No announcement yet.

Arthur's Mantle (918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. I'd probably go so far as to say it's my favorite of the season thus far (although the leather wear in Off the Grid really gives that ep some extra oomph in the favorite race. Yes I'm shallow). I really really love it when they give us the opportunity of seeing Daniel and Sam work together but, sadly, we get to see it so rarely. They have such a wonderful sibling vibe going and they play so very well off of each other. Plus it's nice having the two incredibly smart people together so we can be spared the whole "explain like you would to a two year old" type thing.

I still think that Cam is a bit too manic at times. When Farscape was on I figured that crazy kidlike aspect was part of the Crichton character and it worked wonderfully but now I'm thinking it's part of Ben's acting style and I think it would work best for the character if it was toned down just a smidge. That said, I like him more and more each episode. Him and Teal'c are a riot and a half.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      That was me. At least, I mentioned it, but maybe someone else did as well. But, I only noticed pissiness with Dr. Lee messing things up.
      Yeah, I think it was you and I read another comment on another board, so I probably confused the two...but I agree with you both!....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory

Another bit of negativity: the Sodon storyline seemed to be thrown away a bit too quickly. However, I guess the show might be going in another direction yet again so maybe there is just no future in the Sodon, so why not burn it here.
        I agree with you - felt the Sodon could been great allies.
        A Symbiote

Comment

Originally posted by Mesenet
          Yeah, it does suck. I really was coming to like them. However, it just goes to show that not even this group of honored Jaffa could survive the power of the Ori. They didn't even stand much of a chance.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Mesenet
            But should we write the Sodon off completely after this episode? ZombieSodon took out one village, but is that the only village on the entire planet? Since the Sodon have been around for centuries, I would think they would have colonized many places on their world and there may still be others in addition to Lord Haikon. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Comment

You know, back when Joe was answering questions on the board, I asked if we'd get a chance to see more of Daniel using his unique skills to help solve problems. I mean, Daniel has always fired guns when necessary, but I missed when he did other things besides that. That's why I liked Avalon so much. And, I thought this was a nice episode for that. Daniel pouring through books, lecturing, translating Ancient. Not just Daniel being instrumental, but Daniel being instrumental in a very Daniel like way.

And, shallow, he kept his glasses on the whole time
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by NotAscended
                But should we write the Sodon off completely after this episode? ZombieSodon took out one village, but is that the only village on the entire planet? Since the Sodon have been around for centuries, I would think they would have colonized many places on their world and there may still be others in addition to Lord Haikon. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
                Maybe we will get attacked in mass by SodanZombies.... could be the Ori's ace in the hole..... SodanZombies with bugs coming out of their mouths and eating people.... Sounds like a Skiffy show to me
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  SodanZombies with bugs coming out of their mouths and eathing people

Okay, anyone have a projectile vomitting smiley? I think I need one.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

You know, back when Joe was answering questions on the board, I asked if we'd get a chance to see more of Daniel using his unique skills to help solve problems. I mean, Daniel has always fired guns when necessary, but I missed when he did other things besides that. That's why I liked Avalon so much. And, I thought this was a nice episode for that. Daniel pouring through books, lecturing, translating Ancient. Not just Daniel being instrumental, but Daniel being instrumental in a very Daniel like way.

And, shallow, he kept his glasses on the whole time
                    Yeah, I agree. I think over the last year or so we got too much Action Jackson so it's nice to see him revert back to what he really is...an archeologist. Don't get me wrong, after 9 years of going through the gate, facing countless enemies and dying more times then a freakin cat, the guy is going to harden and become a tough guy. (I edited that sentence...didn't like the words I originally used, just didn't fit).

But yeah, it is nice to see him in the books and lecturing again. I sometimes miss the young, naive Daniel

Comment

I loved the episode, although I was sad to hear about Cam's buddy getting killed by his own brother. I liked that character. Also very sad, that just when it seems we've found a new friend (the Sodan) they get wiped out. Sheesh... when does it end? Well... since the planet is pretty much uninhabited now, I suppose it would make a great planet to put a base on. It would be harder to attack, just as the Sodan used it. They might also be able to benefit from some of the ancient technology and information still there. Of course, if that is the writers actually do that... I guess we'll see.

As to how Merlin knew that the Ori might need defeating... I have only one word: Janus. I think it is rather obvious that after Janus returned to Earth, with his knowledge of certain future events, he rebuilt his Time-Jumper. I think it is obvious that much is the case. He then traveled into the future to the time that Earth would rediscover the stargate to find out what would happen. He very likely learned about the Ori threat, and if he finally decided to ascend he may have very well shared this knowledge with the others. Of course the 'Others' being the 'selective uber-pacifist' they can be decided not to do anything about it. Ol' Merlin on the otherhand, decided the 'Others' were being idiots so he took matters into his own hands. Of course it makes sense that the stargate address would include the Earth point of origin, since the data device itself was on Earth to begin with. One has to wonder though... If the Stargate was buried in Egypt during Arthur's time, and the gate in Antartica was still buried... how did Merlin use the Stargate to get his anti-ascended weapon to another planet?? I suppose he might've used a ship... wonder where he left it?

Like I said... great episode.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Okay, anyone have a projectile vomitting smiley? I think I need one.
                        No doubt. Bugs squick me out on a MAJOR scale. That's part of the reason why I didn't really watch The Scourge until yesterday and I had someone who told me when to cover my eyes. Yick.

Say...you aren't a boy?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                          No doubt. Bugs squick me out on a MAJOR scale. That's part of the reason why I didn't really watch The Scourge until yesterday and I had someone who told me when to cover my eyes. Yick.
                          Bugs coming out of the mouth is doubly horrible. (But, I can't handle anything coming out of the mouth. Unless it's vomitting smileys)

Say...you aren't a boy?
                          Heh. After a few male references when people respond or quote me, I wasn't too sure myself.

Comment

my views on 'arthur's mantle'

sam was fun and funny!

i loved her sam-mitchell punching of arms scene, *mainly* because they did NOT make it shippy in any way between them!

i liked her reactions to things in this ep. when she was trying to communicate with chevron guy and the scientist in the control room. exasperated sam is fun!

i wish ben browder would stop trying to be as funny as richard dean anderson. (no one can master what that master of quip did. so please stop trying)

cute scenes between sam and daniel. cute punching of arms scene too.

one could 'almost' get a shippy-i'm-worried-about-you vibe when sam didn't want mitchell to go after teal'c, but... i'm just hyper sensitive to sam and any man being within one foot of her these days.

i wish they'd stop making teal'c come off as superbadmutherfighterteal'c. please let him use one gun again.

i like daniel when he's his old self (investigatey and smart).

why are they making dr lee more idiotic every ep?

landry. yes, i like him.

why did they kill off the sudan!? why can't we have one ally that doesn't bite the dust? at least we didn't see the sodan leader die... i think?

i saw the previews not fan of vala for the next ep not fan of vala... *takes deep breaths... starts hyperventilating... oops *

over all, sam rocks! sam rules! sam's da bomb! sam's great.

sally
                            Last edited by majorsal; 24 February 2006, 09:41 PM.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

A quick review: just got in from the NY Comics Con's Sci-Fi Friday.

What a cool way to watch SG1/SGA/BSG, with a live audience. When others laugh, gasp or groan at the same parts of the ep at the same time it enhances one's enjoyment. For whatever reasons, it seems to me, anyway. The promos were heavy on "the first 500 to attend" the commercial free episodes would get a freebie. So there were brave souls lining up for the showing as early as 6 pm (alas, including me, 'cause I didn't want to be number 499). The showing was to start around 7:30, and to end at 11pm. People were trying to do the math on that one, since commercial free eps are only 46-47 minutes. We speculated on some type of filler; but the shows ran back to back without interruptions. Except for the SciFi Channel's promo (when the screening began, instead of SG1 we got the IF short with the man sending his dog to work, dog does better job than him, etc. Howls of "that's a commercial!" erupted all around. Funny moment). Between each show we got the SciFi montage of its shows, and the "original series" blue screen. Best screening moment: After SG Atlantis, the "SciFi Original Series Stargate SG1 had everyone screaming (including me) "NOOO!" Then the same intro played again, same response. Then it played AGAIN, with Stargate Atlantis "coming up," and ONCE more, with the right intro to BSG. Somebody was loopy!

Can't say the less than full audience was very reactive; I kind of yelped when Amanda Tapping came on in the opening credits, as some did for Ben. Otherwise no real rootin' like we'd do on our fave threads. Minor.

Most seemed to enjoy the episode, as I did. I'm flabbergasted that the whole Sodan nation was wiped out in such a way; yuck on this writing. Otherwise, the contrast of humor and the little cliffhanger with the device's energy drain, Sam and Daniel finding how to return, Cam's uncertain status and his very certain status on the planet worked really well. Nice directing there. And loved Cam's return so unexpectedly; whoops, Cam gets whumped again!

Just sayin', loved this ep mostly for the great Sam and Daniel perk; they play well off each other and I miss that. So, still thawin' out from our blustery chill, will collect more thoughts on the Con and the Ep after a nice warm bath and sleep!
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

i wish they'd stop making teal'c come off as superbadmutherfighterteal'c. please let him use one gun again.
                                Must be the same person who ripped all the sleeves off his shirts.

one could 'almost' get a shippy-i'm-worried-about-you vibe when sam didn't want mitchell to go after teal'c, but... i'm just hyper sensitive to sam and any man being within one foot of sam these days.
                                I know the feeling, but I got more of a "no one can see you, you can't touch anything, what could you possibly do" vibe in this case. And, I'm happy to say I haven't gotten any shippy feeling watching Sam and Mitchell together.

Comment

Working...
                                X