X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    yeah, it is too bad.

poor lee, reduced to joke of the week

maybe they got the names confused and meant to write felger?
    You know, I wouldn't have minded Lee's mistake when he sent Daniel out of phase so much, if it weren't for the Honey I Shrunk the Kids moment earlier.

Sending Daniel out of phase was an accident based on research into the problem and some understanding of what had happened. It wasn't an out of the blue thing. It wouldn't have seemed so stupid to me, if they hadn't already played him up as an idiot who watches too many kids movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      Wouldn't that require some mathematical tricks? Right now, I couldn't tell you where the first half of the letters in the post ends and the second half begins without taking the time to count all the letters, divide by 2, and then count where the half mark is. And, then, doing that again to get the half of that. I like to think that it's not just because I'm a dunce at numbers, that other people wouldn't automatically know as well.

Plus, they'd still have to go through the whole page to find each corresponding letter to know where it was at all (they wouldn't know automatically), then jump through the mathematical hoops. Seems to me that would be more work than going through each letter.

(Any reason you didn't post this in the episode thread?)
      Here's how I would have done it: Put the book out on the table. "Is the letter on the first page, or second? Is the letter on the top half of the page, or bottom? A couple of quick questions to narrow it down so he wouldn't have to point to every letter, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by FerCryinOutLoud!
        I'm surprised at the somewhat positive reviews. I figured a lot of people would have hated this episode mainly because of Mitchel and his arrogant, "I don't have to follow orders and I know everything," attitude. I defend Mitchel most of the time, but this time i really found him annoying. I really hope their going to acknowledge the way he's been acting lately seeing as how the other team members seem to hint more and more at their distaste for his attitude. I think that if they do acknowledge it... this could be good Mitchel character development and the writers won't write him so obnoxious anymore and a little more serious.
        I've gotten to the point that if Mitchell only annoys me for half the episode, it's a good one for me. And I liked everything else so much, that Maverick!Mitchell's grandstanding wasn't enough to make me dislike the episode.

I do have some hope that this is going to be addressed, just because the others are starting to show more and more annoyance at his behavior. And unless Daniel and Sam lied to Landry, he's going to know about the going off unauthorized like that as well.

Comment

Stargate is getting old.

1.Reusing storylines, if you can't rip one off, rip off a few and put them in the same episode.
          2. Ori must have all the same tech as the Ancients did, doesn't matter that the Ancients left 50Mln years ago. They will have no original tech at all. Even their resurection-altered people will look like zombies too.
          3. The use of deus ex machina every season.

S6 - Eye of Ra in Full Circle(crappy ep) - Ancient(?)

S7 - Magic healing cube, Lost City(crappy eps btw)

S8 - Repository(don't mind this), Dakara weapon(Biggest deus ex machina)

S9 - Anti-Ascended weapon. The Ascended being on a higher plane and that they can destroy pretty much anything on this plane by thinking it doesn't matter since the little uberweapon is on a planet(think and the planet goes boom) and that it's on a lower plane

Same goes for all military decisions. 'Hello lets forget everything we learned the last 5,000 years of organized warfare and just sit there and ponder while getting shot'

It's like TPTB dumbs down the characters so they have to talk and explain everything so that the stupid american people which appearently don't understand anything can understand the importance of making a desicion.

Instead of making the audience understand(which they would without all the stupified talk) they make the characters look like 4-yo's at the playground.

Drop all the reusing of stories, deus ex machina and the stupification of both Earth, their allies and most definately their enemies. And if they stopped writing Michell as if he were(or is it was in this sentence, i'll never learn when to use he/she/it and were) on drugs that'd be nice too.

Better yet, give one of the shows to JMS, and if he doesn't want it, RHW.

RCC+BW = it's ok.
          Just RCC or BW = DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER.

Rant over... for now.
          Last edited by aAnubiSs; 25 February 2006, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Good character interactions in this episode. Yay! I especially loved Sam and Daniel. Those 2 characters are great together (non-shippy) and I wish we'd see more of them. And I didn't even hate Mitchell. He did go off half cocked, but he was slightly more restrained than some times.

Comment

I rather liked this one. Nothing deep, but I enjoyed the character interactions and both the A and B stories kept my attention. Good use of support characters in both. It DID move a little slowly at times but otherwise it was very pleasant.

*Mitchell. I thought he was fine in this one. I don't mind him being headstrong and passionate about wanting to help his friend. As far as I could tell he wasn't endangering anyone but himself by rushing off to try and help Teal'c. (So far "Off The Grid" was the only episode where he really, really annoyed me). SG-1 has always been passionate about trying to help each other. I could certainly see Jack not wanting to sit around the base "out of phase" when there was any possibility he might be able to help Teal'c.

*Sam was great (again) in this one. I've enjoyed her as much this year as I ever have and it was fun to see her working with Daniel to figure out the problem. Just like the good old days - they really have a nice sibling vibe to them.

*Daniel - gosh i really liked him in this one as well. Nice to see him translating and working thru the puzzle to solve the problem. Very cute moment when he joined Sam in the alternate dimension. *shrug*

*Dr. Lee HAS maybe strayed too far to the "comic relief" side I think but guess it doesn't bother me that much.

*Teal'c was great. It's interesting that, imo, Mitchell's personality seems to play off his very well. Like others I think the two-handed gun thing is getting a little old. Give me a good long staff weapon anyday.

So looks like we're moving towards the big finale. The preview looked interesting - in no small part because
              Spoiler:
              it looks like we're getting a serious Vala back. If they can keep the depth for Vala that they momentarily touched on with TPTB I'll be a happy camper.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by darman
                The episode was decent, but everything's becoming predictable on Stargate now. A lot of people are saying that they feel that the show has lost its appeal from the earlier seasons. I think the problem is that they keep using the same formula on their story development (if they go past season ten I think MGM should bring in a new creative team). I also think that all the characters are becoming too likable for their own good. I remember thinking in the earlier seasons that Jack sometimes was an ignorant ass, but then he would come around and redeem himself.

Things I feel TPTB need to think about:

Tone down Mitchell. His overenthusiastic attitude towards life threatning situations is just making the storyline less believable. The mocking of the bad guys is also getting old, seems the writers lost the meaning of word subtle somewhere along the way.

Make recurring characters useful to the storyline. Bill Dow's character in this episode was a joke. I like that character and the humor that it brings to the show, but they just overdid it. Believing that someone who makes that many mistakes is employed in such important organization is ridiculous.

Sorry about the rant, but I just wanted to throw some thoughts out there.
                I tend to agree with you. I prefer the old formula -- action/adventure with a little humor thrown in. Now all we seem to get is slapstick with a thready plot. And it's not like TBTB can't do SG-1 like they used to -- I'm seeing the old formula on Atlantis.

Comment

I really liked Mitchell in this ep. It was just a notch toned down from OTG, but that made a big difference. He was still energetic and funny. I didn't see any grandstanding at all. His plan to go help Teal'c made a lot of sense -- he was gathering intel. And it's not like he could do much sitting on his hands at SGC anyway. And as it turns out, he was able to help.

ETA: The humor on SG-1 is what makes it stand out from other scifi shows, imo. For straight drama, BSG does it soooo much better that SG-1 comes across as shallow. But when it sticks to being a fun action-adventure show with a lot of humor, it really shines. This ep was a good example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by FerCryinOutLoud!
                    I'm surprised at the somewhat positive reviews. I figured a lot of people would have hated this episode mainly because of Mitchel and his arrogant, "I don't have to follow orders and I know everything," attitude. I defend Mitchel most of the time, but this time i really found him annoying. I really hope their going to acknowledge the way he's been acting lately seeing as how the other team members seem to hint more and more at their distaste for his attitude. I think that if they do acknowledge it... this could be good Mitchel character development and the writers won't write him so obnoxious anymore and a little more serious.
                    I'm definately not speaking for anyone on this board, but from my perspective and how I felt about it is, that it looks like many enjoyed the Sam and Daniel aspect of the show. They enjoyed that both Sam and Daniel reverted back to their old selves and were the science twins agains. But I'm also getting from most of the posts, that even though Mitchell wasn't as "annoying" as in other episodes, he was still his same self with being stupid and going off world while he was phased out to be with Teal'c. I even think Teal'c's response to seeing him showed that even he thought he was stupid....lol.

No, for me, Mitchell is lost. I'm not sure they can even fix him after all this time. Their mistake was filming the second half during the off period instead of like most shows where they film only a few weeks before air date. If they had done that, they would have seen fan reaction and could have fixed it before the season ended. Instead they kept Mitchell as this loud, abnoxious, wise cracking, go-in-think-later hero and thought it would endere to the fans and it backfired. Now it's too late and they are going to keep him that way and shove him down our throats and tell us he's great and we love him and bow down to the leader of SG1. That's my take on it.

Man, I can't believe I just wrote all that even though I really liked this episode...lol. But unfortunately, that's how I feel about Mitchell. He's the one factor that ruins a good episode for me.

Comment

Originally posted by keppiezbt
                      whats the deal with this thing that kills ascended beings? how does that work
                      That somehow reminds me of something 'Q' said to Janeway in an Star Trek Voyager episode ..... the one with the war within the Q-Continuum.
                      "U would be suprised how innovative immotals can be if the final goal is to develop weapons to kill another immortal "

Comment

I was surprised how much I enjoyed last nights episode! Probably cause I expected nothing from it, but I thought it was pretty decent.
                        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                          Aw, nuts. Now I gotta wait until next week to see it again.
                          Not necessarily. Go to www.scifi.com/stargate and watch the preview there

Comment

I liked this one, SG3 all carrying G36s was cool, wife had a good laugh at the Brown boots and Olive Drab uniforms women lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                              Because I love Daniel more than I dislike what the show is turning into.
                              Dana Jeanne
                              Aren't you exagerating a little bit? It was good episode IMO.

Comment

was an enjoyable ep
                                loved Dr. Lee
                                loved Landry "There is no dimension you can hide"
                                didn't like the wipeout of the Sodan, at least Haikon survived

Comment

Working...
                                X