Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    they shoulda let him be 44.
    I don't think it would've made a difference. Characters don't show up on screen and say "Colonel Mitchell, age 44, reporting for duty". Usually their ages come out in oblique dialogue references later in the series that most viewers will either miss or not bother to do the calculations in their head.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
      I don't think it would've made a difference. Characters don't show up on screen and say "Colonel Mitchell, age 44, reporting for duty". Usually their ages come out in oblique dialogue references later in the series that most viewers will either miss or not bother to do the calculations in their head.
      Too bad one of their oblique dialogue references made him an illogical 34/35 year old Lt. Colonel during season 9.
      Last edited by smurf; 26 October 2006, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas21 View Post
        I know there has been some speculation on this thread about an earlier interview where MS said he hadn't signed onto S11 but by this quote it appears that he was expecting for the show to go on and that he'd be included in it for another season. As far as what he says about the show's creativity, well I definitely think that there is plenty of room where they could still tell creative, interesting stories BUT unfortunately I don't think they've been doing a good job of doing that. If they had gone onto a S11 but kept up the same pattern that they have for S9/10 then it'd be pointless...for me at least.
        Not signing an extended contract doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't interested in continuing SG-1, or Stargate in some form or another. Personally, I took it, along with the blah about lack of bargaining power, as a contract gamble. They make another season, and with Daniel front and centre, he may have been in a better negotiating position than if he had already agreed to two years. If they didn't, then no great loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          That is sad, these characters cared deeply about each other, and now with Daniel it does seem off. I think one of the best character moments was in s9's Ethon, when Teal'c found out Sam was alive, the way they looked at each other and how Teal'c just kept holding her. I beleive this came from the actors and not the script
          I agree. I also loved the scene in Heroes Part 2 where Sam was upset and didn't know what to say at Janet's memorial service. Then Teal'c gave her that piece of paper and just hugged her as she cried. That was very nice.

Comment

i think most of not all of the character interaction bits have come from the actors

the writers and directors are incessantly dropping that 'meaningless character bits' in favor of the plot..and just can't get it that we're more interested in the people than we are the Bori
            I wouldn't doubt it. I know Amanda said at the Shore Leave con that she and Chris and Michael have tried to get little moments between the three - mostly looks and stuff, and she's hoping they (tptb) keep them in there.

Also iirc, either Amanda or Michael or both weren't happy with the rather disinterested way Daniel greeted Sam in Full Circle. They filmed a scene where Sam asks why Daniel didn't visit her like he did Jack and Teal'c, and he said because she didn't need him like they did. I wish that hadn't ended up on the cutting room floor. I think it needed to be in the ep. If it was too long, they could have shortened it to the point where it would still project what they want to say. I was glad that they spoke up about that though because that part bothered me - NOT as a S/D shipper, but as someone who likes their friendship onscreen.

Comment

what i meant was, they shoulda let him ACT like he was 44, not like an 18 year old hipped up on sugar

if they wanted us to believe that he was a competant hero and fearless leader, they shoulda shown us, not just told us

Jack was given teh basic backstory, then rda filled it in and showed us what a good leader jack was.

we didn't get shown with mitch, we got told

in the early part of 10, it does appear that they tried to 'fix' thier mistakes, but it was too little too late.

if tptb were really concerned about mitch's reception, they shoulda paid more attention to early reception to the character a year ago and tweaked him a bit while they still had time to fix him.

but they did a 'jack' and stuck their fingers in their ears and hummed loudly and repeated teh mantra 'they jsut need time to warm up to cam's greatness' and ignored the warning signs

and the character and show has suffered because of it
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

what i meant was, they shoulda let him ACT like he was 44, not like an 18 year old hipped up on sugar

if they wanted us to believe that he was a competant hero and fearless leader, they shoulda shown us, not just told us

Jack was given teh basic backstory, then rda filled it in and showed us what a good leader jack was.

we didn't get shown with mitch, we got told

in the early part of 10, it does appear that they tried to 'fix' thier mistakes, but it was too little too late.

if tptb were really concerned about mitch's reception, they shoulda paid more attention to early reception to the character a year ago and tweaked him a bit while they still had time to fix him.

but they did a 'jack' and stuck their fingers in their ears and hummed loudly and repeated teh mantra 'they jsut need time to warm up to cam's greatness' and ignored the warning signs

and the character and show has suffered because of it
                Yeah, I think they blew it right from the start of S9. They put too much attention on a guest star (VALA) and left Mitchell in the background. When Vala left the damage was done, and the writers seemed to have forgotten to tell us anything about Mitchell. I felt like we should already know this guy, but had no clue who he really is, I actually get that feeling sometimes from the others on SG1 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas21 View Post
                  I know there has been some speculation on this thread about an earlier interview where MS said he hadn't signed onto S11 but by this quote it appears that he was expecting for the show to go on and that he'd be included in it for another season. As far as what he says about the show's creativity, well I definitely think that there is plenty of room where they could still tell creative, interesting stories BUT unfortunately I don't think they've been doing a good job of doing that. If they had gone onto a S11 but kept up the same pattern that they have for S9/10 then it'd be pointless...for me at least.
                  I did find that interview interesting. It makes me wonder if he was sort of changing his tune since this interview took place after the cancellation. I think the one where he said he hadn't signed onto S11 was before they got the news. I think he did pretty much the same thing last year, though. He hadn't yet signed on for S10 around Nov. and then there was this news that he got an offer for another tv show, or something like that. It whipped some people into a frenzy because they thought that meant he might not come back. They also said on MSOL that he was pretty much a "free agent." I wonder if the fact that he hadn't yet signed on for a S11 was a similar situation?

I agree, I think they could still tell some creative, interesting stories (as long as they're not about the Bori ), but I just don't know if they're really capable of it. Maybe if they'd gotten back some of the old writers they used to have, it could be done. But sadly I don't see that happening.

Well, I can certainly hope that they use the extra time to put together great movies and if they work hard enough to concentrate on the elements that have made the show successful all these years then maybe they can pull it off. However, if they just end up putting in everything that have made up the "not so good" stories then IMO the movies will be a complete waste of time and money. Guess it depends on what the writers think are the "good bits" and what they think are the "not so good bits"...scary thought.
                  I hope so, too, though I'm not very optimistic on the Bori one. I think the time travel one might have potential though. Either way, I'm going to wait until I get some opinions from other people on what they're like before I decide on them.

Comment

As I recall, because I was at Comicon, they already had half the season in the can before Episode 901 even aired. Assuming any reaction to the character wouldn't have gelled for several weeks, that puts them at preparing the end of season 9 already.

Frankly, I did see signs of a more sobre Mitchell at the end of Season 9.

Only daytime soaps, because they literally film two weeks before airdate, get the luxury of what you are talking about--quick tweaking of character and storylines in response to audience reaction.

Comment

i know that. I know that most of s10 was written and being filmed before we even got to see the end of the first half.

and i know that due to the time lag, there is no such thing as a timely response. it just isn't possible.

if there had been a s11, with skiffy's delay this year, s10 would literally be over and done by the time the first half dozen or so eps of s11 could be taped.

so i know that there's not a whole lot that they could do to respond to things, but they coulda tried something.

they took a HUGE risk and gambled and lost, and while i know that they can't do much about the lag time, if they really wanted to get fans' opinions or do this whole 'let's appeal to peopel' bit, they also have very close ties to the fans and could have actually done something to get timely feedback. But i honstly don't think they really care about feedback.

They -at this point in time - still played on the fan boards and seemed to check out the fan response, thus creating an illusion of a relationship. and seem tolove it as long as the fan response is much squeeage...but as soon as the fan response turns south, oops, outta time, gotta go. and then the arrogance comes out and all of a sudden those that don't squee are told that they'er too stupid or have issues

tptb played both sides. they interacted with the fans, creating the illusion of a relationship adn caring about what fans think, then shut said fans down as soon as that feedback isn't what they want to hear and then insult the very same fans

and then they wonder why people don't trust them anymore?

fans in general, of this show have been played wtih and manipulated and used, and many of them have caught onto the antics of tptb and have no real place for them anymore.

fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

sigpic

Comment

Indeed!
                        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

i know that. I know that most of s10 was written and being filmed before we even got to see the end of the first half.

and i know that due to the time lag, there is no such thing as a timely response. it just isn't possible.

if there had been a s11, with skiffy's delay this year, s10 would literally be over and done by the time the first half dozen or so eps of s11 could be taped.

so i know that there's not a whole lot that they could do to respond to things, but they coulda tried something.

they took a HUGE risk and gambled and lost, and while i know that they can't do much about the lag time, if they really wanted to get fans' opinions or do this whole 'let's appeal to peopel' bit, they also have very close ties to the fans and could have actually done something to get timely feedback. But i honstly don't think they really care about feedback.

They -at this point in time - still played on the fan boards and seemed to check out the fan response, thus creating an illusion of a relationship. and seem tolove it as long as the fan response is much squeeage...but as soon as the fan response turns south, oops, outta time, gotta go. and then the arrogance comes out and all of a sudden those that don't squee are told that they'er too stupid or have issues

tptb played both sides. they interacted with the fans, creating the illusion of a relationship adn caring about what fans think, then shut said fans down as soon as that feedback isn't what they want to hear and then insult the very same fans

and then they wonder why people don't trust them anymore?

fans in general, of this show have been played wtih and manipulated and used, and many of them have caught onto the antics of tptb and have no real place for them anymore.

Thats why a good portion of the S/J Shippers have moved on.
                          Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

as have many of the 'old' fans...ie the ones that were there when the show began

slashers, shippers, genners, many of the old time classic fans are gone.

and many of them were the 'backbone' of the fandom. the ones that started sites, ran campaigns, etc

and they were enough of a leader in the fandom that they took other fans with them so that with the dedicated fans gone, all that's left are the less dedicated ones...the ones that come and go and float in and out of fandoms as their interest changes

stargate is no longer 'must see tv' it's become 'eh, nothing better is on' tv

sigpic

Comment

All they needed to do was make him a full colonel - he'd have had to be forty-one or forty-two for that.

Instead, they decided he was born around May 1970.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                                All they needed to do was make him a full colonel - he'd have had to be forty-one or forty-two for that.

Instead, they decided he was born around May 1970.
                                Yep, and Jack's his daddy
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X