No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exactly. the 'team' has been reduced to card board cutouts to facilitiate a plot that coop and the boys are in love with

and they can't/won't see that fans have never been attracted to teh plots, it's been the characters and thier interactions with each other

they didn't just change a few ingredients of the show, they changed the whole recipe...and then are searching for any excuse under the sun to explain away the obvious, (to rip off Heros) 'screw the characters, screw the show'
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      exactly. the 'team' has been reduced to card board cutouts to facilitiate a plot that coop and the boys are in love with

and they can't/won't see that fans have never been attracted to teh plots, it's been the characters and thier interactions with each other

they didn't just change a few ingredients of the show, they changed the whole recipe...and then are searching for any excuse under the sun to explain away the obvious, (to rip off Heros) 'screw the characters, screw the show'
      The storyline is important but for me, the characters are absolutely vital.

I can forgive a show a lot if the characters are interesting, appealing and well-written.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

you can.

look back at the older episodes. was Broca Divide anything less than a twist on Naked Time???? 'alien virus/thingie makes everyone libidenous'

yet it wasn't the purile 'ooh, let's see who goes for whom' that was attractive - to most of us anyway - it was the interactions and seeing how folks handled it that was so interesting.

it was jack and daniel fighting, jack offering himself up as a test subject. daniel, janet and teal'c....the doctor, civilian and alien, having to save the day while the oh so powerful military folks were helpless

that's what made it fun. watching our little humans struggle to overcome without running to the allies or pushing the magic reset switch

sigpic

Comment

you can.

look back at the older episodes. was Broca Divide anything less than a twist on Naked Time???? 'alien virus/thingie makes everyone libidenous'

yet it wasn't the purile 'ooh, let's see who goes for whom' that was attractive - to most of us anyway - it was the interactions and seeing how folks handled it that was so interesting.

it was jack and daniel fighting, jack offering himself up as a test subject. daniel, janet and teal'c....the doctor, civilian and alien, having to save the day while the oh so powerful military folks were helpless

that's what made it fun. watching our little humans struggle to overcome without running to the allies or pushing the magic reset switch
          They haven't exactly been making much of an effort to come up with a way to fight the Ori by themselves. The only people I can think of who tried to come up with anything are Sam and Dr Lee in "The Fourth Horseman".

If SG-1 had sat around and waited for somebody to fight their battles from Day One, they wouldn't have survived their first season.

JACK: And you're sure that Apophis is sending ships to wipe out the planet?
          DANIEL: Yup.
          SAM: What can we do to stop him?
          TEAL'C: Shall we attempt a defence against his attack?
          JACK: Nah, I'm sure somebody else will do it for us - the Tollans have pretty cool weapons, they'll probably help us out.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            They haven't exactly been making much of an effort to come up with a way to fight the Ori by themselves. The only people I can think of who tried to come up with anything are Sam and Dr Lee in "The Fourth Horseman".

If SG-1 had sat around and waited for somebody to fight their battles from Day One, they wouldn't have survived their first season.

JACK: Nah, I'm sure somebody else will do it for us - the Tollans have pretty cool weapons, they'll probably help us out.
            I would have rather them focus on exploring the galaxy. Maybe running up against some of the other baddies they had encountered in the past. When is the last time they encounterd a civilization that is either equal or more advanced than ours?

I agree, SG-1 has gotten lazy because the writters have gotten lazy.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
              I would have rather them focus on exploring the galaxy. Maybe running up against some of the other baddies they had encountered in the past. When is the last time they encounterd a civilization that is either equal or more advanced than ours?

I agree, SG-1 has gotten lazy because the writters have gotten lazy.
              The galaxy is a vast place (I prefer to stay in the MIlky Way) and it could provide fascinating tales till Jack was a great grandpa. If only TPTB had the imagination!
              sigpic
              Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
              My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post

that's jsut it. teh show has changed from the 'little humans that could' to 'tales of the treasure hunters'

cause that's allwe are now, galactic scavenger hunters searching for the next deus ex machina to save us from the 'bigger threat' that keeps popping up

there's nothing really unique in what we're doing. nothing that requires any special or unique skills. we're just on a giant scavenger hunt

we, as in the sgc, doesn't solve any issues on our own, we just endless chase our tails as we look for someone or something to 'save us'

sigpic

Comment

Off topic

THORS CHARIOT IS ON!!!
                  Happy Dance.

Oh I so miss you SG-1.

Teal'c (unlike vala) voluntaring to risk his life, not for money but to save people. SG-1 doing the right thing to SAVE people not steal from them. Solving puzzels, sure transporters do save the day here, but they were waaayyy cooler back then. Amazing even. I love, LOVE Thors Chariot.

EDIT: AND Cool, cool Daniel. Oh how I miss ye.
                  EDIT: AND THEY ALL WORK TOGETHER. All working with their strengths.
                  Teal'c: Giving intel on the Goau'ld and assisting O'Neill.
                  O'Neal: Tactical planing and blowin stuff up.
                  Daniel: Translating, thinking of creative solutions, reading ruins and using his brain to solve a problem and when he gets stuck....
                  Carter: Mathmatical answer to aid Daniel solution. Recognizing holograms. Military time-ing knowing that O'Neill will need help and speeding Daniel up.

Wow, team work, brains, good guys being good guys. Wow.... love it.
                  AND Of course, THOR!!!!!

EDIT: AND I STILL get giddy chills when watching this ep.

I WANT STARGATE SG-1!!!!!!!
                  waaaaaaa
                  Last edited by AGateFan; 01 November 2006, 03:01 PM.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

You know what would be a smart thing for them to do with a plot line? Use those Sodan invisiblity bracelets, transport down to a planet with an Orii ship on the ground, sneak on board one of their ships, take plenty of C4, and strap it onto the ship's power sorce. Watch the Orii ship go boom from space. They did something similar to a Pryamid ship in an earlier episode, it worked then, it could work again. Though I guess that's some of the stratigical guts lost with RDA moving on. Or, they could even do an episode where SG2 goes in to do that. Say Major Coburn, (Who I would love to see again on the show) uses the retuu cloak, went to do that and got caught. SG1, using the sodan one, has to figgure out a way to save him, and while doing that they blow the ship up. Or vice versa with the cloaking device since the Sodan one is of Ancient Origion the Ori might have one as well.

Hmm... maybe I'll use this in one of my fanfics.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros View Post
                      You know what would be a smart thing for them to do with a plot line? Use those Sodan invisiblity bracelets, transport down to a planet with an Orii ship on the ground, sneak on board one of their ships, take plenty of C4, and strap it onto the ship's power sorce. Watch the Orii ship go boom from space. They did something similar to a Pryamid ship in an earlier episode, it worked then, it could work again. Though I guess that's some of the stratigical guts lost with RDA moving on. Or, they could even do an episode where SG2 goes in to do that. Say Major Coburn, (Who I would love to see again on the show) uses the retuu cloak, went to do that and got caught. SG1, using the sodan one, has to figgure out a way to save him, and while doing that they blow the ship up. Or vice versa with the cloaking device since the Sodan one is of Ancient Origion the Ori might have one as well.

Hmm... maybe I'll use this in one of my fanfics.
                      Human ingenuity, that is what missing.

Sam's dumb idea to use the "O'Neill" to bait the replicators.

The writers have got no imagination or creativity. I miss Jack telling Sam to get out the C4. At least he was doing something.

I like my heros to win. They should have changed SG-1 to SG-L for losers.
                      Last edited by Rogue; 01 November 2006, 06:56 PM.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                        Off topic

THORS CHARIOT IS ON!!!
                        Happy Dance.

Oh I so miss you SG-1.

Teal'c (unlike vala) voluntaring to risk his life, not for money but to save people. SG-1 doing the right thing to SAVE people not steal from them. Solving puzzels, sure transporters do save the day here, but they were waaayyy cooler back then. Amazing even. I love, LOVE Thors Chariot.

EDIT: AND Cool, cool Daniel. Oh how I miss ye.
                        EDIT: AND THEY ALL WORK TOGETHER. All working with their strengths.
                        Teal'c: Giving intel on the Goau'ld and assisting O'Neill.
                        O'Neal: Tactical planing and blowin stuff up.
                        Daniel: Translating, thinking of creative solutions, reading ruins and using his brain to solve a problem and when he gets stuck....
                        Carter: Mathmatical answer to aid Daniel solution. Recognizing holograms. Military time-ing knowing that O'Neill will need help and speeding Daniel up.

Wow, team work, brains, good guys being good guys. Wow.... love it.
                        AND Of course, THOR!!!!!

EDIT: AND I STILL get giddy chills when watching this ep.

I WANT STARGATE SG-1!!!!!!!
                        waaaaaaa

That episode was good because it was written by Katharyn Powers. She also wrote:

Emancipation
                        Brief Candle
                        Thor's Hammer
                        Fire and Water
                        Enigma
                        Family
                        Serpent's Song

It seems that a lot of the earlier season epsiodes that created good character development were written by people outside of the family.

Comment

that's jsut it. teh show has changed from the 'little humans that could' to 'tales of the treasure hunters'

cause that's allwe are now, galactic scavenger hunters searching for the next deus ex machina to save us from the 'bigger threat' that keeps popping up

there's nothing really unique in what we're doing. nothing that requires any special or unique skills. we're just on a giant scavenger hunt

we, as in the sgc, doesn't solve any issues on our own, we just endless chase our tails as we look for someone or something to 'save us'

I tend to agree.
                          Spoiler:
                          The Quest reminded me of National Treasure, The Fifth Element, Krull, and Dragonslayer all rolled into one.

There no real thinking involved in the writing that I've seen. It's like a reciepe: "homage" storyline A from this one, add another "homage" from another film/show for storyline B. And so on.

And yes I do miss the days when you saw the thought process of The Team unveil on the screen. Not just an easy out.

Comment

Don't get me started on "homages". Lack of creativity! You could at least dress it up in new clothes. And the heck of it is, the original usually relied more on character interaction than what the PTB put into their "homages". Bleah.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              Don't get me started on "homages". Lack of creativity! You could at least dress it up in new clothes. And the heck of it is, the original usually relied more on character interaction than what the PTB put into their "homages". Bleah.
                              the occasional homage is fun. like the skeleton lying in the sand in enemies/exodus that looked JUST like the one in star wars

kinda cool.

but then comes enemy mine that is a direct rip off of another movie. and then it's scenes, situatinos, seemingly whole tracts of dialogue lifted homaged from every otehr show out there and what was once a 10 times a season joke has turned into a 10 times an episode travesty

to paraphrase ron moore, the key to doing a good homage is to know when to stop, to keep it from being a ripoff

he's figured that out. the B@B still haven't gotten a clue

sigpic

Comment

the B@B still haven't gotten a clue
                                No. What's more frustrating to me is that they keep doing it with their own show. It's become a game - "Guess which episode they using again" - for both Atlantis and SG-1. If I want to watch a particular scene, I'll pull out the DVD. I don't want to watch it rehashed in a new episode. Think of something different, for cryin' out loud.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X