This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illspirit
    I honestly think it went wrong through loads of standalone episodes involving crap like the Lucian Alliance and Vala's amnesia. I think the entire series should have focused on the inexorable advance of the most powerful enemy in the universe rather than have the cast go off and do extra stuff on the side. There were too few Ori episodes this year. They no longer came across as an imminent threat.
    I kinda agree, but I am not saying that I do not like Season 10. I just wish that the first half of the season would have focused more on the Ori, because it seems that half/half so far. But still I am looking forward to the final 10 episodes, too bad they are 6 months away.

: Green is Good.
    sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

I honestly think it went wrong through loads of standalone episodes involving crap like the Lucian Alliance and Vala's amnesia.
      Excuse me? ""Memento Mori" (Vala's amnesia) is my favourite episode so far of season 10. It's definitely not crap. And the answer to the original question is NOWHERE. It's Skiffy's fault all the way.
      T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

I honestly think it went wrong through loads of standalone episodes involving crap like the Lucian Alliance and Vala's amnesia. I think the entire series should have focused on the inexorable advance of the most powerful enemy in the universe rather than have the cast go off and do extra stuff on the side. There were too few Ori episodes this year. They no longer came across as an imminent threat.
        weren't people moaning last year that there were too many Ori episodes and not enough stand alone ones? Now this year people are moaning there's too few Ori episodes and too many stand alone lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
          I have one thing to say that they absolutely did right....making Adria so ****ing hot! So very right.....
          Thats true.
          sigpic

Comment

The way I see it, the show should have ended in season 8. Season 9 and 10 should have been season 1 and 2 of a new show. Looking at it from a "new show" point of view I would have to say the end came when they failed to address it as a new show, but slapped the old title on it for that record. The fact they cancelled right after the record was set confirmed it for me. They USED the old show as a way to get in the record books.

If it was handled right and SG-1 was closed at season 9 and they toted the new SG-1 as a new show with a new title and new characters. It would have done better IMO because people wouldn't have been so upset by the changes--they would have been expecting it.
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

It is a smart business decision to cancel now yes. However, their inability to support the show for more than a year at a time played a large part in the cost of the show increasing like it did. Having to negotiate every year cost them dearly. I think SG-1 was successful in the first place because Showtime gave them 88 almost right off the bat. 44 in the original contract and 44 more before the first season was done. They knew they had a long time to make solid stories.

Also, about the Ori being an immediate threat. How many standalone ridiculous episodes that had little to nothing to do with the Goa'uld were in the first 8 seasons? Don't blame the Ori, they played them like they have with the other big bads. As an imminent threat in the premieres, mid-season, and finales and a few in between.

Personally, I like Season 9 and I really like Season 10. So while I do see the side of the show saying the writing changed and it's not the same. I really do think a name change could have helped so I'm not a psychotic "SciFi must Die!" guy. I see both sides. However, I do think SciFi played the largest part of anyone in the eventual cancellation of the show.
              Thor: Your mind has been interfaced with the Daniel Jackson.
              Jack: What?
              Daniel: What?!?

Comment

I was ready to give up on SG1 in season 8, but I rather liked the revamp in season 9 and everything seemed to fall into place this year. It seemed there was life in the ole gal yet.

However, SciFi felt catering to fans of wrestling and violent shows is more suitable for them. They also picked up reruns of Threshold and Enterprise rather cheaply. Theshold reruns will be paired off with BSG on Fridays starting mid-October. Starting in January your Fridays will be filled with 22 weeks of the funloving supersoldier/weapon wielding hot babe "Painkiller Jane" - based on the crapfest thrilling SciFi original film!

Aren't we thrilled?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I've been very disappointed with Season 10 so far. I actually really enjoyed Season 9 a lot and had high expectations this year. Unfortunately, it failed to deliver. The only outstanding episode to me this season was The Pegasus Project. There wasn't enough "The Ori are here, were so screwed" feeling like there SHOULD have been. It was too much like buisness as usual. And I also haven't been fond of the filler we've gotten this year.
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Just ONE of the areas where season 10 went wrong is the fact that the show - the sets are looking less and less believeable as the series goes on. It seems less money is being spent on sets overall. If you look at a lot of the scenes in season 10 episodes, half of a damn show can take place against one single set piece - a damn wall!

Another place I think the series is suffereing (goes for season 9 as well) is poor storytelling. It seems as if the writers are afraid to do ANYTHING. No one is giving scenes the real impact they need. They won't allow charatcters to dive too far into an emotional scene without getting right up to the good part and then cutting away to commercial. Nor are they allowing any action. With god-like Ori, and superhuman Jaffa, the Go'ould, the relentless Lucien Alliance - Stargate should be host to the best action sequences in the history of television. But you see more action and tenseness on Fear Factor and not Stargate. Go figure.

The whole series is suffering from some sort of follow-through sickeness. There's no action. There's no seanse of real personal dramas for the characters. The sets are terrible. The scripts are lackluster. The writing is forgettable.

So where do I think season 10 has went wrong so far? Well, everywhere.

Comment

People who complain about too many stand alone episodes in season 10 should actually watch the first 8 seasons. About half the episodes in the first 8 seasons never dealt directly with the Goa'uld threat.

Comment

Hard to say, really. Season 10 has had lower ratings due to anything from poor writing in s9 and s10 to no BSG anchor to iffy advertising to more competition on other networks to viewers simply losing interest in a 10 year old show. It's likely a combination of the above, with some factors having more influence than others.

SciFi is a business first and foremost and it's often villified for making a business decision. SG1 just didn't bring in the ratings in s10 like it did in s9. That coupled with SG1's increasing cost made it less profitable and TV networks are ultimately concerned with profit. SciFi may have signed SG1's cancellation, but the show put itself on the chopping block in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
                          Ten years guys, THAT'S the problem. Not Scifi, not the writers. The show is OLD. Old shows get canned because they cost too much. Not becuase "LOLZ, Scifi is teh stupids"

The made a smart business decision that will save them a lot of money in the coming year.
                          I disagree. I think Sci-Fi is upset that it isn't getting the HUGE cash dividends that MGM is enjoying, and it's trying to strong arm the studio.

I don't understand that notion that if a show has been on for ten years, that somehow it's time for the show to move on. Old? No. The writing and the storytelling in season ten is still fantastic. Those that refuse to give it a chance because it's "different" are the ones losing out on a great season.

Sci-Fi didn't give up SG-1 because it wanted to save a ton of money. It gave up SG-1 because it was mad that it wasn't raking in the oodles of cash that MGM makes off of the show. The Sci-fi channel would take SG-1 back in a heartbeat if MGM lowered it's licensing fees or changed the terms of the contract to allow Sci-Fi a piece of the considerable pie that SG-1 brings in revenue.

It's NOT because the show has been on for ten years or because the show is old. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                            I disagree. I think Sci-Fi is upset that it isn't getting the HUGE cash dividends that MGM is enjoying, and it's trying to strong arm the studio.

I don't understand that notion that if a show has been on for ten years, that somehow it's time for the show to move on. Old? No. The writing and the storytelling in season ten is still fantastic. Those that refuse to give it a chance because it's "different" are the ones losing out on a great season.

Sci-Fi didn't give up SG-1 because it wanted to save a ton of money. It gave up SG-1 because it was mad that it wasn't raking in the oodles of cash that MGM makes off of the show. The Sci-fi channel would take SG-1 back in a heartbeat if MGM lowered it's licensing fees or changed the terms of the contract to allow Sci-Fi a piece of the considerable pie that SG-1 brings in revenue.

It's NOT because the show has been on for ten years or because the show is old. Please.
                            I agree with Maxum. So what the show is old? Couldn't Friends be considered old, or The Cosby Show? The last quite a long time, and I believe that both ended b/c the actors wanted the show to end.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshNaranek
                              at the end of season 9 everything was awesome and the stage seemed set to keep SG-1 going for another few seasons, yet the decision to axe came in about the first third of season 10. so where did the writers screw up to reduce the ratings enough to make it seem non-viable?
                              Scifi moved BSG that why SG-1 died IMO
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I don't think Season 10 "went wrong" anywhere. IMO, this first half of this season has been one of the best ever. Sci-Fi Channel is what did in this show, not TPTB or poor writing. At least, not to me. I loved Season 9, and think things have just gotten better this season.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X