Beachhead (906)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Vala is gone, long live Carter!!
    This ep seemed better than last weeks one, altho' I was thinking 'Urgo' when that fat guy turned up eating all the eggs. MS has killed the beard - Yay! Can't say these past 4 eps have blown me away though. They've all been pretty superficial, but then I put that down to TPTB being heavy on the comedy ala Vala..."Ding, dong, the witch is dead (or sucked into a stream matter) the witch is dead, the witch is dead..."
    6/10 for me.
    Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge!

Comment

I really liked this ep, the supergate, wonderful idea. Also it looked to me as if the prommie cgi has had a little upgrade, dunno why but the ship looked even better than usual, except for the small corridors, i swear they've never used them before.

Comment

it just showed that the Ori are WAy more powerful then we are
        and the goa'uld will always be Evil. loved that goa'uld and his evil plans

Also shows the Jaffa are stupid, when being led by someone. and big jaffa with fur coat is a bonehead

we will miss Vala, and we will rejoice about sam.

it WOULD be nice if they spent some quality time together on screen, like Jonas and Daniel did is Fallen & Homecoming.

wonder if RDA will ever come back??

Edit
        Love the basketball game bieng played
        and the line "vala this is a military vesile""i know darling ive stolen it before"
        Last edited by BC - 303; 16 November 2005, 07:12 AM.
        Hola

Hello

Comment

Vala's quirks are great and the basketball scene was fantastic to see, Vala was getting some good development, so was the rest of the team.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I enjoyed this episode, although it didnt have a WOW factor it had some positives like sam returning although it didnt seem like she was back yet if you no what I mean.

Gutted Vala has gone for now, but some of the FX were good and the scenes with Landry and Gou'ld were funny espicially when he was eating the chicken.

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
            legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Galluslass
              MS has killed the beard - Yay!
              *Claps hand to forehead in astonishment* would you believe I didn't notice that? D'oh!

Any guesses as to how many takes were needed to get that shot of Landry sinking the basketball into the hoop with one throw? Or is Beau Bridges a really good shot?
              sigpic

Comment

Beachhead was a great SG-1 Episode with the reintroduction of Amanda Tapping as Carter and the departing of the Vala which is sad but it was a noble sacrifce. The whole supergate thing was great and had some great visual effects in the Episode. It would have been nice to see Jack on the other end of the phone but the scene worked well without it. Overall a great Epsiode

Beachhead recieves a S.G.C rating of 8 out 9 Chevrons

Comment

I've been really lucky in what I've been spoiled for, I think. I had no idea about hte supergate, so WOW. And i know that some time near the end of s9
                  Spoiler:
                  Vala will be back , so I'm not all cut up about her disappearing; although i'll miss her in the meantime.

Jack's being enough of a prat (that stupid prank on the phone) that i don't miss him in the least. If all the references to him that seem to appear in every ep were to start referring to his competence and brilliance rather than his cosmic giddiness I might start feeling different.

No beard - HURRAH - so Daniel did need his glasses. In those suits I had more trouble than usual telling whether Ben was Ben or Michael; but i could always tell who Michael was, cos of his glasses. (And yes, I know there's a flaw in my thinking, but I was very tired at the time ).

Good ep. Had the feel of an earlier season ep, in that a bit of tweaking (switch a tokra or Asgard ship for Prometheus, and Anubis or Sokar for the Ori) and it could have fitted anywhere.

Madeleine

Comment

with the general concencus, i really liked Vala and she was fitting in (to a point).... but i do love Sam being back....
                    ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Already gave my review, but just want to reply to the other comments:

I do think that it's a bit annoying that they got rid of Vala and reintroduced Sam in the same episode.

Why? Because it gave the impression that "Vala/Sam" was an either/or deal. So it caused everybody to feel the need to compare the two. When, in fact, Vala is Vala and Sam is Sam, and they are nothing alike - so why compare them?

Vala was not Sam's replacement (if anything, she was Jack's - she was the life of the show in much the same way, and for many of the same reasons, that Jack was the life of the show in the early seasons), nor is Sam Vala's replacement.

Again, they are nothing alike. So why are we forcing them to compete?

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Katerine
                        Already gave my review, but just want to reply to the other comments:

I do think that it's a bit annoying that they got rid of Vala and reintroduced Sam in the same episode.

Why? Because it gave the impression that "Vala/Sam" was an either/or deal. So it caused everybody to feel the need to compare the two.
                        It's the Stargate SG1 way. Daniel/Jonas/Daniel. Jack/Landry. Jack/Cam. Sam/Cam. Sam/Vala/Sam.... They like to have a one or two episode overlap at most. And I agree that it tends to do no characters any favours.

Madeleine

Comment

I thought they did an excellent job of bringing Sam back. She did promise to Cameron, that she would help when she was needed. (Avalon, Pt 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            It's the Stargate SG1 way. Daniel/Jonas/Daniel. Jack/Landry. Jack/Cam. Sam/Cam. Sam/Vala/Sam.... They like to have a one or two episode overlap at most. And I agree that it tends to do no characters any favours.
                            But the thing is, all of the examples you listed except Sam/Vala feature people who actually have something in common, who fill each others' shoes in some way.

Jonas, like Daniel, was knowledgable in diplomacy, language, and archeology, and was very smart. More importantly, he officially took Daniel's place on SG-1 - they specifically stated on the show that this was what he was doing. It makes sense that we would compare them to each other.

Landry was the general in charge of the base, just like Jack, and Hammond before him. It makes sense that the three of them would be compared to each other.

Cam was the leader of SG-1, like Sam (although we never really got to see her lead) and Jack before her, so again, it would make sense that we would compare the three of them.

But literally, the only thing that Sam and Vala have in common is that they are both female. And they're both very determined people. And they were both once hosts. That's it. Vala was never a member of SG-1, nor was it ever even a consideration. Vala is not a scientist, nor is she a soldier, and she certainly doesn't have anything close to an analytical mind. Except for the determination, and the fact that they were both once hosts, she and Sam have nothing in common!

Why is everybody (including, apparently, the writers, since they decided to get rid of Vala and reintroduce Sam at the same time) comparing Vala with Sam? Why are they not comparing Vala with Jack? Vala and Jack have a great deal more in common, especially when it comes to the role they play. They both brought a kind of irreverence to the show. They both have complex relationships and visible chemistry with the other cast members (particularly Daniel - note that I mean "chemistry" in the general sense of "we the audience can feel a connection between them," not necessarily in the sexual sense). They both bring out both the best and the worst in the other cast members (again, particularly Daniel).

That's a whole lot more than Vala ever had in common with Sam. Unless of course it all boils down to the fact that they are both female. *sigh*

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

I can't believe that was an official Brad Wright episode.
                              My god -- is this what it's really come to? I'm feeling a distinct shiver of Emperor's New Clothes with each supposedly 'best ep of S9 so far'. The plot: undeveloped yet overfamiliar baddies make Big Honkin' Weapon type thing. SG1 go to Blow It Up With Big Honkin' Weapon. A la old Trek, it makes stuff worse (d'oh). Disaster saved by Dumb Excuse/Flaw in Evil Plan. The End.
                              Yet without any of the wit, character or flair of other similarly-plotted SG1 eps of the past.

And did I mention it's a Brad Wright episode? Brad Wright! If his name hadn't been on the credits I would never have found any proof in this real filler of an episode with nada character development. What a waste.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                              Jack's being enough of a prat (that stupid prank on the phone) that i don't miss him in the least. If all the references to him that seem to appear in every ep were to start referring to his competence and brilliance rather than his cosmic giddiness I might start feeling different.
                              This is what they have done since s7 whenever they needed to fill space. Get Jack to say something dumb/act as comic relief. And did I mention it was Brad Wright -- the person who was always credited with knowing his character best?

Poor. Must try harder.

J, even more non-plussed

Comment

Man, I forgot what a good ep this was. The Supergate was something I did not expect at all, and the black hole idea is kinda creepy, 'cause if the Ori can utilize black holes to a degree, then what else can they do? Still gonna miss Vala's snarkiness (tho I get enough of it from my sister), so
                                Spoiler:
                                really lookin' forward to her return
                                . An excellent ep overall.
                                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Working...
                                X