Full Circle (622)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeCommanderSora View Post
    I was thinking that but then i thought Oma has all the time in the universe so why would she just not wait for him to go back to our plain of existence.
    Well she too didn;t have the blessing of the Others. She was one to 'walk the fine line' while Daniel crossed it and had to be punished.
    Meh.

Comment

Great episode, Daniel brought out his badass side in this xD "No one will harm the people of Abydos". STUPID ULMA!!!!!!!!

I would of liked it better if Daniel smited him right then and there would of saved alot of problems for everyone lol.

Comment

Its a nice episode, but thank god it didn't became the finale episode of SG1, lol.

I really thought Daniel would have attacked Anubis, somehow Anubis have the power to defend himself and escape like the bad guy leader have done so many times, but his spaceship is destroyed and the planet is saved.... unfortunately, what happened was kind of disappointing for me. All that happened is Daniel got pulled away.

was looking forward to some cool ascension power but Omar spoiled the party

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
          Its a nice episode, but thank god it didn't became the finale episode of SG1, lol.

I really thought Daniel would have attacked Anubis, somehow Anubis have the power to defend himself and escape like the bad guy leader have done so many times, but his spaceship is destroyed and the planet is saved.... unfortunately, what happened was kind of disappointing for me. All that happened is Daniel got pulled away.

was looking forward to some cool ascension power but Omar spoiled the party
          well we know that it would of been some kind of bright light that looks like an energy based weapon that would just obliterate anubis, which would of been fantastic, but then what will fans have to speculate about :O

Comment

so this is my 2nd review for amconways challenge...
            first off this is a great episode and it was very funny,tons of action and of course Daniel shows up and actually does something!!!!!!!lol and what i mean by that is he decides to hell with the laws of the others and helps out the team.
            my favorite scene had to be Jacks banter with Her'ak....one of his best moments in my opinion out of many.It was also nice to see Abydos and Skaara again and the whole plot of this episode keeps me hooked everytime i watch it.Daniel basically giving the finger to the ancients was great and i was truly sad when Oma stopped him from destroying Anubis.
            what didnt work for me was Anubis admitting to Her'ak that he didnt destroy Daniel...very unGoa'uld like and all the abydonians being ascended....just seemed rather...uninspired.i understand Skaara ascending but i dont believe the entire Abydonian population would be able to ascend but other than those things i truly enjoyed this episode and rank it in my top 10 for SG1.

Comment

first off this is a great episode and it was very funny,tons of action and of course Daniel shows up and actually does something!!!!!!!lol and what i mean by that is he decides to hell with the laws of the others and helps out the team.
              my favorite scene had to be Jacks banter with Her'ak....one of his best moments in my opinion out of many.It was also nice to see Abydos and Skaara again and the whole plot of this episode keeps me hooked everytime i watch it.Daniel basically giving the finger to the ancients was great and i was truly sad when Oma stopped him from destroying Anubis.
              what didnt work for me was Anubis admitting to Her'ak that he didnt destroy Daniel...very unGoa'uld like and all the abydonians being ascended....just seemed rather...uninspired.i understand Skaara ascending but i dont believe the entire Abydonian population would be able to ascend but other than those things i truly enjoyed this episode and rank it in my top 10 for SG1.
              First off, I'm glad you chose this one--it really makes me want to watch it again. I'm still stuck in deadline hell, but I'm going to make time for this--somehow!
              I loved Daniel's decision that he had to take action, that he had no choice. While I can't quite forgive Oma for stopping him, I think she did it to keep the rest of the ascended from doing something worse. Still, it bothers me that if she'd done the right thing at this point, instead of 2 years later, Abydos, and the Abydonians would still be with us.

I agree with you about Anubis's behavior not ringing true--I think some stronger reasons were necessary for it to really be believable, but that's a small point that doesn't interfere with my enjpyment of the episode.

I also agree that the ascention of the Abydonians as a solution was problematic. Ascention seems to be a concious choice. How do infants ascend? Not to mention the fact that Oma seemed to find it better to let an entire planet of non-human life be destroyed than to take action against Anubis... Hmmm.

It's about this time that the ascended stopped being more evolved good guys in my book, and became beings that were just as flawed as any other sentient life form--with a lot more power. Not bad, like the Goa'uld, but not purely good as I, and presumably Daniel, had believed when we first saw Oma with Shifu. On the other hand, Oma's willingness to fry the Jaffa on Kelb, probably should have been a hint. Funny, how it's okay to kill thousands of Jaffa, but not Anubis...

It's a great episode that provides lots of interesting things to think about. And--Oh, happy day!--Daniel's back!

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                so this is my 2nd review for amconways challenge...
                Nice review! I agree on your favorites, I liked Jack needling Her'ak, and Daniel's showdown with Anubis was quite cool, one of the iconic moments in Stargate, I think. And I always like it when the show revisits Abydos, brings back fond memories of the movie.

I also really liked seeing Sam, Jonas, and Daniel working together to find the Eye, and the interaction between Jack and Skarra when he died and at the end was also nice. It made me wish we'd gotten to see more of their relationship in the series.

I had the same quibbles too, Anubis not taking credit for defeating Daniel in front of Her'ak, and all of Abydos ascending, it kinda cheapened the idea of ascension for me. I also kinda wish there had been time for a small reunion scene between Sam and Daniel, since this was the first time she'd seen him since his ascension. But I did like that her first reaction was to ask if he was ok.

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                First off, I'm glad you chose this one--it really makes me want to watch it again. I'm still stuck in deadline hell, but I'm going to make time for this--somehow!
                I loved Daniel's decision that he had to take action, that he had no choice. While I can't quite forgive Oma for stopping him, I think she did it to keep the rest of the ascended from doing something worse. Still, it bothers me that if she'd done the right thing at this point, instead of 2 years later, Abydos, and the Abydonians would still be with us.
                I didn't think it was Oma that stopped Daniel, considering she's a bit of a rule-breaker amongst the Ancients herself. I always thought it was the Ancients as a collective that stopped him because he was breaking their rules. He had good reason to, but I don't think that mattered to them. The Ancients seem to place far more importance on their self-imposed rules of non-interference than doing the 'right' thing.

It's about this time that the ascended stopped being more evolved good guys in my book, and became beings that were just as flawed as any other sentient life form--with a lot more power. Not bad, like the Goa'uld, but not purely good as I, and presumably Daniel, had believed when we first saw Oma with Shifu. On the other hand, Oma's willingness to fry the Jaffa on Kelb, probably should have been a hint. Funny, how it's okay to kill thousands of Jaffa, but not Anubis...
                I also like that the Ancients turned out to not be all purely good, just like I personally don't see the Goa'uld as all being purely bad. Shades of gray are much more fun to me.

My understanding of the Ancients is that, besides a few exceptions like Oma and Orlin, as a collective they're extreme sticklers for their rules and are rather intolerant of rule-breakers. Like in Ascension, they apparently had no issues with wiping out an entire civilization in order to punish Orlin's interference.

Oma broke the rules with Anubis, and her punishment is to watch him wreak havoc across the galaxy almost with impunity. And I think part of that punishment was the others not letting anyone else defeat Anubis, it had to be Oma who finally made that choice in Threads.

sigpic

Comment

My understanding of the Ancients is that, besides a few exceptions like Oma and Orlin, as a collective they're extreme sticklers for their rules and are rather intolerant of rule-breakers. Like in Ascension, they apparently had no issues with wiping out an entire civilization in order to punish Orlin's interference.
                  I remembered this after my post, but hadn't had time to add it, as a cat demanded my attention. Loudly.
                  One of the things that I find interesting about the ascended is their reasons for non-interference. It doesn't seem to be to preserve life. They wipe out civilizations and were willing to see two galaxies destroyed. So what is it? What is so important that nothing is worth interfering over? Perhaps they are trying to prevent struggles between ascended being, to protect the status quo. Frankly, I can't get my head around it.

Comment

I remembered this after my post, but hadn't had time to add it, as a cat demanded my attention. Loudly.
                    One of the things that I find interesting about the ascended is their reasons for non-interference. It doesn't seem to be to preserve life. They wipe out civilizations and were willing to see two galaxies destroyed. So what is it? What is so important that nothing is worth interfering over? Perhaps they are trying to prevent struggles between ascended being, to protect the status quo. Frankly, I can't get my head around it.
                    S9/S10
                    Spoiler:
                    I seem to recall the Ancients rule of non-inference is so they won't be corrupt with power like the Ori. I think that was mentioned in The Pegasus Project but I am not sure
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I seem to recall the Ancients rule of non-inference is so
                      Spoiler:
                      they won't be corrupt with power like the Ori. I think that was mentioned in The Pegasus Project but I am not sure

Yeah, I noted that, but it doesn't make much sense in terms of what they are willing to allow, unless their concern is spiritual/philisophical, rather than practical. And more of a concern about thamselves than anyone else. What is the difference between letting the Ori destroy galaxies and risking corruption themselves?

Comment

I agree with jelgate, in spoilers just in case...
                        Spoiler:

I think it was in Pegasus Project where Morgan said non-interference was at the very core of the Ancients' beliefs, it's their most important rule, what keeps them from being Ori.

So I think from their perspective, non-interference is more important than anything else, even the fate of every living thing in the universe. Because without it they lose their personal identity, and ascension at its basics is really a very personal thing, it's a spiritual choice. And I think they would have held true to that belief even to the point of annihilation by the Ori, because the philosophical matters more to them than the physical.

sigpic

Comment

So I think from their perspective, non-interference is more important than anything else, even the fate of every living thing in the universe. Because without it they lose their personal identity, and ascension at its basics is really a very personal thing, it's a spiritual choice. And I think they would have held true to that belief even to the point of annihilation by the Ori, because the philosophical matters more to them than the physical.
                          I agree--that's what I find problematic. It means that the rules of the ascended are entirely selfish, even to the point of finding it unnecessary to protect other beings who have the potential to ascend, who are like them, but haven't completed the journey. Only those who have actually ascended matter, not those who could ascend, or life forms who are incapable.
                          So if only ascension is important, as a completed reality, not a potential one, what is it that is so much more evolved about them? The ability to shed corporeal form?

Comment

Maybe they actually can't interfere but they want people to think that they are capable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                            MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
                              Maybe they actually can't interfere but they want people to think that they are capable.
                              But they have interferred before. Sometimes the rules are bent.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

We know that
                                Spoiler:
                                Oma was capable of stopping Anubis.

Morgan
                                Spoiler:
                                turned out not to be capable of stoppind Adria until after her power was diminished,
                                but that was kind of a special case.

I find it
                                Spoiler:
                                fairly despicable that the ascended were willing to see Anubis destroyed, but only if Oma did it, netting the same result, but at the expense of an entire planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X