie- what should have been kept as part of SG-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is contradicting evidence. We see the movie's idea of the alien Ra. It's a pointy teethed Grey.

There's also a theory that the Guards in the movie were not human but in fact lesser goa'uld that Ra had forced into service.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

There is contradicting evidence. We see the movie's idea of the alien Ra. It's a pointy teethed Grey.

There's also a theory that the Guards in the movie were not human but in fact lesser goa'uld that Ra had forced into service.
      That is the very issue I have wondered about for a long time. As I've pointed out previously, the film credits list Anubis and Horus as characters. The Anubis character was the one who was in hand to hand with O'Neil at the climax of the film and Horus was killed by O'Neil with a staff weapon. I suppose the Occam's Razor argument could be used here but then you can end up on some very winding paths. If there was no specific evidence to the contrary that Ra was NOT a symbiote in the film does that mean that Ra was an alien inhabiting another alien inhabiting a young boy? It can get a little quirky if you try to meld too much of SG-1 with the film. I think that Children of the Gods did a fantastic job of splicing the two together and creating this wonderful world we all enjoy so much.
      "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

I thought that the alien Ra was maybe an Unas, we know that they were the original Goa-uld hosts. As for the Anubis and Horus guards methinks that they were human, Ra wanted the Abydos people to think he was the only god, so the Anubis and Horus guards were recruited from the human populace.

Something that bugged me about the Jaffa was that there was a standard uniform/armour for every Jaffa, regardless of who they served.

Eg. Yu's Jaffa should have had more of a chinese/sci fi armour
        Cronus's Jaffa more greek designed etc etc. But with the constraints of a television budget I can understand the limitations.

I like the little nods to the movie throughout the series, but did anyone notice that Jack's son's name in the movie is Tyler O'Neill and in SG1 it's Charlie O'Neill?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
        Last edited by GuHNDoi; 10 May 2009, 07:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post

Also, a Goa'uld is like a noncorporeal light-being rather than a snake...
          sigpic
          Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

They are showing this movie on Victoria Day, as apart of the Victoria Day Marathon on the SPACE NETWORK.

Also included in the marathon will be Indepence Day!!
            MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
            MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
            POLARIS TORONTO 2007
            CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
            GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
            VCON VANCOUVER 2010
            FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Haven't seen the movie in ages, but am a big fan of both James Spader and Kurt Russell. Probably were too expensive for the series though
              http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                They weren't Jaffa for the obvious reasons that a) there's no stomach pouch and b) the concept of a Jaffa didn't even exist until SG1 came around.

However for SG1 proof - check out Children of the Gods - O'Neill says he'd never seen anything like the Jaffa as on Abydos everyone was human.

As with everything with the Stargate movie, you have to take things with a grain of salt - yes it's canon, but you have to apply Occam's Razor to the situation. We know the Jaffa didn't exist in the movie, and we know symbiotes didn't. However, it is easy enough to say that Ra WAS a goa'uld symbiote because there's no contradicting evidence. Now unless something turns up to say that they WERE Jaffa we must simply say that they weren't, because there's no evidence that they were.

Unlike however - the location of Abydos, moving to be quite close to earth in intersteller terms, from being on the other side of the universe.
                I like to think/imagine that because Re was so paranoid and outlawed reading and writing that maybe he wouldn't of taken Jaffa there because people might question him and he would have to explain the symbotes. However this is not cannon, just an idea I though about to link the series and the movie in my head.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I agree with lots of people the Anubis helmets were awesome (I think the series let us down on this aspect. Not even Anubis had an anubis head/helmet. )

Sha'uri was awesome in the movie and the character did change a bit. I think the movie one was a little more shy and the series one was more outspoken. This change can be explained (for the sake of the linking of the series and movie) by the interaction of Earth people and knowledge she recieved about Ra, but I kind of liked the understated Sha'uri of the movie better.
                  Last edited by Lunaeclipse; 19 May 2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: Name spelling error

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                  "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                  a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I guess a lot of nice effects in the movie, are too expensive for the series.
                    http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                      They are showing this movie on Victoria Day, as apart of the Victoria Day Marathon on the SPACE NETWORK.

Also included in the marathon will be Indepence Day!!
                      Independence Day is suppose to be a reworked Stargate sequel script. If there wasn't the series, the second Stargate movie would've dealt with aliens (the Goa'uld?) coming to attack Earth. There was supposed to be a third Stargate movie, I don't know what the plot of that would've been.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                        Independence Day is suppose to be a reworked Stargate sequel script. If there wasn't the series, the second Stargate movie would've dealt with aliens (the Goa'uld?) coming to attack Earth. There was supposed to be a third Stargate movie, I don't know what the plot of that would've been.
                        It's a shame that they didn't do the movies as originally planned, as well.l
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lazlo View Post
                          I guess a lot of nice effects in the movie, are too expensive for the series.
                          Yeah. The series was still awesome for what they did. I'm just more partial to the anubis heads.

Comment

Has James Spader done anymore sci-fi since Stargate? I know he spent a lot of time with the ST crew on Boston legal, but that wasn't really sci-fi, just amusing
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lazlo View Post
                              Has James Spader done anymore sci-fi since Stargate? I know he spent a lot of time with the ST crew on Boston legal, but that wasn't really sci-fi, just amusing
                              Have you tried looking on IMDB or Wikipedia?

Comment

lol on a side note. It makes me laugh when Daniel makes the chicken action and noise. The whole time they were there did we even see a chicken? Or anything like an Earth animal?

Comment

Working...
                                X