Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: the original movie- what should have been kept as part of SG-1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think most of the Ra descendants looked like they could be related to the original Ra, Jaye Davidson. They didn't even look Eastern.
    Q: Up all night on forums again?
    A: "Indeed!" Teal'C Stargate: SG-1

Comment

well im not sure i would have changed anything, but the biggest flaw to me was the entire race of the gould, they are completely different than what they are shown to be in the movie
      THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

Originally posted by rramarr View Post
        I don't think most of the Ra descendants looked like they could be related to the original Ra, Jaye Davidson. They didn't even look Eastern.
        I'm not sure what you are getting at. What descendants? The Goa'uld all look the same and their hosts aren't related at all, so why would they look like they were? And what does it have to do with Eastern look?

Anyway, I agree with VSS and Browncoat1984, I wish they kept Sha're's portrayal from the movie, it was much more interesting and fitting for Daniel.
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
          I definitely miss the transforming headpieces that Ra's Jaffa wore. That was my favorite effect from the movie. They tried to recreate it with a practical effect: Apophis's snake helmets that actually opened up. It was a weird idea and didn't really work. At least they tried.
          I would have loved to see it if other Jaffa had those special helmets, but imo they were just for Ra's warriors since he was the supreme system lord.

Comment

I liked it how the Guauld were ****in evil, not just bad guys but dudes you wouldnt wanna mess with

but i think the way theyve done it in the seasons fits them better

cant really say im much of a fan of the movie

Comment

I liked the more alien-like Ra in the movie, before his ship exploded.

Comment

It always bothered me that in the series Richard Andersen wore the type of baseball cap (for lack of a better term) that Daniel wore in the film. Maybe I'm a little crazy but it always drove me up the wall to see Richard Andersen walking around with the baseball cap and Daniel with the unibrim hat. Also, slightly off topic maybe, but while it was carried through into the series early on, I wish TPTB would have stayed with the full out military off-world garb for SG-1. Look back at the first season and you'll see what I mean. Helmets, vests, packs, and the rest all added to the effect. Remember all the stuff the team carried with them on the original mission? Remember all the stuff O'Neill and Kawalsky brought with them to Chulak (tents and all)? It always bothered me that towards the end we get SG-1 going off-world with little more than a tigh black sleeveless number and a P90. I have this same issue with the film. Kurt Russell fighting Anubis in his form fitting black shirt always made me cringe. If SG-1 is a millitary recon team I think it adds to the effect if they dressed the part. Anyway that what I came up with off the top of my head.
                "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Michael Benjamin View Post
                  It always bothered me that in the series Richard Andersen wore the type of baseball cap (for lack of a better term) that Daniel wore in the film. Maybe I'm a little crazy but it always drove me up the wall to see Richard Andersen walking around with the baseball cap and Daniel with the unibrim hat. Also, slightly off topic maybe, but while it was carried through into the series early on, I wish TPTB would have stayed with the full out military off-world garb for SG-1. Look back at the first season and you'll see what I mean. Helmets, vests, packs, and the rest all added to the effect. Remember all the stuff the team carried with them on the original mission? Remember all the stuff O'Neill and Kawalsky brought with them to Chulak (tents and all)? It always bothered me that towards the end we get SG-1 going off-world with little more than a tigh black sleeveless number and a P90. I have this same issue with the film. Kurt Russell fighting Anubis in his form fitting black shirt always made me cringe. If SG-1 is a millitary recon team I think it adds to the effect if they dressed the part. Anyway that what I came up with off the top of my head.
                  I never thought about that but it's a good point
                  sigpic

Comment

I've had this movie for the past 4 months but I wanted to finish all ten season of SG1 before I saw it (which I just did). This movie exceeded my expectations by ten fold! It was really really awesome and the CGI was cool. When the helmets on the "jaffa" came down, I was like "whoa" I was expecting something a lot less CGI-ish. The one thing that boggles me is I find it hard to think that when the movie was made, the creators only meant for the Stargate to travel from Earth to Abydos -- I find that so strange.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                    MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine View Post
                      The Anubis helmets. It would have been great if some of Anubis' jaffa wore them. Other than that I can't think of anything.
                      I second that! Especially when Anubis came back into the fold in SG-1. It would have been awesome to see the jackal head once more on his Jaffa.

That, and more of Abydos than what we saw in the series.
                      sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

I agree with the anubis helmets, but overall, I think things were fine. There was a fair gap between the original movie and the tv series, and to me the transition was handled well. I just saw the original movie not long ago, and not much else jumps to mind, although the Ga'ould were more alien like in their demeanor in the original movie, and I suppose that could have been preserved as well.
                        ---------------------
                        sigpic
                        Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Michael Benjamin View Post
                          I missed the MALP, which also originated in the movie. Even if they didn't want to film it going through the gate every time, they needed to have it somewhere in the vicinity on the other side. Which they occasionally did, but mostly they just quit doing that, as well. But the MALP was essential. They never knew what they'd be gating into.

But really, I'd have been okay with the lack of military gear if they'd just kept up the military attitude.

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                          I agree with the anubis helmets, but overall, I think things were fine. There was a fair gap between the original movie and the tv series, and to me the transition was handled well. I just saw the original movie not long ago, and not much else jumps to mind, although the Ga'ould were more alien like in their demeanor in the original movie, and I suppose that could have been preserved as well.
                          What could be more alien than a snake? The original goa'uld looked like more like Thor, but at least it had a head and eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Ksya View Post
                            I think the actors in the movie did a great job. James Spader was great, Kurt Rusel was awesome, just...the hair... needs work.
                            Kurt Russell was too stiff for my liking. RDA is much better at bringing that human quality to the military. i can honestly not think of anything i would have kept.
                            Some say that he has only one ear.
                            And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                            All we know is he's called
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              I missed the MALP, which also originated in the movie. Even if they didn't want to film it going through the gate every time, they needed to have it somewhere in the vicinity on the other side. Which they occasionally did, but mostly they just quit doing that, as well. But the MALP was essential. They never knew what they'd be gating into.

But really, I'd have been okay with the lack of military gear if they'd just kept up the military attitude.

What could be more alien than a snake? The original goa'uld looked like more like Thor, but at least it had a head and eyes!
                              Your mention of the military attitude is definitely interesting.

I'm not sure I agree about the gear, but I agree on the attitude stuff.

The monent SG1 started treating walking through the gate like going for a trip down to the local store was when things went wrong. It's potentially hostile territory, and far more precautionary measures need to be taken. For some reason I think theres a small and brief ressurgence of the military attitude in S9&10 but by and large, I think Landry is responsible for that, and I appreciate it.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

What I wish they had kept from the movie? The original team.

Comment

Working...
                                X