X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
    Scifi moved BSG that why SG-1 died IMO
    If the show was so weak that it depended on BSG for its ratings, one could argue that it was already dead. That's the last conclusion anybody who wants to see the show continue in any form should want those who would be investing in any TV movie/mini-series to draw.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

camshaft
      A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
        I don't understand that notion that if a show has been on for ten years, that somehow it's time for the show to move on. Old? No. The writing and the storytelling in season ten is still fantastic. Those that refuse to give it a chance because it's "different" are the ones losing out on a great season.
        Sure, the season it great. I even said it wasn't the writing. Fact is ratings tanked, so it's obvious many people disagree with me.

Sci-Fi didn't give up SG-1 because it wanted to save a ton of money. It gave up SG-1 because it was mad that it wasn't raking in the oodles of cash that MGM makes off of the show. The Sci-fi channel would take SG-1 back in a heartbeat if MGM lowered it's licensing fees or changed the terms of the contract to allow Sci-Fi a piece of the considerable pie that SG-1 brings in revenue.
        Can you prove any of this? Other than hearing it from another user on this board and repeating it until people take it as fact? Scifi wants the show too cost less, yeah, but are they looking to cash in on some of the money made off international airings? I doubt it. They never have, so why start. Again, the show was too expensive when compared to the ratings. Past season ratings have "allowed" the budget. With the rising cost of contracts and renewal rights every passing year, age defintely led to the decision.
        Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
          Sure, the season it great. I even said it wasn't the writing. Fact is ratings tanked, so it's obvious many people disagree with me.

Can you prove any of this? Other than hearing it from another user on this board and repeating it until people take it as fact? Scifi wants the show too cost less, yeah, but are they looking to cash in on some of the money made off international airings? I doubt it. They never have, so why start. Again, the show was too expensive when compared to the ratings. Past season ratings have "allowed" the budget. With the rising cost of contracts and renewal rights every passing year, age defintely led to the decision.
          Yup, it's enough to go and read (or listen to) Brad Wright's interview here at GW. He said (and this was LONG before the cancellation!) that if they had rebranded the show after season 8 (in fact season 9 and 10 the season 1 and 2 of the new show in their minds) the show would have been able to go on for YEARS. Didn't happen unfortunately. ****ing Skiffy wanted their record. They got it and said: Good bye.
          T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan
            Yup, it's enough to go and read (or listen to) Brad Wright's interview here at GW. He said (and this was LONG before the cancellation!) that if they had rebranded the show after season 8 (in fact season 9 and 10 the season 1 and 2 of the new show in their minds) the show would have been able to go on for YEARS. Didn't happen unfortunately. ****ing Skiffy wanted their record. They got it and said: Good bye.
            I think that may have contributed to the dislike of some fans for the show. I understand that TPTB wanted to make a second spin-off and that they had a different idea in mind for what that spin-off would be like compared to its parent show, but as they continued to use the name "Stargate: SG-1", I can see why people would expect it to continue to be "Stargate: SG-1" and were not happy to see "Stargate Command" in its stead.

Maybe "Stargate Command" would have done better ratings-wise, or perhaps its costs would have been low enough to allow it to survive even if the ratings were the same as for Seasons Nine and Ten. Maybe it would have done poorly and been cancelled at the end of its first season. We have no way of knowing.

However, at least if the show had been called "Stargate Command", it would have been a new show in name as well as in practice. People would know when they started watching that it wasn't "Stargate: SG-1" and could accept or reject it, like it or loathe it based on its own merits.

If TPTB were making "Stargate: SG-1" instead of "Stargate Command", they should have continued to make "Stargate: SG-1", incorporating a few new elements into the show as it was rather than thinking of it as a new show. It wasn't. It is unfortunate that they were not allowed to start their spin-off, but I think that the show would be doing a lot better ratings-wise now if the changes hadn't been as pronounced. Perhaps at the end of a Season Ten that truly was Season Ten of "Stargate: SG-1" rather that Season Two of "Stargate Command" existing under the name "Stargate: SG-1", Sci-Fi would have been interested in going ahead with the spin-off "Stargate Command".

Comment

I also think the problem with S10 was S9. People watched S9, didn't like what they saw (shown by the fall in the ratings) and gave up not bothering to check out S10 to see if any improvements were made. If they had made it a new show, then I think the ratings would have been much lower for S9, because there wouldn't have been anything there, to keep some die hard SG1 fans watching, it would have been much easier to give up a show that didn't have your favourite characters in it.

I know the writers tried to fix up s10 by toning down the new characters, but it was too little, too late.
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Season 9 (a season of what I can only term a big, ugly, puerile mess) was part of the downfall of S10. TPTKTS have also contributed to the problems with S10 (continued mess, bad writing, plot holes bigger then the galaxy, 2 new characters that, luckily, bear little resemblence to the 2 new characters brought in to S9 but have the same names (both of whom, IMO, contributed to the mess TPTKTS have made and continue to make) -- oh wait that's one of the MOs of TPTKTS - keep the name just change the show as maybe they can fool the idiots that watch - ha! showed them - hundreds of thousandsw of "those idiots" stopped watching when we figured out it was not Stargate SG-1 it was some weird, puerile, really bad rendition of something that was supposed to be called Stargate Command.

Comment

Season 10 didn't go wrong anywhere IMHO. I lovved seasons 1-8 and never felt the quality was declining. the exact oposite. I feel the quality improved ep by ep and season by season. I too was skeptical about season 9 but really enjoyed it. I don't see how the sets or visuals have declined or are not believeable. I find them really great and very believable. But who are we to say what's belivable on an alien planet? Whoever said the standalone episodes are a problem rewatch seasons 1-8 and you'll find as many standalone eps in every single season and I happen to think those eps help the show and take our minds off the awesome overpowering enemy. Season 10 is of great quality and IMO nothing went wrong and the two things that killed it were Scifi and fans that gave up b/c of the changes that IMO were great creative moves.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                    Season 10 didn't go wrong anywhere IMHO. I lovved seasons 1-8 and never felt the quality was declining. the exact oposite. I feel the quality improved ep by ep and season by season. I too was skeptical about season 9 but really enjoyed it. I don't see how the sets or visuals have declined or are not believeable. I find them really great and very believable. But who are we to say what's belivable on an alien planet? Whoever said the standalone episodes are a problem rewatch seasons 1-8 and you'll find as many standalone eps in every single season and I happen to think those eps help the show and take our minds off the awesome overpowering enemy. Season 10 is of great quality and IMO nothing went wrong and the two things that killed it were Scifi and fans that gave up b/c of the changes that IMO were great creative moves.
                    The BIG GREEN will follow as soon as I can green you again

Comment

The lower rate in S9 must have bred doubt whether SG was worth for Scifi to invest money in. The further drop in rating at beginning of S10 eventually finalized the decision. S10 is quite an improvement from S9 but neither S9 or S10 is the old Stargate SG-1. There are many people who started their Stargate journey because of CB and BB but the fact is that the majority rejected the new additions, hence the dropping number of viewers. It's not the viewers' fault for not watching something they don't enjoy. It's the makers' fault for disregarding fans' need.

A few of you have mentioned that S9 and S10 might have a chance to survive more than two seasons as a spinoff. But then, look at the spinoff we already have. SGA has a complete new set of characters and storyline but its rating fluctuates around 1.6-1.7 which is not good enough either. Stargate Command is bound to be cancelled at the end of S10 regardless, and perhaps, S10 existed because it disguised itself as SG-1. Some people trudged on because they hoped to see glimpses of the old SG-1 somewhere.
                      Last edited by tsukasa14; 07 October 2006, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsukasa14
                        The lower rate in S9 must have bred doubt whether SG was worth for Scifi to invest money in. The further drop in rating at beginning of S10 eventually finalized the decision. S10 is quite an improvement from S9 but neither S9 or S10 are the old Stargate SG-1. There are many people who started their Stargate journey because of CB and BB but the fact is that the majority rejected the new additions, hence the dropping number of viewers. It's not the viewers' fault for not watching something they don't enjoy. It's the makers' fault for disregarding fans' need.

A few of you have mentioned that S9 and S10 might have a chance to survive more than two seasons as a spinoff. But then, look at the spinoff we already have. SGA has a complete new set of characters and storyline but its rating fluctuates around 1.6-1.7, which is not good enough either. Stargate Command was bound to be cancelled at the end of S10 regardless, and perhaps, S10 existed because it disguised itself as SG-1. Some people trudged on because they hoped to see glimpses of the old SG-1 somewhere.
                        Well, for me the old SG-1 is extremely boring. I LOVE the new direction of the show and want it to continue. For me it's the new show which FINALLY is my cup of tea.

Comment

The lower rate in S9 must have bred doubt whether SG was worth for Scifi to invest money in. The further drop in rating at beginning of S10 eventually finalized the decision. S10 is quite an improvement from S9 but neither S9 or S10 are the old Stargate SG-1. There are many people who started their Stargate journey because of CB and BB but the fact is that the majority rejected the new additions, hence the dropping number of viewers. It's not the viewers' fault for not watching something they don't enjoy. It's the makers' fault for disregarding fans' need.

A few of you have mentioned that S9 and S10 might have a chance to survive more than two seasons as a spinoff. But then, look at the spinoff we already have. SGA has a complete new set of characters and storyline but its rating fluctuates around 1.6-1.7, which is not good enough either. Stargate Command was bound to be cancelled at the end of S10 regardless, and perhaps, S10 existed because it disguised itself as SG-1. Some people trudged on because they hoped to see glimpses of the old SG-1 somewhere.
                          I agree with you on what you said. Had the show changed name and brought in a new cast it would cost a lot less to make. So just like SGA it could survive a little longer even though it has lower ratings then one would hope and expect. Some (many?) old SG1 fans didn't like the changes made in S9. The ratings for that season showed that people did give it a chance, but apparently didn't enjoy it enough to come back for S10. Now they have done some changes for the better, but in my opinion not good enough...and the changes may have come way to late.

I think S10 didn't go as wrong as S9, that was the make or break season, you could say. There is little chance for a S11 now, but there will more then likely be some sort of SG1 in the near future. The show costs a lot now considering it's age and it's scifi, so it costs much more then say a drama show. Had it been a spin off as S9/10 was supposed to be, it might have made it past 2 season.

Comment

There are many people who started their Stargate journey because of CB and BB but the fact is that the majority rejected the new additions, hence the dropping number of viewers. It's not the viewers' fault for not watching something they don't enjoy. It's the makers' fault for disregarding fans' need.
                            I think that had the new characters been used differently in Season Nine - Major Mitchell and Vala as she was in Prometheus Unbound, for example - and introduced without taking focus away from the established characters, the show would be doing a lot better ratings-wise, perhaps even better than Season Eight. They would have been able to bring in new viewers with BB and CB but without losing more viewers than they gained.

I think it'd depend on the costs of the new show - maybe there would have been a chance that the Sci-Fi channel would have given Season Two of "Stargate Command" the benefit of the doubt and given it a chance at another season to see if it could turn it around although you're right that some fans kept watching because they hoped to see a glimmer of "Stargate: SG-1" again. Without them, "Stargate Command" might be doing a lot worse.

Comment

Well, for me the old SG-1 is extremely boring. I LOVE the new direction of the show and want it to continue. For me it's the new show which FINALLY is my cup of tea.
                              Well S9 was just too ridiculous for me, with the unbelievable inept hewo Cam running off without thinking, and the whorelette Vala being accepted at the SGC.
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

It seems that there are not enough people share your opinion to allow the show to be renewed.

Comment

Working...
                                X