This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Engineer
    That will happen unless Mitchell saves that day.
    It's his command, he would be promoted first...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
      I think Carter will be promoted first.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

It's his command... besides if the
        Spoiler:
        wedding in episode 200 is real Carters probably goin civilian
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Not necessarily. They've established the character as too young for promotion for around another five years. I don't see the show lasting that long. Even if Mitchell was in command, it doesn't mean that he is automatically promoted ahead of Sam. She has been in the Air Force longer and will therefore be eligible for promotion to full colonel before he is. If Sam's superiors feel that she deserves a promotion once she becomes eligible, they're not going to refrain from putting her name forward for one simply because Mitchell cannot be promoted yet.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Regan
            Not necessarily. They've established the character as too young for promotion for around another five years. I don't see the show lasting that long. Even if Mitchell was in command, it doesn't mean that he is automatically promoted ahead of Sam. She has been in the Air Force longer and will therefore be eligible for promotion to full colonel before he is. If Sam's superiors feel that she deserves a promotion once she becomes eligible, they're not going to refrain from putting her name forward for one simply because Mitchell cannot be promoted yet
            as correct as you are, Regan, i'm not sure TPTB realize it. in fact, i'm rather sure they don't. isn't mitchell also too young to be a lieutenant colonel? actually, given their ages and experiences, in reality carter would probably outrank mitchell. but we all know that's not true. and since promotions are based mainly on fitness reports, TIG, responsibility in current and past assignments, and line number (the second being out the window, the third being also out the window, and last being basically out the window). yeah, well...
            Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel
            Yeah, but, for all the Antis: Don't think that cancelling the show will give you exactly what you want. Alot of Antis want SG-1 to be how it used to be, but they won't cancel the show and then just bring it back up the way it used to be. Once it's cancelled, it's cancelled, and it wont be brought back up. So is it really what you want? Just think about it. And yes, it's okay that no one actually leads the team. That's a good thing.
            at this point, quite frankly, i just want them to stop ruining the show and characters i used to love. yeah, i'd like to see it get better, but if that means canceling, IMO, they deserve it (1.4?).
            And do I have to point this out again, for the record: Mitchell doesn't have to take orders from Carter! The same way Carter doesn't have to take orders from Mitchell. O'neill has disobeyed orders before to save those he cared about, so even if Mitchell had to take orders from Carter, he wasn't wrong to go risk his life to save Teal'C 's.
            carter was in charge of that mission. that's why she was leading it. it's command position, not actual grade. the PRESIDENT has to obey his PSD team; they're in charge. carter was in charge; mitchell disobeyed a direct order; mitchell was wrong. on other missions (apparently), neither is superior to the other, so that can't happen. apparently. if landry decided to put one in charge of the other, darn right the other'd have to listen.
            Yep, but I still say its okay with there being no leader, then, itd be more convenient to consult each other before making decisions.
            proper chain of command does not impede consultation, it aids it. it might be more convenient now, but wait until they need a fast call. that's WHY we don't use it in real life. and trust me, actual military in one form or another has had waaaaay more time to learn what works.
            Spoiler:
            Spoiler:
            did you just say if something in episode 200 is real? regardless, Carter going civ is the easy way out; it doesn't make any sense (even though i'm a shipper). i'll lose even more respect for TPTB if they try to pull that one outa their…hats.
            Last edited by ParadoxRealities; 09 August 2006, 10:26 AM.
            sigpic
            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
              as correct as you are, Regan, i'm not sure TPTB realize it. in fact, i'm rather sure they don't. isn't mitchell also too young to be a lieutenant colonel?
              Mitchell is old enough to be a lieutenant colonel but apparently only if he made all of his promotions at the minimum time in grade.

yeah, well...at this point, quite frankly, i just want them to stop ruining the show and characters i used to love. yeah, i'd like to see it get better, but if that means canceling, IMO, they deserve it (1.4?).
              I don't see the show ever getting better in my opinion. Once it's over, it can't get worse.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

*Decides to try a bigger mod hat*

This thread is not about what you want or wish SG-1 (the show or the team) to be. It is a discussion of your interpretation of what the team is.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  *Decides to try a bigger mod hat*

This thread is not about what you want or wish SG-1 (the show or the team) to be. It is a discussion of your interpretation of what the team is.
                  in other words, ban the world "should"? <scrambles to check own posts>
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

It's his command... besides if the
                    Spoiler:
                    In the new photos of 200 it says
                    Spoiler:
                    that the "wedding" is mock.
                    I happen to like the team dynamic. Everyone works well as a team and Mitchell does act the leader but with him and Carter being the same rank they both kind of lead, and then they rely on the abilities .of Teal'c Daniel and Vala. I happen to like that
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

in other words, ban the world "should"? <scrambles to check own posts>
                      Not necessarily, but I just don't want this to become another combative "who should lead SG-1" thread. We already have one of those and it's a mine-field!

Comment

i agree, no one truly leads SG-1. it's quite confusing, actually. "annoying" would be a good word for it. mitchell certainly doesn't seem to "lead" anything, but he does seem to have some overriding power. or, perhaps just amnesty for disobeying orders (which actually seems more plausible, given Stronghold). mitchell's proclaimed himself leader of several missions, but carter's given orders on others. in fact, carter's given the only two direct orders from within SG-1 that i can remember from past 2 seasons. superiors address the two together and they make most decisions together. some "leader" talk comes from carter, some talk is directed at mitchell. mitchell was, at one point, named leader. then the team came back together, for whatever reason, and all explanation halted. TPTB have stated :cough:backpedaled:cough they're "co-leading" which of course, doesn't actually exist in real life; and for good reason. that said, i'll just sit back and wait for the whole thing to horribly and catastrophically go boom. but that's the current team dynamics for ya.
                        My personal opinion on this is taht Mitchell is the leader. He was given lead in 'Avalon' and it was never rescinded.
                        I don't think anything changed when Carter returned, Mitchell was still the leader.
                        However, Carter was used to commanding, so she keeps taking over. I think Mitchell needs to slap her down, but he feels he can't because
                        a: She's Samantha Carter, uber genius and hero
                        b: the rest of his team will side with her
                        c: His leadership is a little tenuous due to them being the same rank.
                        Personally, I think this co-lead crap that writers tell us about but never actually SAY in the show is a cop out to the carter fans. They don't what the reaction they got when MS left teh show, so they are trying to please everyone.
                        It's pointless.
                        Mitchell needs to be shown fully in command and Carter doing her tech.
                        I really really hope I didn't just start a fight.

Comment

Actually, I think Mitchell has made her feel comfortable enough to take the lead when it is more in her field, like the science stuff and has made her feel comfortable enough for her to say, I'll do this while you do that. If he felt what she was saying/doing was wrong, then he would tell her that, but so far, they've pretty much agreed on what needs to be done. Mitchell doesn't micromanage. He certainly isn't going to say, "How dare you make a move until I order you to." His highly qualified, highly specialized team knows what needs to be done. Mitchell is there to keep them focused and to decide things if there is a dispute or to make the tough decision. That is really the only kind of leadership this team needs.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                            Actually, I think Mitchell has made her feel comfortable enough to take the lead when it is more in her field, like the science stuff and has made her feel comfortable enough for her to say, I'll do this while you do that. If he felt what she was saying/doing was wrong, then he would tell her that, but so far, they've pretty much agreed on what needs to be done. Mitchell doesn't micromanage. He certainly isn't going to say, "How dare you make a move until I order you to." His highly qualified, highly specialized team knows what needs to be done. Mitchell is there to keep them focused and to decide things if there is a dispute or to make the tough decision. That is really the only kind of leadership this team needs.
                            I don't think Mitchell means for her to take the lead as much as she does.
                            Telling him to stay in radio contact and she'll go, he stays here. That's almost as if SHE's in command, not him.
                            I could deal with it if I saw clear co-lead stuff on here, but I don't. As far as I'm concerned, Mitchell's leader.
                            yes, I agree that he want's her to take the lead on science stuff, he doesn't need to micromanage, but his team should NOT be giving him orders.
                            Anyway, that's how I feel about it. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                              his team should NOT be giving him orders.
                              Anyway, that's how I feel about it. What do you think?
                              I think that if Cameron really disagreed with an "order" from someone else on the team, he'd overrule it, but at this point it seems like he trusts their respective judgments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                                This was pretty much Cam's quote to Landry. Notice Landry didn't argue the point?
                                Notice Landry said, 'me too' as he walked away?
                                Oh my god, Landry doesn't command the SGC, he admitted it.

Comment

Working...
                                X