This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
    Even shows with strong ratings eventually end because their expanding costs diminish their rate of return on the investment.
    Yes, but if the parent show is doing well ratings-wise when it ends, those who invested in it may be willing to support a new spin-off, allowing the franchise to continue even when the show does not.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

The new cast isn't exactly cheaper than the old cast and plus, a five people team puts a burden on the budget. It would have been wiser to make a complete new SG team with the old SG-1 members showing up once in a while. Jonas would work, even the cadets in Providing Ground as long as they're given a fitting leader.

Comment

Originally posted by tsukasa14
        The new cast isn't exactly cheaper than the old cast and plus, a five people team puts a burden on the budget. It would have been wiser to make a complete new SG team with the old SG-1 members showing up once in a while. Jonas would work, even the cadets in Providing Ground as long as they're given a fitting leader.
        Good point - unknown actors might have worked out cheaper if new characters were needed.

Comment

For me the new SG-1 (if you can even call it that) is extremely puerile and contrived and has some of the worst character ever established on the show (namely mitchell and vala). I HATE the new direction of the show and want it to end (if the old direction were to return I too would return). For me it's the new show which is definitely NOT to my liking. I am one of those that watched for most of the first 8 years and I gave S9 a chance like many others and when I saw what a piece of cr@p it was I gave up. Heck I even gave S10 a chance but these boys at bridge, under the tuteledge of cooper, just kept screwing it up and off I went to find bigger and better (not hard these days) things.

IMO, they focused too much on mitchell and vala, especially in S9, and they are characters that instill absolutely no loyalty and I could care less what happens to them so really at the end of the day there really was no reason to watch because in all honesty I could not give one whit about either and TPTKTS made this new show all about them so there was no reason to keep tuning in, for me. To be honest I wish they had changed the name and the whole premise at the beginning of S9 like they wanted then I would not have even bothered tuning in at all and I would not have wasted my time and it would have been a lot easier to walk away a lot sooner but as with many others I THOUGHT we would get Stragate SG-1 after all that is what it was called - boy was I WRONG!!! Seems like most of what we got was cooper's puerile idea of humor disguised as a whorelette and a green, hot-headed, schizophrenic newbie who didn't deserve what he got handed to him for no apparent reason other than he got a big boo-boo when he got shot down while working with the REAL SG-1 (just like a lot of other heroic pilots) in Antarctica.
          Last edited by binkpmmc; 07 October 2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            I don't know about anyone else, but I would have been perfectly happy to keep watching the show as it was in the first eight seasons.
            YUP - me too. Problem I see is that tastes didn't change - the show did (and too much at once) and people didn't get tired of the concept since TPTKTS changed the concept (I do not recall seeing the Stargate all that much in S9 or S10 and not much exploration of new worlds and new technologies), too much reliance on the shiny new ships (which are apparently a dime a dozen now) and I certainly had a hard time spotting any real team stuff -- 10 is a teeny bit better than 9 however, as I said above, mitchell to me is a divisive force because he is such a weak character that I saw TPTKTS keeping the BIG3 apart to try (and failed miserably) to hide it, mitchell weakens the BIG3 and the team dynamic because TPTKTS have to weaken the BIG3 to make mitchell seem like he belongs and deserves to be there. vala - well that is just such a mess IMO I cannot even bother to waste time saying anything much about it at all - what I will say is cooper's and the b@b senses of humor are better left to South Park and King of the Hll because that is what vala reminds me of.

Comment

It seems that there are not enough people share your opinion to allow the show to be renewed.
              You're wrong about that. If a of the fans didn't like the changes there wouldn't be around 1.9-2.3 ratings per ep (combined orriginal and late night). The ratings would be alot lower.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                Well S9 was just too ridiculous for me, with the unbelievable inept hewo Cam running off without thinking, and the whorelette Vala being accepted at the SGC.
                I'm going to back up Farscapefan on this one. I loved the old seasons but I feel season 9 brought some great life to the show and Cam has done exactly what jack used to do, run in guns ablazing. Vala brought some more humor and overall fun to the show and really love that. I loved seasons 1-8 but think seasons 9 and 10 are even better.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                  For me the new SG-1 (if you can even call it that) is extremely puerile and contrived and has some of the worst character ever established on the show (namely mitchell and vala). I HATE the new direction of the show and want it to end (if the old direction were to return I too would return). For me it's the new show which is definitely NOT to my liking. I am one of those that watched for most of the first 8 years and I gave S9 a chance like many others and when I saw what a piece of cr@p it was I gave up. Heck I even gave S10 a chance but these boys at bridge, under the tuteledge of cooper, just kept screwing it up and off I went to find bigger and better (not hard these days) things.

IMO, they focused too much on mitchell and vala, especially in S9, and they are characters that instill absolutely no loyalty and I could care less what happens to them so really at the end of the day there really was no reason to watch because in all honesty I could not give one whit about either and TPTKTS made this new show all about them so there was no reason to keep tuning in, for me. To be honest I wish they had changed the name and the whole premise at the beginning of S9 like they wanted then I would not have even bothered tuning in at all and I would not have wasted my time and it would have been a lot easier to walk away a lot sooner but as with many others I THOUGHT we would get Stragate SG-1 after all that is what it was called - boy was I WRONG!!! Seems like most of what we got was cooper's puerile idea of humor disguised as a whorelette and a green, hot-headed, schizophrenic newbie who didn't deserve what he got handed to him for no apparent reason other than he got a big boo-boo when he got shot down while working with the REAL SG-1 (just like a lot of other heroic pilots) in Antarctica.
                  No offense but I emphatically disagree. I can tell you really hatae the new direction but I still find it SG-1 and a great show. In season 9 they had to focus on Mitchell and Vala as they were new characters. Vala is not a whoreette IMO and is a great adition. Cooper did not kill the show as it is still great. What killed it is some people's inability to accept that the changes have not hurt the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
                    The BIG GREEN will follow as soon as I can green you again
                    Thanks I apreciate it and it's good to have someone who en joys the show as much as I.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                      You're wrong about that. If a of the fans didn't like the changes there wouldn't be around 1.9-2.3 ratings per ep (combined orriginal and late night). The ratings would be alot lower.
                      Firstly, I never said that all of the fans disliked the changes. It would be completely inaccurate to make so general a statement. Given the ratings drop, however, it is obvious that there are quite a few fans who have stopped watching and it is far from impossible that some, if not most stopped watching because they disliked one or more of the changes.

The show is being cancelled due to ratings - whatever the ratings are, they are clearly not high enough. Even if second runs count in the minds of the Sci-Fi execs and advertisers, 1.9-2.3 over two showings averages at all of 0.95-1.15 per showing and that doesn't take into account anybody who might be watching both.
                      Last edited by ReganX; 07 October 2006, 07:11 PM.

Comment

No offense but I emphatically disagree. I can tell you really hatae the new direction but I still find it SG-1 and a great show. In season 9 they had to focus on Mitchell and Vala as they were new characters. Vala is not a whoreette IMO and is a great adition. Cooper did not kill the show as it is still great. What killed it is some people's inability to accept that the changes have not hurt the show.
                        They needed to show something of them, true, but not at the expense of the established characters. A better course of action would have been to ensure roughly equal screentime and focus on each character.

Isn't "whorelette" Claudia Black's description of her character?

As far as people killing the show by not accepting the changes goes, as I have said more than once, nobody is obliged to accept the changes. It is for them to decide for themselves whether those changes are helping or hurting the show. You may consider the new characters wonderful, others may disagree. If TPTB wanted fans to continue watching the show, it was up to them to make the changes appeal to the fans. The fans were under no obligation to like those changes or to accept them.

Comment

And the circle keeps going around and around. Change can be good, and change can be bad. Obviously the changes that were made, many fans considered bad, why should they continue to watch something that was so obviously bad to them. If the show is well written and changes are handled well, then fans will continue to watch, if the changes are handled terribly, then fans will stop watching. It's not that they can't handle changes, it's that the changes diminished the show that they once watched.
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Firstly, I never said that all of the fans disliked the changes. It would be completely inaccurate to make so general a statement. Given the ratings drop, however, it is obvious that there are quite a few fans who have stopped watching and it is far from impossible that some, if not most stopped watching because they disliked one or more of the changes.

The show is being cancelled due to ratings - whatever the ratings are, they are clearly not high enough. Even if second runs count in the minds of the Sci-Fi execs and advertisers, 1.9-2.3 over two showings averages at all of 0.95-1.15 per showing and that doesn't take into account anybody who might be watching both.
                            Ok grant it some people stoped watching b/c of the changes. The show was not cancelled b/c of the ratings as the ratings were higher than you stated. the lowest was 1.4 and highest 1.6 so the total combined was very good. Ratings may have played a small part but it was not the full reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                              And the circle keeps going around and around. Change can be good, and change can be bad. Obviously the changes that were made, many fans considered bad, why should they continue to watch something that was so obviously bad to them. If the show is well written and changes are handled well, then fans will continue to watch, if the changes are handled terribly, then fans will stop watching. It's not that they can't handle changes, it's that the changes diminished the show that they once watched.
                              That's your opinion. In many fans opinions the changes were handled well. In fact it's a majority since the ratings were pretty good considering the show did loose some viewership.

Comment

They needed to show something of them, true, but not at the expense of the established characters. A better course of action would have been to ensure roughly equal screentime and focus on each character.

Isn't "whorelette" Claudia Black's description of her character?

As far as people killing the show by not accepting the changes goes, as I have said more than once, nobody is obliged to accept the changes. It is for them to decide for themselves whether those changes are helping or hurting the show. You may consider the new characters wonderful, others may disagree. If TPTB wanted fans to continue watching the show, it was up to them to make the changes appeal to the fans. The fans were under no obligation to like those changes or to accept them.
                                Again I disagree. The writers did not write Cam and Vala at an expense of the other characters. All the characters have had equal parts and the orriginal cast has not been sidelined. No no one is obliged to accept the changes and yes some agree with me and others don't. I think TPTB did appeal to the fans just some don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                                X