S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
    Yeah that is just another example of how they used the existing characters to pimp the new ones. You know that was so unbelievable. Sam goes from barely tolerating Vala to telling her she deserves a spot on the team.

Isn't funny how both of the new characters need justification for their existence from the existing characters. If they were written better, no justification would be needed.
    Yup, just goes to show that these characters cannot stand on their own in any way, shape or form. They would fall flat like cardboard cutouts if they weren't propped up by the other characters (though they already fall flat to me).

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
      I wouldn't put it past them to have done that. I thought I was looking at a different character in the first scene which he appeared in Avalon. His attitude just seemed totally different. Granted, it was a scene between him and Mitchell and I totally understood why he would rather go to Atlantis than do this "getting the band back together" stuff, but if that was really Daniel I think he would have come across a bit differently. Maybe it's just me...

It makes me a bit sad because he used to have such great interaction with Sam and Teal'c in the scenes they appeared in (either the three of them together or just Daniel with one of them). Now it's like they happen to be standing near each other and deal with each other out of necessity. TPTB are having too much fun with the Vaniel thing and have either gotten bored with showing the old friendships or they think they've been played to death.

If they didn't get higher than a 1.4 rating for the mid-season premiere, I would not be surprised.
      That is sad, these characters cared deeply about each other, and now with Daniel it does seem off. I think one of the best character moments was in s9's Ethon, when Teal'c found out Sam was alive, the way they looked at each other and how Teal'c just kept holding her. I beleive this came from the actors and not the script
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524 View Post
        Ahem! I don't know that I'd refer to FS as a "rogue little production." Well, rogue for certain, but the show was produced by The Jim Henson company (no MGM, true), worked on by directors and costumers from things as various as The Matrix and King Kong, and directed by Australian film directors and required hundreds of people on set just to get it right. Blame it on the puppets

I think that rogue tone also gave it the opportunity to break out of the mold.

But...I digress
        FS not only was produced by The Jim Henson Company, it was also supported and aired in UK by BBC 2 (no commercial breaks). Farscape's audience in UK was definitely much bigger than in USA or Stargate's audience in UK (Sky One is exclusive - cable/digital platforms channel).
        T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
          FS not only was produced by The Jim Henson Company, it was also supported and aired in UK by BBC 2 (no commercial breaks). Farscape's audience in UK was definitely much bigger than in USA or Stargate's audience in UK (Sky One is exclusive - cable/digital platforms channel).
          Well that's a moot point, since it was cancelled in the U.S.
          Last edited by Mandysg1; 25 October 2006, 08:00 AM.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            what a novel idea

IMHO, mitch's CMOH is a prime example of 'man, ok we gotta make the guy a hero. let's give him a medal. anyone know a good one?' and they just pulled the name of a medal out of their heads and used it. and did little to no reserach on it, and if the AF advisor got his hands on the idea, he either was ignored or is ignorant about the medal as well.

the CMOH is NOT handed out lightly, it is a graet honor and there's a reason that a good chunk of them are awarded posthumously.

they shoulda stuck with the Air Medal like Sam and Jack got back in s2. course, giving mitch the same medal wouldn't have made him 'better' than her, and it's all about making him 'better'...even if 'better' is also unbelievable
            I would have been happier if Mitchell's was handed out postumously (feeling mean today)
            sigpic
            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              That is sad, these characters cared deeply about each other, and now with Daniel it does seem off. I think one of the best character moments was in s9's Ethon, when Teal'c found out Sam was alive, the way they looked at each other and how Teal'c just kept holding her. I beleive this came from the actors and not the script
              i think most of not all of the character interaction bits have come from the actors

the writers and directors are incessantly dropping that 'meaningless character bits' in favor of the plot..and just can't get it that we're more interested in the people than we are the Bori
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                I would have been happier if Mitchell's was handed out postumously (feeling mean today)
                It would have been nice also, if Hammond was visiting the base the day Vala came a knockin and said "That's the woman who tried to steal my ship and kill my crew, don't let her anywhere near this planet."
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
                  Henson Production company is still considered a very little rouge production company of it’s parent Disney. It’s considered small peanuts compared to ABC and Disney’s other numerous TV and Movie production companies which are too numerous to list here.
                  Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    what a novel idea

IMHO, mitch's CMOH is a prime example of 'man, ok we gotta make the guy a hero. let's give him a medal. anyone know a good one?' and they just pulled the name of a medal out of their heads and used it. and did little to no reserach on it, and if the AF advisor got his hands on the idea, he either was ignored or is ignorant about the medal as well.

the CMOH is NOT handed out lightly, it is a graet honor and there's a reason that a good chunk of them are awarded posthumously.

they shoulda stuck with the Air Medal like Sam and Jack got back in s2. course, giving mitch the same medal wouldn't have made him 'better' than her, and it's all about making him 'better'...even if 'better' is also unbelievable
                    I think it's funny how the CMOH, intended to endear Mitchell to the audience, has backfired.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Doable.

At the end of Season Ten/one of the DVD movies, we see Mitchell fall in battle, the scene shifts to Mitchell's F-302 after he was shot down in the battle of Antarctica. His eyes close. Seasons Nine and Ten have been a fantasy sequence playing out in the seconds before he died.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        Doable.

At the end of Season Ten/one of the DVD movies, we see Mitchell fall in battle, the scene shifts to Mitchell's F-302 after he was shot down in the battle of Antarctica. His eyes close. Seasons Nine and Ten have been a fantasy sequence playing out in the seconds before he died.
                        Excellent idea.
                        Next scene O'Neill getting out of the shower!!
                        sigpic
                        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Excellent idea.
                          Next scene O'Neill getting out of the shower!!
                          Jack and Sam getting out of the shower.

Comment

Jack and Sam getting out of the shower.
                            But where does that leave Bobby
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Doable.

lol

it's mitch's morphine enduced fantasy as he clings to life at McMurdo

sigpic

Comment

I think it's funny how the CMOH, intended to endear Mitchell to the audience, has backfired.
                                the old adage, show don't tell is needed

don't TELL me how super mitch is, SHOW me and let me discover it for myself. If i convince myself first, i'll stay convinced. You try to convince me and i'll doubt and question out of sheer ornriness

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X