Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is SG1 Committing Genocide? ('Arthur's Mantle' SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as wiping out the Ori was Genocide, what they did also was Genocide if a planet did not convert. They killed them, and they did try to wipe Earth out. Now maybe we should of tried to find a upper escholone of Ori to kill, but the problem is they would of killed us if we didn't convert, so it comes to the old saying.

'Survival of the fitest'.

And unfortunatly, all those things that have posed Earth a threat to date, Gouald, Replicators now the Ori have been needed to have been killed for our survival. I know it sounds harsh that many have to die for us to continue, or even as far as saying we could of saved some, but fact is they would kill us first to survive, so why should we think about the ethics of wiping out a whole race of 'evil' people.

Genocide is sort of wrong, but the Ori if we did not convert would of commited genocide on our race. And then not only would we fall but argueble the galaxy would also.
    sigpic

Comment

It's stupid to think about wether or not this was genocide when the Ori clearly expressed their desire to enslave or kill the entire Tau'ri race.
      My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
        It's stupid to think about wether or not this was genocide when the Ori clearly expressed their desire to enslave or kill the entire Tau'ri race.
        As well as any other humans throughout the galaxy who did not bow to them!

Then after they had enough 'followers' they would kill the ascended ancients.

I don't see a problem with it, they have no problem with killing any & all life who don't worship them as the creators of all things.

Bit hard to do, considering they never even knew this galaxy existed in the 1st place!

It's a simple choice, them or you!

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
          now, now. don't let anything like logic get in the way of a good condemnation argument.

Comment

to this day, do we have any PROOF that the Ori did not ascend their followers? I mean physical proof. not just daniel's word.

because, as far as i recall, the Ori are 'bad' solely cause daniel said that they were. and daniel was just repeating what an ancient told him. an ancient who was the enemy of the people they were talking about. Not quite a sterling example.

they committed genocide by the simple definition of the term

the systematic killing of all the people from a national, ethnic, or religious group, or an attempt to do this

the Ori are a religious group, the weapon did/has the potential to kill them all.

Did the Ori commit genocide? yes, also by that definition. they did, however, allow for conversion to 'save' a person's life.

The same way that the Trust, in Endgame when they sent missiles of symbiote poison through the gate committed genocide. they sent a targeted attack to kill all symbiotes (which happen to be sentient beings by the way) and the jaffa died as a result.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
              Spoiler:
              Has SG-1 committed genocide when they sent Merlin's weapon to wipe out the Ori? Do all the Ori deserve to "die"? In essence SG-1 has neutralized, killed, wiped out--all the Ori because the Ori were trying to make us worship them. Instead of finding if there was an upper level of government that controlled the Ori, SG-1 sent a weapon to wipe them out. They are reportedly dead now. So, was it self defence or Genocide? Was there any proof that ALL the Ori were evil? Granted, Cooper presented us with a faceless enemy that really know nothing about. The enemy was flawed from the start. But did we have the right to KILL ALL the Ori?

Please feel free to debate this question but refrain from attacking one another verbally.
              They started it!

Never raise up more devil than you can put down.

Comment

I'm not sure it's genocide, could all of the Ori be considered enemy combatants?

Comment

"racial, political, or cultural group" has nothing to do with species... was it genocide when humans wiped out neanderthals?

do you stand by and let someone kill you or do you stop them?

even if the device actually killed them, it's simply trying to survive. as long as the ori exist, they will try to destroy or subjugate humans.
                  Last edited by mrdice87; 08 March 2007, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Of course not... Using your liberal definition of genocide every war every fought would be genocide. Genocide is the deliberate destruction of a group of people because, in basis, you feel like it. Defending yourselves against such a powerful force can hardly be considered genocide. If it were, then isn't killing all the Goa'uld Genocide? Isn't killing Iraqi's genocide? Wasn't World War II one big huge group of genocides all rolled into one? Of course not, its war, in war there is death and destruction, its never been any other way.
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

the 'liberal' definition is c/p out of the dictionary

How do we know that there weren't innocents there? What if only the most devout got to try and convert and there are whole planets of innocent Ori there?

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. we don't know.

SG-1 basically let loose the equivalent of a biological weapon and are justifying it by 'well, the ancients DID say they were evil'

I'm not defending the Ori. They did kill people. but they WERE massacred indiscriminantly and we still don't have anthing beyond daniels' word that they were pure evil.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        the 'liberal' definition is c/p out of the dictionary
                        Oh my Gods, Stephen Colbert is right! Reality has a liberal bias...

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post

If the Ori are trapped in a higher dimension, they are imprisioned in that dimension but they are not dead. They cannot exit, but does that mean they cannot see? Hear and feel?? Nope, just means that they are trapped behind at least temporarily inpentarbale walls.
                          WTF!!?! where did u get this trash from! THey are eithe dead or not dead.. not imprisoned. The weapon either worked or didnt if it did then they are DEAD! The weapon cancels out their life just like the dakara weapon canceled out the replicaters lifes
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepperJunkie View Post
                            personally, i don't think we're deliberately going out into the universe trying to wipe out the Ori. i think that if they had stayed put where they were we would have had no reason to want to defend ourselves against them. they are the one coming here to exact retribution on us. they're the ones building the supergates and ships for the sole purpose of getting us to join them or be wiped out. all i see us doing is trying to preserve our way of existence the best way we know how. we've already seen Daniel trying to resolve various situations with Priors peacefully to no avail. so i guess the question is, what is the right course of action in a situation that calls for immediate attention against an enemy with superior technology that won't listen unless you're saying what they want?
                            Defend Earth at all cost.
                            sigpic
                            The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

just like the ori defended their faith at all costs

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                SG-1 basically let loose the equivalent of a biological weapon and are justifying it by 'well, the ancients DID say they were evil'

I'm not defending the Ori. They did kill people. but they WERE massacred indiscriminantly and we still don't have anthing beyond daniels' word that they were pure evil.
                                So you don't consider whiping out whole planets, burning anyone who does not convert and colapsing whole planets to form a black hole powered supergate evil?

Comment

Working...
                                X