S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    See, that actually didn't bother me. Even as brainy as Daniel must have been growing up, he must have watched some cartoons. After all, Scooby Doo was a *mystery* show . Didn't they always run into mummies & stuff? I bet Daniel watched it and critiqued it. "That's not what a real sarcophagus looks like."
    When I was a kid I watch that scooby do religiously (yikes). Daniel would have critiqued the crap out of it. "Mummies don't walk. That's not what a scarab looks like. What does this have to do with Egypt."

That's why I would have doubted that Daniel would have used scooby doo. Jack--no doubt. But Daniel would have been too smart for the show. And the bad guys would never have gotten the refrence.

That's why it was so out of place. Jack liked to screw with the bad guy's head with pop culture. Daniel would screw with the bad guy's head in a far more--meaningful way.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

i did like the amy/cam stuff. that was cute and, had the show continued, i'd have loved to have seen it become a plot point

i woudl LOVE to see a member of the team in a relationship that actually lasts and works

vala....vala was just there to keep the fanbois happy. and yeah, we get lits, where she has some depth and reality...then this. where she's just boobs filling out a tiny little shirt

a waste of a good actress
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the kansas motto is

ad astera per aspera

to the stars through difficulty

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i did like the amy/cam stuff. that was cute and, had the show continued, i'd have loved to have seen it become a plot point

i woudl LOVE to see a member of the team in a relationship that actually lasts and works

vala....vala was just there to keep the fanbois happy. and yeah, we get lits, where she has some depth and reality...then this. where she's just boobs filling out a tiny little shirt

a waste of a good actress
          I agree on all points. I was kind of rooting for Amy/Cam. A relationship that won't just be a set up for something else. And it would end Cam/Sam speculation. I like them as friends.

I really liked CB on Farscape & I think they've done her a major disservice on SG1. The (adolescent) writers can't seem to get beyond her body and so called "humor" to develop the character. She can be a well developed character and still look good. Look at Sam--AT looks great even in cammo.
          It may be b/c I'm a Sam/AT fan (and female ) but I thought Sam looked way better than Vala in this ep. This is not a knock on CB, just a comment on how scantily clad is not the be all and end all...

Comment

i still have issues with vala being this great con artist...who can't fit in without making a spectacle of herself.

i feel sorry for her because i hate situatios where the charactgers make asses of themsleves. and poor vala is a contant butt of every hormonally charged joke they can come up with

there is more to being a woman than prancing around in tight shirts and short shorts. and these boys, in perpetrating their 'fun' with her simply further this whole 'women are nothing more than sex objects' fallacy that plagues our world.

it's a shame

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              I agree on all points. I was kind of rooting for Amy/Cam. A relationship that won't just be a set up for something else. And it would end Cam/Sam speculation. I like them as friends.

I really liked CB on Farscape & I think they've done her a major disservice on SG1. The (adolescent) writers can't seem to get beyond her body and so called "humor" to develop the character. She can be a well developed character and still look good. Look at Sam--AT looks great even in cammo.
              It may be b/c I'm a Sam/AT fan (and female ) but I thought Sam looked way better than Vala in this ep. This is not a knock on CB, just a comment on how scantily clad is not the be all and end all
              Sam is usually allowed to look dignified and classy, something that is often denied to Vala for the sake of cheap laughs and adolescent fantasies.

While I'm convinced that AT is pretty much physically incapable of looking bad, even she couldn't carry off pigtails and a Daisy Duke costume without making Sam look ridiculous - unless maybe it was Hallowe'en but even then it would be pushing it.

Vala would have been much better off as a character if TPTB had been provided with some Barbie dolls to play dress-up with and could treat Vala with more respect.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

i still have issues with vala being this great con artist...who can't fit in without making a spectacle of herself.
                I refuse to believe that someone who is apparently intelligent and resourceful enough to take out the crew of the Prometheus is also stupid enough to regale complete strangers with no knowledge of the SGC with stories of her alien past.

Sacrificing characters for the sake of the plot is bad enough, sacrificing them for the sake of a dumb joke screams "GET SOME NEW PTB NOW!"

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  I find its like the writers are shooting themselves in the foot They give us an episode like LITS, where they actually finally write Vala really well. She shows depth and compassion, we see a hint of what the character could have been like had she been written well throughout the show.

Then we get Bounty,

Spoiler:
                  I find myself asking if this character suffers from multiple personality disorder She is now made into a joke, that's the only way to describe Daisy Duke Vala in this episode. Not only is she the butt of the jokes, but the whole episode was a very bad farce. Were we watching SG1, or Saturday morning cartoons? Even the alien bad guys were more suited to cartoons than the once intense dramatic series of Stargate SG1, where yes we had humour, but it was intelligent, in character humour. We knew how are our characters should react when put in certain situations, now its a guess to see who is going to show up and what they are going to do...and we only hope to see glimpses of the characters we once knew as members of SG1
                  That's it - it was like reading a comic book - (I used to like comic books when I was 9 - that was in the 50's but don't tell anyone)
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                    Nell IMO SG-1 and Atlantis has become about TPTB being buddy buddy with certain Actors and giving those Actors all the screen time. TPTB have a little click going on like in High School. I do not watch Atlantis though I heard McKay made a character in a game that is like Sam. I though McKay was getting help for his Sam obession? If he is it's not working.
                    I don't know about the buddy buddy stuff. But, they are putting their eggs into the wrong basket with Vala. FCOL when we see the ratings it is soooo clear! Jack's absence did not kill the show. The dynamics between the characters or lack thereof and a weak evil enemy are among the culprits.

BTW McKay is not a threat no matter his obsession.
                    sigpic

Comment

i'm wondering if it's more along the line of amanda, with 10 years of senority, has an easier job of saying 'umm, no i will not wear that' than poor claudia who, a newbie, has less bargaining power and - like amanda in s1 - kinda has to do what they tell her to do

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's a case of who has more bargaining tools. Vala--as a character is every sixteen year old boy's corny dream.

The character is flawed beyond repair. She reflects cooper's inability to stick to a decision. First the character was a kick butt, con artist and thief who could beat the crap out of Daniel.

Then she was eye candy for season 9.

Then she was a corner stone in the Ori story line. Then she was Daniel's side kick. Then she was a scared child inside. Then she was a fish out of water and tried very hard to fit in only to look stupid.

Then Vala became the comedy star and pop culture Jack-like girl. Then Vala was seen as someone trying to save the souls of innocent people and an expert on ascension and the Ori themselves.

Now Vala is the naive do-gooder with a secret past that comes back to haunt her.

There is no consistency with the character.

If this woman was real she would have never passed the pysc test with the ink blots!
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

in other words....coops is so busy making the characters what he needs them to be, that he can't see that he makes them unsustainable in their sheer 'everythingness'

he's so busy making them everything that he makes them nothing. He spreads them so thin that they have no substance

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                            That's it - it was like reading a comic book - (I used to like comic books when I was 9 - that was in the 50's but don't tell anyone)
                            you know-I still like comic books-i am a big Supergirl fan-but i was never a real fan of the slapstick silly humor-still not-

i don't mind the humor that is inserted in the shows-sometimes it really drove home a point-I watched by B5 dvd today and there were a few scenes that were hysterical-but fit in what they were doing.

I don't understand what the people behind this show are trying to do or trying to prove. I wonder sometimes if they themselves have any idea-the meandering of the storyline is confusing and aggravating and maybe because I really expect something to make sense that it makes me nuts when it doesn't
                            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

i'm wondering if it's more along the line of amanda, with 10 years of senority, has an easier job of saying 'umm, no i will not wear that' than poor claudia who, a newbie, has less bargaining power and - like amanda in s1 - kinda has to do what they tell her to do
                              but does CB really need to do this show? She is a more established actress than AT was 10 years ago. (I hadn't heard about AT, MS or CJ before this show)-so one would think that CB might be able to say-are you nuts?
                              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

but she is new person on the totem pole

then again, maybe she just likes it??? it can be very flattering for a person

I'm not trying to cast aspersions on her as a person at all.

it's also possible, well amanda can say 'sam woudln't wear that' and we have 10 years of canon that sam wouldn't wear that

but we don't have that with vala. what we have with vala is her doing whatever the heck she wants when she wants...so no ammo if claudia says 'vala wouldn't wear that' cause we have no guidelines to follow

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X