Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: the original movie- what should have been kept as part of SG-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I wish they had kept from the movie? The original team.
    I agree! But I will say that TPTB hit the mark when they cast Michael Shanks. I think it's frightening the way he captured the James Spader Daniel Jackson. Sticking with Daniel for a second, another thing that bothered me was when Daniel started getting muscular. Having Dr. Jackson with an average build added to who he was, when he developed those guns it took away from the "bookworm" effect that we all came to know and love from James Spader all the way down to the early seasons of SG-1.
    "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Michael Benjamin View Post
      I agree! But I will say that TPTB hit the mark when they cast Michael Shanks. I think it's frightening the way he captured the James Spader Daniel Jackson. Sticking with Daniel for a second, another thing that bothered me was when Daniel started getting muscular. Having Dr. Jackson with an average build added to who he was, when he developed those guns it took away from the "bookworm" effect that we all came to know and love from James Spader all the way down to the early seasons of SG-1.
      But people do change. It's just how it is, but they could kept a little of the old Jackson. You the "bookworm" effect ;3
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Stig View Post
        Kurt Russell was too stiff for my liking. RDA is much better at bringing that human quality to the military. i can honestly not think of anything i would have kept.
        I just watch the movie for the first time and I was nervous about seeing it since there was no Sam or Teal'c. But I have to say I LOVED the film. And yes while Kurt Russell is stiff its what he is after his son just died. But if you watch towards the end of the film he starts to lighten up. With the help of Skaara. In helping Skaara and his people he is helping himself. Jack is starting to care again about people and life.

We see small signs of this as he winks at a gaurd before killing him and smiling. Laughing with the kids as he calls Dr. Jackson a Dweeb. And at the very end where he beheads another guard of Ra saying "Give my regards to King Tut a-hole!"

There is a small set up in the works on Jacks character becoming more light hearted. but all this is IMHO.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
        Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Michael Benjamin View Post
          Agree with ya there. When I watched SG1 for the first time I thought it was Spader carried over from the movie but, I do miss Kawalsky and Ferretti. I liked how there was no Carter, no female love interest for O'Neill, he was on a mission, to destroy the gate and that was it. It was simple and effective.

I just miss how our Jack would yell Kawalsky!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DSG1 View Post
            Agree with ya there. When I watched SG1 for the first time I thought it was Spader carried over from the movie but, I do miss Kawalsky and Ferretti. I liked how there was no Carter, no female love interest for O'Neill, he was on a mission, to destroy the gate and that was it. It was simple and effective.

I just miss how our Jack would yell Kawalsky!!!

It definitely worked for the movie. Jack wanted to die, and this mission gave him the perfect opportunity.

I think TPTB did a good job developing the movie into a series. I do miss the anubis and horus guard helmets of the movie and was glad to see them back in a few episodes.

But really, I have very few complaints.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

The helmets, difinetly. Those were just so cool. And the way all the chevrons moved, instead of just the top one, I wish they had kept that and still added the orange lights. Oh, and I loved the way Ra's eyes flashed a lot. That was just threatening and scary, make you fear him.

Comment

I know this usually isnt the case, but I think the series was way better than the moive. Spader did a good job, but Michael Shanks was better! Certainly Im glad the movie was made, but Im also glad the series ended up being what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1 Joe View Post
                  I know this usually isnt the case, but I think the series was way better than the moive. Spader did a good job, but Michael Shanks was better! Certainly Im glad the movie was made, but Im also glad the series ended up being what it was.
                  Tbh - I'd have liked it if the series had been more serious like the movie, and felt a little more... epic.

So many eps these days annoy me because it's essentially nothing but SG1 running around a canadian forest. Let's see EPIC!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This may only be me, but the noise the gate makes when it first activates in the movie is much better than in the series, it's like a huge sort of crack and swoosh, and i think it looks better.
                    OK thats an odd thing to mention but.......

Another thing i noticed about the film is the jaffa have no stomach pouches, and Ra's hand device is much cooler.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                      This may only be me, but the noise the gate makes when it first activates in the movie is much better than in the series, it's like a huge sort of crack and swoosh, and i think it looks better.
                      OK thats an odd thing to mention but.......

Another thing i noticed about the film is the jaffa have no stomach pouches, and Ra's hand device is much cooler.
                      That's because they *weren't* Jaffa. They were either minor goa'uld, or they were humans.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        That's because they *weren't* Jaffa. They were either minor goa'uld, or they were humans.
                        What happend to the jaffa then, or was that just an invention for the series.
                        sigpic

Comment

At the imdb.com they are credited as Horus Guard, but I believe they were Jaffa. Why wouldn't they be? I guess the name just wasn't invented yet for the movie, but still.

Comment

At the imdb.com they are credited as Horus Guard, but I believe they were Jaffa. Why wouldn't they be? I guess the name just wasn't invented yet for the movie, but still.
                            If you look a little more at imdb.com you will notice that Anubis and Horus were in the film and that Jack O'Neil killed them both. Because of this I have wondered if Anubis and Horus were the same type of alien as Ra or if they were just humans granted special authority to serve in Ra's inner circle. I don't think they were Jaffa because in several scenes of the film their (very toned) abs were visible and there were no pouch marks. However I think this may be off mark to debate because the film indicated that Ra was some type of a "grey" alien much in the same vein as the Asgard and not serpent-like creatures we see in SG-1.
                            "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                              What happend to the jaffa then, or was that just an invention for the series.
                              Jaffa were likely an invention for the series as they didn't appear in the movie.

There were more than one Horus and Anubis guard and so you could just assume they were human, brainwashed slaves serving as Ra's guards.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
                                They weren't Jaffa for the obvious reasons that a) there's no stomach pouch and b) the concept of a Jaffa didn't even exist until SG1 came around.

However for SG1 proof - check out Children of the Gods - O'Neill says he'd never seen anything like the Jaffa as on Abydos everyone was human.

As with everything with the Stargate movie, you have to take things with a grain of salt - yes it's canon, but you have to apply Occam's Razor to the situation. We know the Jaffa didn't exist in the movie, and we know symbiotes didn't. However, it is easy enough to say that Ra WAS a goa'uld symbiote because there's no contradicting evidence. Now unless something turns up to say that they WERE Jaffa we must simply say that they weren't, because there's no evidence that they were.

Unlike however - the location of Abydos, moving to be quite close to earth in intersteller terms, from being on the other side of the universe.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X