No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS talked about the chemistry him and CB had and maybe as actors there was chemistry, but for me it didn't translate on the screen with their characters.
    he may have seen chemistry. but from m y pov, what i was was vala subordinated to facilitate daniel's new Jackson Personna.

vala was turned into a submissive to make jackson look more 'studly'

so maybe it was seen as chemistry from the recipient and benefactor and dominant part of the pairing. But from the pov of a female...i just saw a waste of a character beause one shouldnt be sacrificed to make another look good
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
      You own a shoe-factory - you don't promote your best worker to manager 'cause being a worker and being a manager require different kind of skills... Just MHO
      It's a shame that the Peter Principle - I think I must have mentioned this principle about a dozen times already - applies as it states: "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.".

Bridge is an hierarchy which explains why good writers can become bad producers.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

i'm all for promoting from within. And, in this case, doing so to - i presume - keep the flavor of the show instaed of teh drastic changes a new, outside, show runner would bring

but, you know, sometimes you have to accept that just because you want to doa job doesn't mean that you CAN do it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i'm all for promoting from within. And, in this case, doing so to - i presume - keep the flavor of the show instaed of teh drastic changes a new, outside, show runner would bring
          but, you know, sometimes you have to accept that just because you want to doa job doesn't mean that you CAN do it.
          hmmm, so much for that.
          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Guess it would be considered bad form to rewrite an former show runner's episode contribution...

ETA: I recently watched a classic episode. It was even a Coop ep. I'd forgotten how much pleasure I got out of Stargate.

suse
            Isn't that so weird. I think about the show and I think "it can never be the same for me TPTB killed it." But when I catch a classic ep it is the same, awesome show it always was. All the good feelings, all the class feel. Only after the ep is over to I again think of how TPTB killed it.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
              hmmm, so much for that.
              lol

i know

all i can guess is that coop, after years of gekko saying 'umm, no' decided to do a full fledged teenage rebel and did all he could to change the show and 'make it his'

which would be fine

if 'his' was something that more of the viewers found paletable.

he miscalculated. quite badly

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the thing is that RCC can be quite a good writer. I've always found the ancients the least interesting, but that's always been his favorite area. So it's not surprising when he got control that's the direction he'd go. But who's going to tell you they're boring when you're the boss?
                Who's going to tell you SG1 is a science fiction show, not an action comedy when you're the boss?
                Who's going to tell you Daniel's not in character when it means mega screen time for you?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  Yeah, the thing is that RCC can be quite a good writer. I've always found the ancients the least interesting, but that's always been his favorite area. So it's not surprising when he got control that's the direction he'd go. But who's going to tell you they're boring when you're the boss?
                  Who's going to tell you SG1 is a science fiction show, not an action comedy when you're the boss?
                  Who's going to tell you Daniel's not in character when it means mega screen time for you?
                  Um...Brad, but he was busy with Atlantis

Oh that's it Atlantis killed SG1
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

But who's going to tell you they're boring when you're the boss?
                    the real question is, if someone tells you, will you listen?

sigpic

Comment

the real question is, if someone tells you, will you listen?
                      Very true. Telling the boss that he's making a bad move is difficult enough, but if you know that he's not going to listen, who'll bother speaking up?

It's a bit like Mitchell, really; by the end of Season Nine, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c just rolled their eyes and humoured him instead of arguing or pointing out how dumb his ideas were - but given that when they did advise him against a course of action in "Stronghold" and "Off The Grid" to name a couple, he went ahead regardless, can they really be blamed for not continuing to bash their heads against a brick wall?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                        These guys seem to only write what they enjoy up to the point where it takes over the show. Banter is great between characters and some pairings have a certain chemistry but it needs to be in small doses. If you like that pairing your in heaven, if not then there isn't much for you to enjoy. For me, I never got into the Vaniel pairing. I thought it was forced from the beginning. MS talked about the chemistry him and CB had and maybe as actors there was chemistry, but for me it didn't translate on the screen with their characters.
                        Vaniel never made sense to me given Vala's sexual harassment of Daniel. That nobody ever confronted her about it only made it that much worse.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                          Vaniel never made sense to me given Vala's sexual harassment of Daniel. That nobody ever confronted her about it only made it that much worse.
                          TPTB made a joke out of the whole thing. Vala hitting on Daniel endlessly with no recourse. Of course, they popped thier own bubble when Vala ended up in bed with Daniel in Unending. After that--there was nothing left for Vala to do to Daniel.

Kind of like--taming of the shrew--but Daniel was the shrew.

I'm grateful they didn't take Vala's sexual escapades any further. The last thing we would have needed was Vala getting raped or Vala sleeping with a teenage boy...of course TPTB would think Vala and a teenage boy would be funny, though I find the thought disturbing.

They thought Vala as a thief was funny too. I found it just stupid.

Anyone person who knows anything about criminal behavior and crooks would know there are different types of thief and motives.

Vala as a witty hijacking space pirate really is lame over all. No "professional" thief would bother to hijacking a well armed military vessel. There is no money in that feat--if it could be pulled off.

Then their was the scene in the museum where she pulls out a glass cutter and suction cup from her back pack. If they meant to show Vala as a badly skilled thief, they accomplished that task.

Rules of being a thief:

1. Never get caught
                          2. think like a cop
                          3. never leave a single cell behind or strand of hair.
                          4. never rob a bank in the middle of broad daylight with a gun and the bank is full of people.
                          5. Swiss Bank account=friend.
                          6. Need to be computer literate
                          7. there is no such thing as a victim less crime--so, go big.
                          8. Understand the rules of investigation for your crime will be investigated.
                          9. Do not make yourself the center of attention.
                          10. Live beneath your means and don't brag about what you stole or how you stole it.

yep, Colonel Carter would make the perfect thief.
                          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I don't think they thought out Vala beyond--let's put CB in tight clothes and have her make "funny" sexual comments. Vala could have been a really interesting character if they hadn't started with PeeYuu.

Let's see what we know about her from what was written:
                            --a former host rejected by her people who don't understand she's no longer Quetesh
                            --she turns to crime to survive

Some possibilities of making her a serious character:

She could have become a ruthless leader bent on revenge--a non-goa'uld, goauld-- a tough opponent for SG1

--She could have been a tough opponent leading the Lucien Alliance (if they had made it more threatening than they did)

she could have been a criminal who came into contact with SG1 and became a sometime ally--when it suited her

She could have become an actual ally and dealt with her past, possibly bonding with Carter over the whole former host thing

In any of these scenarios I think CB could have shown more of her acting skills and nothing says she couldn't have made smart remarks etc.

Comment

very true. they got lost in the jokes and did the character a HUGE disservice because of it

all i can hope is that some of this is remidied by fans in fanfic.

unfortunately, most of the vala fic i see is nothing but an extension of vaniel...where she's there to sleep with daniel and little more

sigpic

Comment

very true. they got lost in the jokes and did the character a HUGE disservice because of it

all i can hope is that some of this is remidied by fans in fanfic.

unfortunately, most of the vala fic i see is nothing but an extension of vaniel...where she's there to sleep with daniel and little more
                                I'll say...all I see is Daniel/Vala fics and none thing that has Vala as a person without Daniel. very few pairings of vala with Mitchell or Sam. Fewer fics at all with Teal'c--with anyone--not romantic either.

I am dabbing in a fan fic idea where Teal'c has to solve a crime or catch a killer--maybe a serial killer using the gate as his avenue to his prey?

But how to set Teal'c up as a primary character is very difficult with the Stargate Command setting and the Bori.

I would like Teal'c to use the deduction method of crime solving--though in reality it's not very effective.

Carter could do the forensics, Daniel could do the culture reference, if I put Jack in it the story becomes more Jack centered. Maybe have Jack accused of a crime his didn't commit while off world?

I will have to research how the military goes about solving crime.

Anyways, Vala is just arm decor for Daniel for most of season 10--why would impressionable fic writers break that mold?
                                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X