S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    I'm of the same opinion. I'm not going to even bother with Coop's effort unless someone whose opinion I trust informs me that it is worth the time & effort. Continuum has me interested enough so that I'll check it out and buy it if I like it.
    Same here. I really don't have any interest in Barf of Truth.

I've heard they have a trailer for it online at the MGM Stargate site. Since I know what BoT is all about I doubt I'll miss anything by giving it a look.

Feeling somewhat better about Continuum though.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
      You know, that would be great if they actuallt would take in all that input and make some changes to please more of the fans they lost. But, I have no big hope they would even read them. Or they would, and just ignore them.
      TPTB making changes? Are we talking about TPTB that are currently running Atlantis, with on of the two showrunners calling people with negative opinions "Lemmings"? That PTB?

Accepting criticism would be admiting they made a mistake, and we all know that the B@B don't make mistakes. Instead we are the ones mistaken and misguided because we don't see the beauty and complexity of their characters and storylines. We fail to to that their "Deus ex Machina" solutions in the last minute of an episode are in fact the very solutions the team worked very hard on the entire episode and are very clever solutions to the problems at hand.

Instead of nitpicking their excellent writing and complaining about how they are wrecking characters, we should be happy, if not exstatic, that all the characters survive each and every episode unscathed. And instead of complaining about how annoying Vala is when she's paired with Daniel and how her IQ seems to drop 60 points when she's with him, we should be thanking the B@B for adding her and thus giving Daniel more depth and make him look even more intelligent.

Yes, the moral of this story is simple: Instead of whining and acting like snobs we should worship at the altar of the B@B and be glad that they write episodes for us.

Spoiler:
      In case some people fail to get it, this entire post is filled with cynicism and sarcasm.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Daniel has been so OOC in the two years that his character has been assassinated for the sake of making Action Jackson look good. Even when Vala was not around in season 9...Daniel was not Daniel--but Action Jackson the wanna be action hero--not Daniel.

Daniel died in season 8 along with the rest of SG-1.

Sam died, Teal'c died and Jack died--not just for Mobius....but for the series.

Sam became a dumb blond, Teal'c became mr. macho, Jack became few and far between with lack luster performance.

All of SG-1 died in season 8.

9 and 10 is just a bad nightmare.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Most of the time they made Sam either dumb to faciliate what can loosely be called a plot, or just made her irrelevant to the episode. It makes me wonder why AT would sign on again (or more accurately not try to break her contract), unless JM & PM made some good promises. Of course RCC not at the helm day to day may have helped. And steady work is good, I guess. When you're an actor you never know when it will dry up.

Comment

I have the impression that TPTB wanted Sam for SGA for some time now. I also think AT has been looking forward to going to SGA for sometime now.

I think TPTB were just too afraid to put AT on SGA back in season 9 of SG-1-- perhaps TPTB thought the fans might have an even bigger cow? Maybe they feared having a huge drop in viewers if they moved AT to SGA then--but I guess they never anticipated the huge drop they got anyways.
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post

Yes, the moral of this story is simple: Instead of whining and acting like snobs we should worship at the altar of the B@B and be glad that they write episodes for us.

LOL

Maybe that's the whole point of the Bori. Written subconsciously by
              B & B. A snipe at the fans who were unhappy only it's kind of backfired.
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

i gotta agree. I think with the whole 'we don't know what to do with you' comment from coop and sam's near total lack of any meaningful story, i think coop wanted to get rid of sam with season 9, but kinda got 'stuck' with her...because she was more popular amongst fans than he thought she was

I think he was 'forced' to keep sam on sg1, whether he wanted to or not

(i am NOT saying that coop has an issue with AMANDA, but with the character of sam)

she doesn't fit his 'frat boy' sense of humor, and, without a guy to ship her with, well in coop's visioni of women, she's not much good, now is she??
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  i gotta agree. I think with the whole 'we don't know what to do with you' comment from coop and sam's near total lack of any meaningful story, i think coop wanted to get rid of sam with season 9, but kinda got 'stuck' with her...because she was more popular amongst fans than he thought she was

(i am NOT saying that coop has an issue with AMANDA, but with the character of sam)

she doesn't fit his 'frat boy' sense of humor, and, without a guy to ship her with, well in coop's visioni of women, she's not much good, now is she??
                  I also agree that Sam wasn't in his plans. His vision of Sg-1 didn't involve anyone with any degree of intelligence, male or female.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                    I also agree that Sam wasn't in his plans. His vision of Sg-1 didn't involve anyone with any degree of intelligence, male or female.
                    That's because they became a bunch of screw-ups, I never considered Teal'c a screw-up
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

me neither...but he did play a good 'straight man' to the 'jokes'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        That's because they became a bunch of screw-ups, I never considered Teal'c a screw-up
                        Even though he was mostly wallpaper, I really didn't think less of Teal'c in S9 or 10. I got the impression that Mitchell never earned Teal'c loyalty or respect.
                        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          Daniel has been so OOC in the two years that his character has been assassinated for the sake of making Action Jackson look good. Even when Vala was not around in season 9...Daniel was not Daniel--but Action Jackson the wanna be action hero--not Daniel.
                          They had to do something, their hewo wasn't received well, which is a shame since Mitchell had some potential if only he had been written better, so they had to create a new hewo character, a character they knew was liked by a lot of people: Daniel Jackson. And on top of that, every change in Jacko's personality could be explained by him being forcefully descended and, ofcourse, him hating the Ori because he was an Ascended (See of it as latent knowledge), so why try to error correct something when you have such a perfect character to work with?

Sam became a dumb blond, Teal'c became mr. macho, Jack became few and far between with lack luster performance.
                          Sam became a plot-device with the mission of babbling technobabble the moment a deus-ex-machina solution was needed.

Teal'c became even more wallpaper except when either a new Jaffa storyline was needed or when Cambo and Jacko couldn't handle it all.

And Jack, he became some what of a machination used to facilitate the changes and at times acknowledge them, almost as if they needed him to confirm for themselves that what they were doing was good.

Perhaps, but why kill Sam? It's far more convenient to have her acting as wallpaper until technobabble is needed to save the day. That way you don't have to write anything meaningful for but have all the advantages of her.

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
                          LOL

Maybe that's the whole point of the Bori. Written subconsciously by
                          B & B. A snipe at the fans who were unhappy only it's kind of backfired.
                          I know this is in jest, but I'll take it seriously just for fun. If they want to snipe at the unhappy fans they'd have to be far more subtle since a Big Bad Enemy is so cliche and thus countrproductive. Instead, writing in lines such as "I don't care you have a problem with a woman being in charge Mitchell, but I'm the boss so deal with it or leave." would be far more effective since it's character development, thus effectively negating that element of citicism, and it's a snipe at the unhappy fans who, unlike casual viewers, will notice those lines. Also by making Mitchell the newbie who thinks he knows it all, thus portraying the long time and currently unhappy friends, you can do even more amusing snipes such as him getting injured because he failed to listen to people more experienced etc..

Or in short: If you really want to snipe at unhappy fans there are far better ways to do it such as taking away their ammo and using it as a weapon against them.

Then again, I guess the whole point of the Bori arc was to re-use the same medieval set over and over again, and have a relatively young actress walk around in a little clothing as possible.
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                            Even though he was mostly wallpaper, I really didn't think less of Teal'c in S9 or 10. I got the impression that Mitchell never earned Teal'c loyalty or respect.
                            yeah, i got the feeling that teal'c just kinda indulged cam...;possibly because jack told him to tolerate mitch and watch the other guys' backs

sigpic

Comment

He has an issue with the characters he didn't create. That includes Jack, Teal'c and Sam. It used to include Daniel too, but he replaced him with Action Jackson - his own creation...
                              Off-topic: What's really bugging me is that RCC seems to be able to create something watchable when he applies himself - "Doppelganger" was worth watching once even though there are plenty of things one can have issues with it. So either he's lazy or he's head over heels with his own creation...

Comment

i think coop works great when he has someone checking his work. but when he's his own editor, there's no one to say 'umm, dude, that line sucks'

I don't think he can step out of his self-focus to take a good hard look at his own work

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X