S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    I couldn't quite make that out when I was reading it, was it said by the interviewer? If so then you know they don't watch the show, they are given a synopses from TPTB and believe what they read.
    Okay - my bad. When you said this I went back to check and it does appear to be something written in by the author (yes a pimp job by the people who are desperate to make the show work by telling fans how great it is as opposed to showing them. I have deleted my previous post since it was not accurate.
    Last edited by binkpmmc; 27 October 2006, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
      from what i read, they said that they researched the arthurian legends-didn't they mention using Mallory?
      They saw Spam-a-lot
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

from what i read, they said that they researched the arthurian legends-didn't they mention using Mallory?
        Head***********************Desk************************Head********************* Desk

That explains SO much. They did no research at all.

The would have done better picking up Mary Stewarts “The Hollow Hills” series or Jack Whyte’s “Sky Stone” series. At least there’s solid historical research the writers did as the back bone of both those stories. The would have gotten the *&^$@ time line right at least.

Ugh!
        Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
          They saw Spam-a-lot
          -Howl- That was pretty much what I thought too.
          Jack O’Neill: When it absolutely, positively, needs mocked, shot, or destroyed overnight!

Comment

They saw Spam-a-lot
            Monty Python?
            Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Crow T. Robot View Post
              Head***********************Desk************************Head********************* Desk

That explains SO much. They did no research at all.

The would have done better picking up Mary Stewarts “The Hollow Hills” series or Jack Whyte’s “Sky Stone” series. At least there’s solid historical research the writers did as the back bone of both those stories. The would have gotten the *&^$@ time line right at least.

Ugh!
              heck, they coulda watched Mists of Avalon and got a better idea (cept there are too many girls in that one)

taht's the biggest problem with arthurian legends, theyare way too well known, thus there is very little wiggle room

not to mention that these are legends that are near and dear to folks' hearts thus they are more likely to be defensive about them
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Monty Python?
                Yeah. Spam-A-Lot is the broadway version of Monty Python’s “Holy Grail”.

Not sure if it’s hopped off of broadway or not.... GREAT Show. It will have you falling out of your seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  taht's the biggest problem with arthurian legends, theyare way too well known, thus there is very little wiggle room
                  My biggest problem is with the *&^%$ time line. Historically the original Arthur’s pegged around 535 A.D. The Kingdom of Camelot it’s self wasn’t introduced in to the legend until the Norman’s hit the island with William. When the Ancients are suppose to have predated Egypt..... You’ve got big issues with continuity and your time line here.

It’s kind of insulting too because not only is Arthur’s timeline taught in just about every High School English class. Come on..... Star Gate’s audience is Sci Fi fans! We’re a fan base that probably knows the legends better than anyone else out there.

If you can’t beat the standards (and Star Gate is no where close) it’s best to just stick away from them.

Comment

and yes, the time line is the other HUGE issue.

arthur is too recent, by a couple of thousand years like you said.

this this whole 10,000 years thing kinda goes out the window when the myth is only told 1000 years ago 'real' time
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, Stargate screwed up the Arthurian Legends. But They attempted to explain it away, by claiming that there was some ascending/descending going on.

Spoiler:
                      In "Pegasus Project", Morgan Le Fay claimed that Moros/Myrdin (aka: Merlin) ascended after returning to Earth, 10,000 years ago. Then, 8-9000 years later, he 'Descended' to create his Weapon against the Ori.

And that, according to the Writers, is how the myth fits into their version of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Kull_Warrior9876 View Post
                        Yes, Stargate screwed up the Arthurian Legends. But They attempted to explain it away, by claiming that there was some ascending/descending going on.

Spoiler:
                        In "Pegasus Project", Morgan Le Fay claimed that Moros/Myrdin (aka: Merlin) ascended after returning to Earth, 10,000 years ago. Then, 8-9000 years later, he 'Descended' to create his Weapon against the Ori.

And that, according to the Writers, is how the myth fits into their version of reality.
                        Well that doesn't help much because Colonel Mitchell also fits into their version of reality.

Man, I'm in a snarky mood tonight.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                          Well that doesn't help much because Colonel Mitchell also fits into their version of reality.

Man, I'm in a snarky mood tonight.
                          Bwahahahaha!

As a side note: DK Publishing put out a book by Kathleen Ritter called Stargate SG-1: The Ultimate Visual Guide It had a CD-ROm with stills from the show.

Meh. Nicely put together and a great basic introduction to the show, but it's nothing we don't already know. RDA mentioned this book in his recent Starlog article. He wrote the foreword. At least that was amusing.

What made me laugh was the last two pages. They cover S9. And introduce Mitchell as getting the team back togethe but never even hint he was supposed to be lead. I don't think it even mentions his CMoH. Suse was amused.

Suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

They saw Spam-a-lot
                            Well that explains Cam-a-lot. T'was a very silly place.

Suse
                            who wants to see the musical
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Kull_Warrior9876 View Post
                              Sorry their timeline is still screwed.

They are NOT accounting for the elements of this story that actually were added later. Like Camelot that was based on the French royal court and there’s NO hint of it in the original legend until the Normans hit the island in 1066.

Let’s see Excalibur’s roots are Irish and weren’t introduced in to the legend until Irish war lords like Niall of the Nine Hostages (You may know him as the legendary founder of the O'Neill clan) conquered all England and Scotland and part of France. They introduced the elements of what would become Excalibur, the Holy Grail, Merlin’s crystal cave, and the sleeping king that would return again in Britain’s hour of need. Let’s see they date Niall about 342-402 AD. Arthur himself is dated around 535 AD.

Here’s the biggest thing for me:

Why would Merlin go hide among the Celts? The Ancients by continuity were supposedly the Gods of Rome. The Romans and the Celts were enemies. The Celts and the Greeks weren't on all that friendly terms either.

http://www.gallica.co.uk/celts/timeline.htm

Wouldn’t that imply that Merlin was NOT a friend to his own people? But Daniel their cultural expert and expert on anicent cultures keeps forgetting these facts? Isn’t that convenient.
                              Last edited by Crow T. Robot; 28 October 2006, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                                Suse
                                who wants to see the musical
                                I went and saw it in New York. Talk about a hoot! It’s well worth the money to go see the show. I was hymning the "Ballad of Sir Chicken” for days afterward.
                                Last edited by Crow T. Robot; 28 October 2006, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X