This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stef View Post
    That's true....and we got Sam/Vala moments that I had so desperately hoped for Plus, we got a rare and wonderful Landry/Vala moment as well. That's probably the best part of FT, the team factor...how everyone was protective of Vala. I guess I shouldn't dismiss what this episode brought to the table in that regard.
    I too desperately hoped for some more Sam/Vala moments and Family Ties delivered on that perfectly, same with that lovely Vala/Landry scene. As whole it wasn't particularly good, but that episode had some great scenes.

Comment

Yeah, these last two episodes have deffinitely given us some great character moments for everyone I think, especially Vala.

Comment

I like both Cam and Vala. There both great characters. I liked them on Farscape and I like them on Stargate SG 1.

Comment

Yes, it seems like the last half of Season 10 really out shines everything else in Season 9 and first half of Season 10. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but Mitchell and Vala seem to be more a part of the team than they were before. It seems before, they were the "outsiders" and were just stuck in the same 'ole-same 'ole, now finally they are more like one big family.

The character development this last half season has been great. Sort of wished it hadn't of taken them 1.5 years to get to this level, and now just when they reach it ... somebody goes and pulls the plug. Can't wait to see what they do in the movies.

In particular, I'm glad we're getting to see Vala's more serious side a lot more than just her silly mischievousness all the time. (Don't get me wrong, I like her silly mischievousness, but also like a character with some depth, and having an actress who can pull off a whole range of emotions is excellent!)

I'm also glad they got away from Mitchell's wreckless character he had in the episode where the team was captured by the guys working for the Lucian Alliance ... I watched it recently and Mitchell just came across as the type person trying to prove something, who would do whatever it takes to prove he's "good", regardless of the wellfare of his team. I don't know, maybe it was just me in that ep. But I'm glad the writers steered away from that direction, and Mitchell is a much better leader now.

Comment

^^^^^
            ITA. Like you said, I really feel like Vala and Cam were an actual part of the team in these last ten episodes rather than the "newbies" still being tested out. I loved how they gave CB so much to work with. We saw how much she cares about her team members in TQ2, her intelligence in LITS, (dare I say) wisdom in "The Shroud," even some of her thieving ways in "Bad Guys." Being a Vala fan, I was so pleased to see the strides they took with maturing and expanding upon her character.

And for the first time since I started watching, I actually began to like Mitchell. I liked that he had a flaw (recklessness....which he even admitted to in one episode) but it did often counteract his role as leader. I totally see your point about OTG, and I think a lot of anti-Mitchell fans use this episode as their primary ammunition against him. That was toned down in the first half of season 10 but he only really clicked as a character for me in TQ2. He's actually a favorite character now

It's strange how one episode can make the difference for me. I think TQ1 had one of the worst depictions of Vala to date and then we see a completely different side of her in TQ2. Not only that, but after that episode I felt like I was watching a TEAM rather than some people fighting evil together. All it took was...
            Spoiler:
            ...Daniel taking Merlin's memories and sacrificing himself to Adria

Wow, I'm babbling, aren't I? Sorry, I just really loved these last 10 episodes.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

^^^^^
              ITA. Like you said, I really feel like Vala and Cam were an actual part of the team in these last ten episodes rather than the "newbies" still being tested out. I loved how they gave CB so much to work with. We saw how much she cares about her team members in TQ2, her intelligence in LITS, (dare I say) wisdom in "The Shroud," even some of her thieving ways in "Bad Guys." Being a Vala fan, I was so pleased to see the strides they took with maturing and expanding upon her character.

And for the first time since I started watching, I actually began to like Mitchell. I liked that he had a flaw (recklessness....which he even admitted to in one episode) but it did often counteract his role as leader. I totally see your point about OTG, and I think a lot of anti-Mitchell fans use this episode as their primary ammunition against him. That was toned down in the first half of season 10 but he only really clicked as a character for me in TQ2. He's actually a favorite character now

It's strange how one episode can make the difference for me. I think TQ1 had one of the worst depictions of Vala to date and then we see a completely different side of her in TQ2. Not only that, but after that episode I felt like I was watching a TEAM rather than some people fighting evil together. All it took was...
              Spoiler:
              ...Daniel taking Merlin's memories and sacrificing himself to Adria

Wow, I'm babbling, aren't I? Sorry, I just really loved these last 10 episodes.

-Stef
              I have to say, I liked how they gave us these flawed characters at the start of S9 - Mitchell and his recklessness and his absolute desire to prove himself to his heroes (SG-1) and Vala and her layers and layers of defensiveness - the manipulative, the little-girl flirtatiousness, the I-don't-care, the let's-irritate-everyone-on-purpose - and they took these two new characters, put them next to the three we'd known for for eight years, and yes, they were imperfect. because they hadn't been doing it for eight years. Cam's greatest weakness was his naivitie and not knowing what was out there - which makes sense, and Vala's was not knowing how to work as a team, and trust people - which also makes sense.

And it also makes sense that as the two season's we've had them progresses, they grow. The only time I generally object to characters is if they grow in a direction that seems 'off' for the experiences they've had, or if they fail to grow at all. And I look at Cam's and Vala's growth, and it seems perfectly reasonable. I love, love how Cam's leadership skills have grown so that he can deal with an SG-1 that he only has authority over by their consent. How SG-1 (the original three) seem to have trained him up between them, and let him make his own mistakes. Because he's not making them now. And I've loved to see Vala generally relax and become herself around them - a process starting in early S9 and just gradually creeping up on me. And in particular, I love how there doesn't seem t obe a jump in growth, but they've done it gradually, so i couldn't tell you the moment whne I realised that Cam could cope with leading SG-1 at a time when the entire galaxy's threatened. There's just little moments that gradaully increase and merge until they're big moments.

And I love the conflict that Adria provides in Vala, because that's one of the few times that the mask seems to come down and we see actual caring, and indecisiveness, and fear. Because she fights against the bond whilst she acknowledges it - she views Adria as her daughter whilst she's trying to destroy her, and CB plays that so well.
              sigpic
              Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
              Vince: “Yeah.”
              Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Agreed. IMO what you just said there sums up these two characters, and the growth they've gotten over the last two seasons perfectly.

Comment

Agree as well.

Even though I prefer they didn't have the flaws (gave certain folks "amunition" to use for all the "I hate ..." posts and fan videos, etc.), it makes sense the way you put it that they had to have these flaws so they could grow. Looking back you see they had to fit in and grow on the fans as well as the rest of SG1, and over time they've done a good job of that.

Yes, it really would have been worse to have them come in and immediately "fit in" and be just the perfect solution to all the problems, because that doesn't happen in reality.

Hind-sight's always 20/20 ... but there are still scenes that just make me want to cringe at times :-)

Yep, I think Cam and Vala have finally made a place for themselves at the SGC and with the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Caladria View Post
                    I have to say, I liked how they gave us these flawed characters at the start of S9 - Mitchell and his recklessness and his absolute desire to prove himself to his heroes (SG-1) and Vala and her layers and layers of defensiveness - the manipulative, the little-girl flirtatiousness, the I-don't-care, the let's-irritate-everyone-on-purpose - and they took these two new characters, put them next to the three we'd known for for eight years, and yes, they were imperfect. because they hadn't been doing it for eight years. Cam's greatest weakness was his naivitie and not knowing what was out there - which makes sense, and Vala's was not knowing how to work as a team, and trust people - which also makes sense.

And it also makes sense that as the two season's we've had them progresses, they grow. The only time I generally object to characters is if they grow in a direction that seems 'off' for the experiences they've had, or if they fail to grow at all. And I look at Cam's and Vala's growth, and it seems perfectly reasonable. I love, love how Cam's leadership skills have grown so that he can deal with an SG-1 that he only has authority over by their consent. How SG-1 (the original three) seem to have trained him up between them, and let him make his own mistakes. Because he's not making them now. And I've loved to see Vala generally relax and become herself around them - a process starting in early S9 and just gradually creeping up on me. And in particular, I love how there doesn't seem t obe a jump in growth, but they've done it gradually, so i couldn't tell you the moment whne I realised that Cam could cope with leading SG-1 at a time when the entire galaxy's threatened. There's just little moments that gradaully increase and merge until they're big moments.

And I love the conflict that Adria provides in Vala, because that's one of the few times that the mask seems to come down and we see actual caring, and indecisiveness, and fear. Because she fights against the bond whilst she acknowledges it - she views Adria as her daughter whilst she's trying to destroy her, and CB plays that so well.
                    ITA 100% with all of this great post. Yours too Stef
                    sigpic
                    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                      ITA 100% with all of this great post. Yours too Stef
                      Indeed! Both are very well thought out posts that describe Cam and Vala quite well.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by MFA View Post
                        Agree as well.

Even though I prefer they didn't have the flaws (gave certain folks "amunition" to use for all the "I hate ..." posts and fan videos, etc.), it makes sense the way you put it that they had to have these flaws so they could grow. Looking back you see they had to fit in and grow on the fans as well as the rest of SG1, and over time they've done a good job of that.

Yes, it really would have been worse to have them come in and immediately "fit in" and be just the perfect solution to all the problems, because that doesn't happen in reality.

Hind-sight's always 20/20 ... but there are still scenes that just make me want to cringe at times :-)

Yep, I think Cam and Vala have finally made a place for themselves at the SGC and with the fans.

Cam's not just anyone, he's us.

What would a fan of SG-1 be like if they were allowed to go on missions with Sam and Daniel and Teal'c? Would they be all calm and collected and performing to the best of their ability, or would they be over-desperate to be accepted?

S10 Cam is just that bit more seasoned, and he's stopped going "whee!" mentally every time he steps through the Stargate. He's calmed down and he's actually started thinknig of his teammates as teammates rather than the "OMG!!! its Daniel Jackson!!" he seems to be doing at the start of S9 (bless him, the poor lad is crushed when he realises he can't go play with his heroes).

But if they were perfect, they'd have a whole different set of fans saying that that wasn't right and hating them for being perfect (and some of the same, who were just gonig to not like it anyway).

Cam's imagination in 200 hows that he still wants to be the hero to a certain extent, but he's just learnt to restrain it now.

And, oh.. those scenes that make me cower behind a cushion yelling at the TV.. "Cam! Look at the Ten Things SG-1 Never Does! You're breaking about four!"
                        sigpic
                        Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
                        Vince: “Yeah.”
                        Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Heads up. Here is the link for the Favorite Cameron Mitchell episode game.

Favorite Cameron Mitchell episode

and Vala Episode Game
                          Favorite Vala Episode
                          Made by Stef

Comment

ITA agreement about your comments guys One of the things that I really appreciate about both Vala and Cam is that they're flawed. I really enjoy all of the other characters, but they seem pretty perfect to me (I don't consider "caring too much" to be a legitimate flaw )...which isn't to say that they aren't good characters and fun to watch, because this marathon on SF has shown me that they are.

But Vala makes mistakes, says inappropriate things, and doesn't have a perfect history. The same with Cam...he has a legitimate flaw that we've seen since his entrance in season 9. While I may have been frustrated with him at first, it is such a pleasure to see him try to deal with that part of himself, to see him grow and learn. I guess that is one of the things I like the most about them. We've gotten the chance to see both characters grow and change over the past couple of years; to see them struggle to find their places, deal with their pasts, and overcome some of their worst impulses. It makes things interesting, and stirs up the stable and established characters already on the canvas.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

ITA agreement about your comments guys One of the things that I really appreciate about both Vala and Cam is that they're flawed. I really enjoy all of the other characters, but they seem pretty perfect to me (I don't consider "caring too much" to be a legitimate flaw )...which isn't to say that they aren't good characters and fun to watch, because this marathon on SF has shown me that they are.

But Vala makes mistakes, says inappropriate things, and doesn't have a perfect history. The same with Cam...he has a legitimate flaw that we've seen since his entrance in season 9. While I may have been frustrated with him at first, it is such a pleasure to see him try to deal with that part of himself, to see him grow and learn. I guess that is one of the things I like the most about them. We've gotten the chance to see both characters grow and change over the past couple of years; to see them struggle to find their places, deal with their pasts, and overcome some of their worst impulses. It makes things interesting, and stirs up the stable and established characters already on the canvas.
                              It's a shame that this is the last season because, especially in the second half, the writers have taken those characters to another level and made them very much whole. Both of them have grown so much, and I felt that it was about at Quest Pt. II where the team became a whole entity rather than the "band" that Cam got back together- in what I thought was a great progression through seasons nine and ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                It's a shame that this is the last season because, especially in the second half, the writers have taken those characters to another level and made them very much whole. Both of them have grown so much, and I felt that it was about at Quest Pt. II where the team became a whole entity rather than the "band" that Cam got back together- in what I thought was a great progression through seasons nine and ten.
                                Agreed. That's a problem with new characters as it takes time for the actors to adjust to the roles and grow as actors as well as the characters. The actors all have a great chemistry and the characters really grew from season 9-10, both great seasons and they really needed more than 2 seasons not just for BB,CB,and Beau, but the characters and the Ori. At least the show got a proper ending and we will se SG-1 continue in two movies and hopefully many more to come.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X