1969 (221)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    Does the whole scenario get replayed into infinity? In other words, there was no "first time" that we could identify and count that Hammond met them in 1969. That Hammond in the episode gets to be general, gives the note to Samantha, who then goes back and meets a young Hammond, who gets the note, who helps them, etc. ad infinitum.....??
    According to some theories on time...that's what would happen.
    sigpic

Comment

Hippy Teal'c is hilarious!

An interesting ep. More funny than anything else.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
        Hippy Teal'c is hilarious!

An interesting ep. More funny than anything else.
        it was an excellent episode.
        sigpic

Comment

This is a fun episode--never know where you'll end up! The costumes were great--I love that Jack was still cool and Daniel still was a geek. The whole road trip montage works well to show both the progress of their travel and their growing friendship with Michael and Jenny. I do wonder what Jack, as a military man, would have said to Michael--"man up and join up", "run to Canada", or "come with us"?

Why is the gate room abandoned in the future?

Comment

Ah the Grandfather Paradox. I LOVE the idea as much as its use in science fiction usually drives me crazy. It is very possible that Jack, projecting his emotional perspective about the military onto Michael could have been the catalyst of an accident or a save through Michael that could have meant a person was or was not available on one of Jack's special ops missions which could have meant he'd make it or not through Iraq...oh my head hurts. So, I do see Carter's POV about not wanting to interefere, and Daniel's noting Katherine may have kick started the program because of her introduction to SG-1's 1969 selves, but later in Moebius...well, why was it ok to send the camera and the ZPM forward again? I really should just concentrate on everyone's hairstyles, cause I'm becoming very confused.

Fun times for some, Niet for those seeking an or!

Comment

In "Moebius," the story was all about going back in time to retrieve the ZPM. When the team got stranded in the past, all they had to do was bury the ZPM so that it could be found in the future. This would effectively mean there'd be two teams, one that perished in the past and one that never went back in time. The video camera was to ensure that the timeline didn't get screwed up. This came in handy given that is exactly what happened.

Comment

I like this episode. But...

The "test burn" burns me*. I happen to know that rocket engines of that era were tested twice (on open test stands, by the manufacturer) and then, if they were ignited again, it was the real deal. So every time that bit about the "test burn" comes around, I get dumped out of the story to say "yeah, right" and roll my eyes.

And Jenny was so "I totally understand" about problems with authority, yet neither she nor Michael apparently thought it was at all odd that Sam called Jack "sir"--an authority title if there ever was one.

Also, why didn't the balcony disappear under the guard, given that Jack shot it at least three times (if not more)?

Still, I really liked the road trip (especially Jack fixing the bus and Teal'c learning to drive). The episode is eminently watchable for me, in contrast to some of the others in season 2.

Seaboe
                Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 26 September 2011, 08:26 PM. Reason: *yes, I worded it that way on purpose.
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

This is my second favourite of Season 2 after 'The Fifth Race'.

Just so much groovy fun man!!!!!

Comment

Enjoyable stuff, the right mix of humour and drama. Time travel stories can be hit and miss, but this one definitely works, and has a lot of fun along the way. Each character gets a chance to shine, be it Daniel pretending to be German or Teal'c and his great reactions to the culture of 1969.

- Nice little bit of continuity with the cut on Sam's hand from 'One False Step' (I assume it's the same on at least)

- I love it when General Hammond gets to show his more friendly/relaxed side

- Teal'c line about his symbol, "Do not discuss it further" really cracks me up, perfectly timed and delivered. Daniel's Russian response is also delightfully naive.

- The guy playing the young General Hammond gets the voice and mannerisms pretty well, but unfortunately looks nothing remotely like Don S. Davis!

- Jack identifies himself as Captain Kirk. I guess the interrogator didn't watch TV, because by 1969 Star Trek was very well known!

- The lady playing the old Cassandra seemed really enthusiastic - a bit of overacting there, methinks.

- Climbing up the sides of that giant boxed Stargate and unlatching it looked fun.

- Daniel's throwaway line, "I speak 23 languages, pick one" has stuck with me for years, and encouraged me to want to learn other languages. Spanish is my first choice!

RATING: 8 out of 10
                    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                      - Nice little bit of continuity with the cut on Sam's hand from 'One False Step' (I assume it's the same on at least)
                      I thought the cut from One False Step was on her palm. I assumed she got injured by a Reetou in the previous ep...

My LiveJournal post
                      Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there's a place on the map called 'Hammond'.
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        This is my second favourite of Season 2 after 'The Fifth Race'.

Just so much groovy fun man!!!!!
                        Me too! I can watch these two episodes again and again!

This one is so much fun. I wonder what happened to Michael and ...her name escapes me. It would have been nice to know.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

After watching 1969 for the first time in years, I think it's kind of overrated, I don't know why.

I can't say much about it except we got some back story about Hammond and the Gate.

Tomorrow, the end of Season 2, and the worst finale in Franchise history.
                          sigpic

Comment

favorite season 2 episode after the fifth race. the storyline was just interesting. like NIWDA said it was nice to get a little bit more back story on Hammond and the actor Aaron Pearl who played Hammond did a terrific job at emulating the good general.

i also enjoyed jack's little scene with that major. he enjoyed yanking his chain. except for the time travel science (which makes my head hurt) like how did the stargate program actually got started (was it due to SG-1's interference? or what) , this episode wasn't so bad.

by the way what was interest rate for jack to owe hammond 539.50 cents. sure it's been 30 years and all but what was it like 20 bucks per year?
                            Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 29 September 2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode. Fun, creative, funny. I could as well watch it again and again without skipping.
                              sigpic

Comment

5pm...time for another ep of SG1...

1. Episode title comes up "I wonder what's happened to them..."

2. Forgot how paniced the rest of the team were with the missile.

3. Road trip stuff cool.

4. Yeah the time travel here causes a headache later on but...we'll deal with that then.

Bottom line...fun time travel ep. Not my idea of a classic though.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X