Beachhead (906)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonzey
    I have some things to say about Vala. People are complaining that she didn't try hard enough to make people hear her idea. I thought this is because she wanted to do it herself anyway, to prove herself. Y'see, she has always been a bit of a loner since she was de-goa'ulded, but when she gets to the SGC she finds people who she actually likes who aren't gonna double-cross her. But unfortunately they don't really trust her after the whole Prometheus incident so she feels she has to earn it. Plus she found out about the Ori and she wants to do something to help stop them.

And I'm sure if she did get sucked into the Ori galaxy, she can take care of herself. Especially since she knows what happens if she messes up (She'll be burninated). After all, the Ori didn't know about Harrid, Sallis and that other guy investigating their past.
    This rings true to me. Vala had made comments about not being part of the club and she was looking like she felt left out and no one was taking her seriously (because, well they werent). This attitude was a marked change from the beginning of the ep when she was playing Bball with the guys and was looking (and probably felt) like part of the team.

So Vala trying to be part of the team came up with what she felt was the best solution, made a half-hearted attempt to tell the others, got shutdown harshly by Daniel and then copped the "I'll show you" attitude. She even basically said "I'll show you" with her you will thank me when I get back type statement.

To me she seemed to have 2 modivations for her actions.
    1) Fear of the Ori actually getting a fleet here. I think the events of Avalon II, Origin and TPTB really instilled some fear of the Ori in her. Her entire body language changed right after they figured out the Ori were building a gate and Teal'c said the thing about the armada. Up until then I think she was thinking the Ori were just going to bring a bunch of guys through and there would be plenty of time for her to do what she needed to do to keep out of the Ori's way. The armada changes things as the Ori's victory would then be swift. Basically she was out of time, retreat no longer appeared to be an option so she started thinking offensivly.

2) It appeared to me she liked being part of a team at the beginning of the show. She was playing a team sport, using team work, tried to answer questions about the Goa'uld like she was part of the team. However, pretty much the whole ep after the basketball game no one treated her like part of the team. They pretty much treated her like a tag along (well because, basically thats how they saw her). I think she didnt like being seen as a tag along (who would). I think she felt the need to prove to the others, specifically Daniel, that she is not just some tag a long but someone who has somthing to contribute to the team.

She is obviously not someone who has worked with a team alot so she wasnt familiar with how a team operates when it comes brainstorming so when she got shot down on her first statement she just went ahead and went with her plan which, fortunatly, worked. Of course there may have been other possible solutions. If Vala could have stated her plan then the team may have come up with a better plan that caused no one to seemingly die. Or maybe someone would have thought about the asgard transporters. But thats not what happened. She is clearly someone who is simply used to doing and not thinking. Note this is not an insult some people like Daniel, Sam, Weir think things through (sometimes too much), some people like Vala, Jack and Sheppard just do things without thinking, they go on instinct (sometimes with bad consequences). Both types of people are equally valuable and each type of people make their mistakes.

So basically Vala wanted to stop the Ori from getting to this galaxy AND prove herself to the team. To do this she fell back on what she knew and trusted best, her own instincts. Now she is trapped with nothing but those instincts. Hopefully those instincts and the fear of the Ori will be enough to keep her out of the Ori's grasp. If she does come back to the show I would prefer she come back a wiser verison of herself not as a Prior. So far TPTB havent really ruined any of the guest characters (execpt by killing them) so hopefully they will not ruin this one but make her better then what she was and make her a valuable recurring character just like our Sainted Fraiser, Jacob, Bra’tec and Martouf (poor Martouf, his time with us was too short).
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Brilliant analysis. In TV Zone Special #64 Michael Shanks said that Claudia brought a lot of ideas to the table, I'd love to find out what kind of ideas they were, so hopefully WHEN she's available for more eps, she's going to bring even more ideas for Vala's character

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
        They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there? end Quote by Jack Bauer

Well, but wasn't the regular stargate still active? I mean, that's how the components of the supergate got here. They would still have to keep it open until they got their supergate working, wouldn't they?

Of course, then doesn't a wormhole only work one way--if it's open FROM there how can Vala's matter stream GO there? Oh, those wacky Ori--screwing up wormhole physics!

I give up--I haven't a clue!

Wait a minute! I gave it some more thought (dangerous, I know) and I think I might have a theory (maybe, perhaps, possibly). Maybe after they sent all those things through to build the supergate, they shut it down from their end and reopened it from this end in order to be ready for the supergate to connect via the singularity--then it would be open the right way for the Vala stream to make it to the Ori galaxy. Yes? Maybe? Perhaps?
        Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 22 August 2005, 05:05 PM. Reason: trying to fix the quote within a quote--you'd think I'd be better at this by now! *sigh* I give up.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

[QUOTE=ocalacam]I can't believe no one's yet mentioned Mitchell's "You have 30 of our 'Earth' minutes..." and Daniel's awesome reaction to it. Was Mitchell's comment and Daniel's reaction to it ad-libbed or written that way? Either way, awesome scene.

My first post here. I just could not resist a reply

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that WHOLE space suit scene was the best one of the ep and season. I keep watching that one over and over

Comment

Glad to see so many others enjoyed the episode like I did. I think things are just starting to heat up, and can't wait for this friday.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I enjoyed this episode but something about Carter felt out of sync with the rest of the episode. I'm not sure what about it bothered me.

Comment

I think Sam just needs to get back on her SG-1 feet, as it were.

Anyway, this may be my favourite 9th season episode so far. Who would have thought I could feel bad about Vala being gone? I mean, just when she's actually become likeable? TPTB are shrewd!

Incidentally, I loved the shot with Daniel, Teal'c, Cameron, and Sam walking through the Stargate together. That was too groovy!

My favourite part, though, was at the very end, when after Daniel learns Vala is likely still alive, wreaking havoc on the Orii home world, he gives that little hint of a smile. *sighs* What a perfect way to end the episode!
                Last edited by 1DanielForMe; 23 August 2005, 04:34 AM.

Comment

I think it might be Amanda that has to get back on her feet.

She was gone for the filming of 5 episodes that featured a few new players. The players she had worked with for years formed bonds with the new players and I'm sure there were some changes around the workplace. Nothing wrong with any of this, it's pretty natural for it to have happened, especially with at least 5 brand new people wandering about the set.

Amanda returns after some pretty amazing changes in her personal life to changes in the workplace and it probably will take a few weeks for her to adjust. Again, nothing wrong with that and Amanda seems like a bright and adaptable lady, so I expect her to fit right in soon - and I imagine everyone is trying to help that along.

I think it's natural for Amanda to take a week or so to get back into the swing of things. We have to remember that the rest of group has already had 5 weeks to gel.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                    Wait a minute! I gave it some more thought (dangerous, I know) and I think I might have a theory (maybe, perhaps, possibly). Maybe after they sent all those things through to build the supergate, they shut it down from their end and reopened it from this end in order to be ready for the supergate to connect via the singularity--then it would be open the right way for the Vala stream to make it to the Ori galaxy. Yes? Maybe? Perhaps?
                    Sounds like a good theory. Perhaps Carter will come up with some nice techno babble explaining it. I really hope Vala's still alive, she's great.

Comment

I had some time to type this. Finally!
                      I haven't read other people's comments yet. Just posting mine.

Great episode!

Sam's back! WOOHOO!!! I soooooooooo missed her! Don't get me wrong, I like Vala a lot. I happen to like Sam a lot too. I want Sam as a regular in every episode. I'm not so sure yet I would like Vala as a regular. Right now I'd like Vala as a recurring character, coming back from time to time, and I hope we see her at least in one more episode in the second half of this season, but I wouldn't want to see Vala in every single episode of any season just yet, in the same way that I wouldn't want to see Jacob, Bra'tac and others in every single episode. I like all of them as recurring characters, not as regulars. The same happens with Vala for me. At least for now.

Some "Beachhead" highlights:

1.- The basketball scene. I think we saw a bit of this in the Inside Sci Fi Friday special, and I thought it was a behind the scenes thing. Nice to see it was an actual scene.

2.- When Nerus arrives at the SGC, and he got them wrong (thinking Mitchell was O'Neill, Vala was Carter, etc). LOL

3.- When Nerus started talking normal and said that they don't have to talk that way (i.e. with that weird voice)

4.- Landry talking with Jack on the phone, and Sam appearing out of the blue. I could almost picture Jack's face when Landry says " She's standing right here. You're a very funny man, Jack. Very funny".

5.- Sam's back. Woohoo! Missed her and her technobabble sooooooo much.

6.- Aaaahhhh. We now know about Cameron's call sign. Hehehehehe

7.- The planet's force field and the super stargate. Very cool!

8.- The scene where Daniel, Cameron, Teal'c and Vala are in the planet's surface in space suits talking to the Prior

9.- Prior: "Dead is only the beginning of the real journey"
                      Daniel: "Sounds familiar"
                      LOL

10.- Landry telling Nerus that he would be locked up at Area 51 and face hunger until he came up with a defense
                      against the Ori.

11.- Daniel's smile when Sam confirms it's possible Vala's still alive.

Comment

What struck me full-on during "Beachhead" (and in "The Powers That Be") is that we're going to need some major plot twist for the SGC to be able to do anything against the Ori.

The Ori, as has been stressed quite nicely, are nothing like the Goa'uld. The Ori aren't false gods - they're real gods. They may not be entirely omnipotent, and they're not gods we would choose to follow or worship - but they're pretty darned powerful, and these powers aren't technological in nature - they're mystical, metaphysical. Does the SGC have any way to fight magic? I don't think they do.

We saw this with the disease no technology or medicine could cure last week, and the forcefield no weapon could breach this week. When a god, a real god, or an entity similar enough as to make no difference, makes a forcefield-bubble, you can't shut it down by emitting the right radio frequency or by destroying the generator - there is no frequency, there is no generator. There's just, y'know, god.

So how can SG1 fight the Ori? Technology is little to no use. Debate has so far remained an utter dead end ("Killing people who don't agree with you is wrong!" "No it's not, because, we can."). What's left?

If the Ancients don't step in soon and take a more active part, I really have no idea how they're going to pull this off.

(SG1: Ascended! Just imagine it! "Listen, General, we took care of the Prior on P4X-5Z22, but he interrupted our contemplating the nature of the universe and stuff, which really sucks, y'know?")
                        That will be all, Citizen. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice daycycle.

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
                          Just want to post something about Vala's "sacrafice" that I don't think others have considered. They were completely out of time. I think there were something like 2 or 3 blocks left to form the supergate. Vala didn't have time to try to get SG1 to listen to her AND explain what she was thinking AND actually move forward with her plan. When it became clear to her that no one was going to listen to her, she acted. As it was, she almost didn't make it. No, I don't think she was pouting or acting immature or anything like that. She realized what time constraints they were under and took action. Sometimes, SG1 talks ENTIRELY too much - this was one of those times. JMHO.
                          *looks around for the clapping smiley...wonders off and finds her own

Thank you! That's what I said...many, many posts ago. It bears repeating.
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by w1cket01
                            I enjoyed this episode but something about Carter felt out of sync with the rest of the episode. I'm not sure what about it bothered me.
                            I read her slightly aloof(?) behavior as related to the fact that Carter doesn't know she'll be rejoining SG1. For all she knows this is a one shot assignment she's been ordered to work on. First, no time to get all chummy given the emergency and also if you'll be leaving again right away you probably wouldn't get too comfortable.

Comment

If someone else has already mentioned this, sorry, I just quickly perused the 12+ pages ahead of this one...

I loved this episode UNTIL the very end. How in the name of God can the SG1 team joke and laugh about Vala having been sent off to the Ori's galaxy?!? And if that's not the case, then she's already dead (unless there happen to be Goa'ould transport rings sitting conveniently in a far, far galaxy which can randomly pick a matter stream out of the air and reintegrate it!), which seems far more likely. And they belittle her dying by making jokes about how annoying she is and how much of a burden she WOULD be in the Ori's galaxy. AND they do this after she gave her life in the very act of saving the entire milky way, including SG1 thankless hides, whilst they did nothing. Are we to believe that when SG1 saves the Earth or the Jaffa, their praises are sung across the galaxy by all, but when one woman saves everybody, they gest? Either way, this smacks of extremely poor moral judgement on the part of the writing team.

And on the subject of terrible moral judgement in the episode writing, this seems to be becoming a trend in the SG universe:
                              Atlantis' last two episodes end on very questionable notes.

**Possible spoilers**
                              -Condemed- has the Atlantis team deciding to "condemn" the population of an entire planet, ALL of whom are innocent, to a fate worse than death and that one thing of which they are all terrified. And they do so in order to allow a campfull of prisoners, or which a sizable portion are actual convicted criminals, to escape.
                              -Trinity- shows us that even if McKay has gotten the entire Atlantis team out of pretty much EVERY pickle they ever got into which could be solved instead of fought out of, one false step on his part merits him a complete loss of trust on behalf of Sheppard. McKay was right in this episode. He has earned their trust and they owe his their lives over and over. Sheppard, being intelligent should realize the scope of their whole mission, not just one mistake.

I'm hoping the writers start writing some humanity into our human heroes.

My 0.02$.

Comment

I wrote this in another thread, but I'll cross-post it here; It's my idea of how Vala could survive.

The "Dogs with One Bone" Theory:

The Ori had a stable blackhole on their end (Dog 1) that exerts a force and pulls things into it. They tried to create a similar blackhole (Dog 2) in our galaxy. To establish a wormhole and keep it open, they had to create two holes of equal force.

Before it collapsed, the hole in our backyard was stable for a few seconds, creating a bridge/connection between the two (the bone).

In Atlantis's "Letters from Pegasus" McKay theorized and proved that data could be sent from one wormhole to another in a matter of seconds. He even chopped down the time it took for the same amount of data: originally he thought 1.3, but he accomplished it in .3 seconds.

Also, the time it takes for a person to dematerialize/materialize from one gate to anotheri s directly proportionate to its mass and the power of the gates themselves.

Ergo, BIG gate + Infinite power + relatively small mass (in comparison) = takes a FRELLING SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME to accomplish the trip.

Vala's pretty much guaranteed to be alive. Physics prove it. YAY!

Does this sound plausible to you guys? Do you think this might work?

Comment

Working...
                                X