No announcement yet.

Arthur's Mantle (918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty good as a stand alone episode, but its a bit convienient and cheap that Merlin was working on a weapon specifically designed to kill Ascended beings. Couldn't they come up with anything more creative for a solution to the Ori other than yet another magic Ancient weapon? Also I love how many incredible technological feats the Ancients seem to have left behind for us here in Milky Way Galaxy, yet Atlantis, which was supposed to be the crown jewel of their civilization is pure crap. Other than the shields and transport closets and drone weapon, the city itself has proven to be less technologically special and advanced than say New York City.

I didnt like the little gag with Dr. Lee with the miniturization idea. It was out of character for Lee. Lee is usually shown in a comedic situation or as a bit of comic relief but they have always shown him as a very competent, brilliant scientist as well and it was just so ridiculous it didnt work for me.

Mitchells and Teal'c banter at the end was very out of character and innappropriate. In a normal situation that they defeated a enemy yes it would have been an amusing way to end the show, but the Sodan have been completely wiped out regardless of whether they succeeded in escaping and Mitchell got to be really good friends with the Sodan in general and the Zombie guy in particular. They should have been more serious andintrospective at the end.

Also, it was cool the first 2 times Teal'c did the double P90 thing, but now its getting old Yeah yeah we get it, Teal'c is big and bad and needs more than a single puny P90. They need to give Teal'c his own unique powerful weapon since he doesnt carry a staff any more. He looks really stupid when he needs to use one of his hands and has to hold both in the same hand and its overlly cliche for him to always be weilding two.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      yeah, dr lee used to be a good backup to sam.

sadly he seems to be reduced to comic relief

sacrifice the character for a cheap laugh
      It seems to me that lately SG1 is turning more comic than serious. Except for the few one liners from Jack and a small reaction from Sam, that's all there was. Now it's all the characters. Someone mentioned earlier that the faces or gestures that Daniel made in this episode were out of character for him...it was like he was in his pissy mood with Vala in some scenes. I love Sam, but she too has taken to quipping off one liners.

As much as I like the out of phase sequence, they did seem glib about their whole scenario. Not like in the old days when there was real concern for each other.

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones

Overall it was a great episode. The whole Merlin working out of phase to develop a weapon against the Ancients is interesting. Though I'm a huge Arthurian fan and Merlin being my favorite character (besides Lancelot) and I don't want him to be a bad guy in this...so I'm a little worried. I mean, why would he want to destroy the Ancients? I really don't understand that part. But it is convenient that there is a weapon now to help them destroy the Ori.
        Part of Daniel's translation stated that Merlin was aware of the Ori and saw them as a threat, and was frustrated with the...oh whatever we call the ascended beings in this galaxy's refusal to do anything about the threat. So he descended to make a weapon to be used against the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by Weir'sRedShirt
          What was it in, "Resurrection", I think, where I really liked him. He was funny, but the kind of funny you expected from Stargate, not this new "hilarious" the-fumbling-scientist kind of funny. *disappointed*
          yeah, it is too bad.

poor lee, reduced to joke of the week

maybe they got the names confused and meant to write felger?
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It seems to me that lately SG1 is turning more comic than serious. Except for the few one liners from Jack and a small reaction from Sam, that's all there was. Now it's all the characters. Someone mentioned earlier that the faces or gestures that Daniel made in this episode were out of character for him...it was like he was in his pissy mood with Vala in some scenes. I love Sam, but she too has taken to quipping off one liners.

As much as I like the out of phase sequence, they did seem glib about their whole scenario. Not like in the old days when there was real concern for each other.
            yeah. the plots are so thin and rife with convenient bits that you really can't take them seriously. cause if you do you just spend all your time noticing how tossed together and sloppy they are

and i second the person, what the heck was sg12 doing in desert boots? and where the heck did these elbow and knee pads come from? were they expecting some roller hockey with the sodan or something?
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
              regardless of whether they succeeded in escaping and Mitchell got to be really good friends with the Sodan in general and the Zombie guy in particular. They should have been more serious andintrospective at the end.
              If I'm not mistaken, the "zombie guy" wasn't the one Mitchell befriended in "Babylon". It was "zombie guy's" brother. I think "zombie guy" was the one taken to the SGC. The one that tried to kill Mitchell in "Babylon". At least I sure think it is.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                Part of Daniel's translation stated that Merlin was aware of the Ori and saw them as a threat, and was frustrated with the...oh whatever we call the ascended beings in this galaxy's refusal to do anything about the threat. So he descended to make a weapon to be used against the Ori.
                Ok...I must have missed that. You know, with Daniel speaking so fast and all....lol. Seriously, I'll have to watch it again to catch the things I missed.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok...I must have missed that. You know, with Daniel speaking so fast and all....lol. Seriously, I'll have to watch it again to catch the things I missed.

Thanks!
                  Heck, I usually watch them two or three times within a few days anyways. Obsessive, maybe. But that's just me.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

This was a great episode. I loved the Volnek flash back when Hikon filling in Teal'c on what happened to Volnek and the tribe. I wonder if the Ori warriors will be evil looking killing machines like Volnek was in this episode.
                    Last edited by JUNIOR; 24 February 2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Hmm...pretty good episode as far as season nine goes. But it also has a 'been there, done that' feel to it. They took a good premise and executed it in the dryest, most uninspired way imagineable.

At this point, I think I'm only watching the new Stargates for the same reason I watched Voyager and Enterprise. Franchise loyalty.

But they'd better start coming up with more original writing, because Star Trek stole all the patience I had with their crappy series.

And as far as I'm concerned, Moebius is Stargate's 'All Good Things'. The true ending to the series. And post-Anderson Stargate still has a chance to convince me otherwise -- if they bounce back real soon.

Comment

The other thing that bugged me, why did he go off world? To what purpose would that have served? He was out of phase FCOL and Sam was trying to fix it, what if the device didn't work over light years? They needed to stick together. Again, Mitchell went off on his own to play the hero. No suprise their. Oh...and did he get to play the hero? No, it was Teal'c who had to save is a**.
                        saved his a$$ AGAIN! after he felt the need to run off by himself AGAIN.

Loved Sam and Daniel in this one. I really loved how they reacted when they finally saw each other. I also loved how they worked together with Dr. Lee in the background....gotta love him. Sam's expression when Walter didn't know what to do was priceless too. She is so awesome these days. I guess I do see Jack in her now, but I don't mind it. It seems to fit.
                        I liked that part the best of the whole ep - it was cute the way they reacted and when Carter said to Daniel that it would go faster now that he was "here" both their expressions were spot on -- that is what is missing from the BIG 3 and from the season in general.

Comment

Someone mentioned earlier that the faces or gestures that Daniel made in this episode were out of character for him...it was like he was in his pissy mood with Vala in some scenes.
                          That was me. At least, I mentioned it, but maybe someone else did as well. But, I only noticed pissiness with Dr. Lee messing things up.

Okay, while there were definite flaws in his idea, and a lot of coincidences would have to fall into place for it to work, I think Mitchell's idea to take advantage of his out of phaseness to gather intel (which was one thing he could do) wasn't such a bad idea. Like I said, definite flaws (relaying the info) and coincidences (if there was info that could help rescue Teal'c, then someone would have had to fix the out of phase problem at the right moment to tell). And, while it was extremely impulsive idea, and the whole rushing off without considering things like I mentioned wasn't the smartest thing, I don't get a "need to play hero" thing, myself. I get a "hears someone Mitchell respects and is beginning to care about is in trouble, and he can't handle just sitting around. He needs to feel like he's doing something." The feelings behind the actions (my interpretation of them, anyway) are ones that I don't think are bad.
                          Last edited by Dani347; 24 February 2006, 08:12 PM.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Just finished watching the second showing of the show.

If you can overlook the few storyline flaws, it was a really good ep. A lot more like the older seasons with the subtle humor, a sprinkling of action and suspense. It seems like the loose arcs are being tied together.

Mitchell's character is still see saw-ie. Got what he deserved in one scene.

I am not a Vala fan but can't wait to see what next week's ep has to bring as the season finale approaches.
                            A Symbiote

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                              That was me. At least, I mentioned it, but maybe someone else did as well. But, I only noticed pissiness with Dr. Lee messing things up.
                              Can you blame him?
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                                Heck, I usually watch them two or three times within a few days anyways. Obsessive, maybe. But that's just me.
                                Depending on the episode, I do too. I watched the first few episodes of season 9 a few times and I did RE and Ethon. RE, Ethon and AM are the one's I liked in the second half...so I'll watch them again. I can leave the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X