Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a European viewer (previously living in the UK but now on the mainland), I've never - and would never - pay to watch something shown for free on UK television.

For the last... god knows how long, I've been downloading the HDTV rips of SG1 and Atlantis, usually in 720p, along with the rest of the TV I watch since none of the local stuff is in English; and even if it was, I wouldn't be able to watch the current season until at LEAST 18 months after it aired in the States / Canada.

Frankly, I think paying £15+ for a DVD is ridiculous, especially considering how if it had a cinematic release you'd pay £4 to watch it on a 50 foot screen, and DVD quality is piss-poor at a resolution of only 720x480.

I'll be downloading the DVDRip when it comes out, and probably the HDRip when that comes out as well. If MGM (or any movie production company) wants me to purchase their films, they'll start releasing HD (read, 720p or 1080p) movies for < £5.

Until then, they can swivel as far as I'm concerned lol.

Comment

Originally posted by davidiwharper View Post
      There is an explanation for the later success of Star Trek on the DVD extras for the early Trek movies.

Basically, MGM was looking for something - anything - to cash in on the Star Wars phenomenon. TOS episodes were still doing well in re-runs, so they decided to fund a full Trek movie. (Interesting aside: At the time William Shatner was destitute and living in a trailer park.)

IMHO ST:TMP wasn't a great movie at all, but it did very well at the box office for some reason so they decided to make a second movie. And of course, The Wrath of Khan was fantastic so the franchise continued.

Does this mean that a full Stargate movie, probably Continuum style rather than AoT, would do well as a full box office release? I think that one of the reasons Enterprise was cancelled was that Trek was over-saturating the market, what with 14 seasons of TV (DS9 and Voyager) plus four movies all within the preceding 10 years or so. (Mind you, Seasons 1 & 2 of Ent weren't crash hot, IMHO.) Stargate isn't in quite the same position, but still, I can see why TPTB didn't set their hearts on a full theatrical release. Perhaps if the DVD movies do well they would consider a theatrical release for a third movie.
      I belive I heard a while back that the guy who made the Original Film (the one shich started it all) That he was going to make 2 more (not using the TV shows timeline) there4 if SG-1 is realised in the cinemas, it MAY. cause some confusion to fans of the film and not the TV series, and get mixed up with an seperate sequals to the original film being made.
      Thats why I think they are DVD/TV films.
      to avoid any future mix ups.
      sigpic
      Banner Made By Me for Me
      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        Ok, the Ark of Truth is leaked, but this wasn't the final version, so it will be better. I hope every fan will buy the DVD instead of downloading this pirate version. Please, support the next movies that you will have an original SG DVD in March. Thanks.
        What will be better? The visuals sure, but not the PLOT or the character moments. Will the idiotic plot mishaps magically disappear in the finished product? Nope, I don't think so. So please guys don't be idiots, buy it only if you find it entertaining, not just to support a franchise. Say you like a certain brand of cereals and the producers decide to switch the production to another flavor will you continue to buy it even if you don't like it in the vane hope that they'll come around and the next batch will be better...
        SO DON'T BUY THE MOVIES TO SUPPORT THE FRANCHISE, BUY IT BECAUSE YOU LOVE THEM

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
          I belive I heard a while back that the guy who made the Original Film (the one shich started it all) That he was going to make 2 more (not using the TV shows timeline) there4 if SG-1 is realised in the cinemas, it MAY. cause some confusion to fans of the film and not the TV series, and get mixed up with an seperate sequals to the original film being made.
          Thats why I think they are DVD/TV films.
          to avoid any future mix ups.
          Yeah, he's talking about it at least once a year and nothing happens. I don't believe in Devlin's sequels, personally.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rocky456;7482707

Stargate SG-1 deserves so much better, at least they're leaving one hell of a legacy behind. Stargate SG-1 will always be remembered, and it'll always be a legend in the Sci-fi world, and not just to a lot of Sci-fi fans, but the so many people the show inspired to go places and do things, like join the airforce, become Scientists and anthropologists. But not just because of the show itself, but more importantly the very brilliant, smart and talented cast. Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Don S. Davis, and Ben Browder. Not bad for a TV that was originally supposed to go 2 years. Indeed.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. Two wonderful actors who added a great deal to the show.

Oh and I will be buying AOT in fact I have already pre ordered two copies.
            sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
              I HOPE! the true fans who downloaded it will still buy the DVD! Not only because you are a fan and its your dutie to help the sakes of the DVd so they can make more films, but also for the better qualities and extras!
              Are you suggesting that if someone watched the leaked version and disliked it, they are still obliged to shell out for a DVD that they do not want?

Frankly, what I've heard of the movie has put me off buying it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
                What will be better? The visuals sure, but not the PLOT or the character moments. Will the idiotic plot mishaps magically disappear in the finished product? Nope, I don't think so. So please guys don't be idiots, buy it only if you find it entertaining, not just to support a franchise. Say you like a certain brand of cereals and the producers decide to switch the production to another flavor will you continue to buy it even if you don't like it in the vane hope that they'll come around and the next batch will be better...
                Very well said! Nobody should feel obliged to buy the movie if they don't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                  Really? Can I ask what? I really liked Carter in this, which was a huge shock to me. I was watching in stunned disbelief as I found myself warming to her as the film went on. I know of people on other forums and LJ that had no intention of buying this movie but have been swayed because of all of the positive things they have heard about it.

I am really curious what an obvious Carter fan like yourself could have heard that has put them off this one, as she was very good and had a large part.

Or is it the general theme of the movie you don't like?
                  sigpic

Comment

ReganX- can ya answer that in PMs rather than in here... I don't want to add this thread ot the list of threads contaminated with leaked copy info.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by sg1lostatlantis View Post
                      ReganX- can ya answer that in PMs rather than in here... I don't want to add this thread ot the list of threads contaminated with leaked copy info.

Sorry about that, I didn't think. A general answer would do, it doesn't have to contain spoilers.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                        Sorry about that, I didn't think. A general answer would do, it doesn't have to contain spoilers.
                        Spoiler:
                        Frankly, I dislike the Bori storyline, and I dislike Jackson more. It is my understanding that both feature heavily in AoT - Strike One (really the only strike it needed).

Deus Ex Machina through Morgan showing up to save the day and fight Adria. Predictable and already used with Oma and Anubis - Strike Two.

Cambo the hero. Boring. - Strike Three.

It seems to be a film that those who enjoyed Seasons Nine and Ten will enjoy. I'm not one of them so I don't see the point in wasting money and shelf space on the DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                          Being a European viewer (previously living in the UK but now on the mainland), I've never - and would never - pay to watch something shown for free on UK television.

For the last... god knows how long, I've been downloading the HDTV rips of SG1 and Atlantis, usually in 720p, along with the rest of the TV I watch since none of the local stuff is in English; and even if it was, I wouldn't be able to watch the current season until at LEAST 18 months after it aired in the States / Canada.

Frankly, I think paying £15+ for a DVD is ridiculous, especially considering how if it had a cinematic release you'd pay £4 to watch it on a 50 foot screen, and DVD quality is piss-poor at a resolution of only 720x480.

I'll be downloading the DVDRip when it comes out, and probably the HDRip when that comes out as well. If MGM (or any movie production company) wants me to purchase their films, they'll start releasing HD (read, 720p or 1080p) movies for < £5.

Until then, they can swivel as far as I'm concerned lol.
                          You're a thief, none of that justifies stealing. If something is worth keeping then it's worth buying, you've got no right to have those no matter what price they're asking.

Comment

Are you suggesting that if someone watched the leaked version and disliked it, they are still obliged to shell out for a DVD that they do not want?

Judging the movie by yourself, WITHOUT listening to EITHER positive or negative reviews from various parts of the audience is the best solution. I believe you have enough brain cells to make your own opinion about the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
                              No, if you love the movies then buy them because you love them, if you don't, buy them if you still want more. The cereal analogy falls flat on it's arse, we can all agree that there have been crap Stargate episodes in the past, but that doesn't mean we all decided to stop watching, and because we haven't there have been great one's made since.

Comment

If they watched it? Yes. Regardless of whether they liked it or not, entertainment is not free. It is a service provided in exchange for money. If you watch it, you take advantage of that service and you owe MGM at least the dollar amount equivalent to the price of a rental.
                                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Working...
                                X