Learning Curve (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amconway View Post
    Hmmm... Have you guys read the back posts in this thread? There sure are a lot of people that feel like they shouldn't have dared express disapproval of the condition the children were left in...
    Everyone's got a right to their opinion

We aren't the world's (or galaxy's) policemen and we are arrogant if we think that we are.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Everyone's got a right to their opinion

We aren't the world's (or galaxy's) policemen and we are arrogant if we think that we are.
      You want to smack the other hand, too? Or was that sufficient?

Comment

You want to smack the other hand, too? Or was that sufficient?
        I'm providing my opinion. That's still allowed as far as I undestand.

I haven't read back in the thread so I don't know what other people have said.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Hmmm... Have you guys read the back posts in this thread? There sure are a lot of people that feel like they shouldn't have dared express disapproval of the condition the children were left in...
          I read over the posts before posting my review of the episode, and while I see where some of them may be coming from when in believing that SG-1, or Jack in particular, were imposing their beliefs on the Orbanians, I essentially see the opposite.

Yes, SG-1, especially Jack, disagreed and disapproved with how the Orbanians were treating their children. They all tried to convince Kalan and Merrin to see the matter their way and stop using the Averium, with Jack using the most extreme method of persuasion in taking Merrin against orders to school.

But in the end SG-1 did not keep Merrin, did not forcibly stop the Orbanians from using Averium, and essentially left them in peace. I think that's the important part of the story, that SG-1 could have imposed their beliefs, but they chose not to and were still subtly able to make a difference on Orban.

sigpic

Comment

J BlueCello writes: “1. In the Stargate SG-1 episode “Learning Curver” (written by Heather E. Ash) where Brittney Irvin played the 11-year-old reactor expert from Orban who works with Sam to help build a reactor using earth materials, Sam Carter tells “Merrin” that “Half the interesting things in my life didn’t happen till I turned 15.” Merrin asked what kinds of things, and Sam dissembles. What “interesting things” do you think Sam meant?”

AT: I think Sam in her awkward way was referring to boys. As soon as she said it she got embarrassed … and she wonders why she is still single! Sheesh.
            http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

This was one of those episodes that was good but not remembered. I have always complained about school and they should make a device in which you get the knowledge you need but after watching this episode, i would rather go to school.
              Some say that he has only one ear.
              And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
              All we know is he's called
              sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this as a rewatch today.

Jack saying "I look fat" as he goes by the schoolgirl painting him is really funny. Well 12 years go by and its the hard truth as you age LOL desk jockey in the Pentagon now.
                sigpic
                Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

In all of the post i have heard nothing about the Urrones necklaces. Those are really cool. I cant even seem to find a picture of one! are the significant?? or just pretty i like them does anyone know where to get one???

Comment

Loved this epsode.

It was a bit funny to hear the young boy being called Tomin though. Also, the fat painting of Jack made me smile. What a fabulous character piece for Jack.
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

This is one of the episodes that you forget how good it is because its a quiet episode, not full of action. And I am a sucker for happy endings.
                      sigpic

Comment

I love the part in Carter's lab where she & Merrin are trying to get Sam's newly constructed reactor to work. It's fun to see Sam learning something new, and even teaching herself, because it's quite unusual to see her not know something technical and get frustrated.
                        sigpic

Comment

1. This is why I love SG-1. Because of everything I learn from Daniel! I'm an educated person, and I've never heard of Teotihuacán. !!! Listening gave me the motivation to go research this civilization.

2. Ummm... I don't know if I totally missed something. But can someone explain to me why they couldn't just take, lets say 1/2 of the nanites out of the kids heads? Why do they have to drain it all?
                          sigpic
                          Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                          O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                          Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                          O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

This was a truly sad episode, they couldn't save her in he end.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

Indeed, but there's hope for them now. They aren't just left to rot, but get a chance to learn things in the old-fashioned way.
                              sigpic

Comment

This episode was quite interesting and I really like how Jack in particular was invested in trying to get the young girl interested in other things apart from what she had been "programmed" to do.

She was so smart, but yet she lost alot of her childhood though. Something that can't ever be replaced. I really loved how at the end the kids are all playing, but the young girl didn't remember Jack when he went over to her. Sweet and yet sad at the same time.

However my brain did ask the question - was as it some kind of child abuse? I mean taking away their basically fundamental right of "being kids" is like slavery and then filling the head with nonsense that it was an hour to be serving with this great knowledge.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X