S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    I think they really need some female writers on the show to balance out all the male macho writting. Well, I guess it's too late for that now. Perhaps they will run the script by some female editors before shooting the movies. Doubt it though.
    ain't holding my breath

cause, you know, there's nothing wrong in thier work, we're just too stupid and full of isues to appreciate thier greatness

what's the first step? admitting that you have a problem. As long as they continue to blame anyone down to the caterer for teh show dying, they'll never admit that they are teh source of the problem, so nothing will change
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      ain't holding my breath

cause, you know, there's nothing wrong in thier work, we're just too stupid and full of isues to appreciate thier greatness

ROTFLOL--yep--they think awfully highly of thier work. I think all the good writers have moved onto better gigs.

I do believe that many great works of literature was done by writers who never thought thier work was good enough. The better the writer the more humble they are. Overconfidence leads to lazy writing.

Everyday when I sit down to work on my book--I always ask myself did I do that right? Is that a good direction, did I explain what needed to be explained? Did I write that correctly? When I get to the point in my work where I don't ask myself "did I do that right?" I will stop writing because then I guess I wouldn't care anymore.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        ain't holding my breath

what's the first step? admitting that you have a problem. As long as they continue to blame anyone down to the caterer for teh show dying, they'll never admit that they are teh source of the problem, so nothing will change
        True. As long as they think they're producing great material, there is no hope for improvement.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          True. As long as they think they're producing great material, there is no hope for improvement.
          What they needed to do was bring back Daniel's girlfriend who was host to Osiris instead of Vala at the beginning of season 9. They could then have had a character meant to interact with Daniel with a distinct personality that could have logically helped bring about the Ori storyline. The character could have been rather psychologically screwed up, but brought in because she had memories of something related to the Ori due to her being Anubis' general. They could have even recast Claudia Black in that role instead othe original actress and then had a more solid foundation for the relationship with Daniel and a storyline that flowed much better rather than appeared to be totally made up out of nowhere to advance the plot.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, they do know that these complaints exist and that they are correct. They addressed it in the episode "200" by choosing to make fun of the complaints and essentially said that they didn't give a damn.

Comment

Vala has huge potential. Her background as a host to Quetesh is a great start. Even the time as a thief is good. If they had wrote Vala to be more shrewed and little more mature, I think that character would be fantastic.

However, the current writting for Vala is centered around Daniel and childlike behavior. When Vala does show some maturity it is good. But the character needed to be shrewed and mature from the begining. Her being a former thief doesn't bother me--it's the general child like statements and behavior that the writers think is cute and funny that irritates me.

The interactions between Vala and Daniel is not appealing to me in the least. I cannot see how some have come to the conclusion that they have sexual tension or should be a couple. That just blows my mind because they really don't have good chemistry together. Their timing is not great and the delivery of lines are too over the top. When MS keeps Daniel in a calmer state--that interaction is better than when they are bickering and fighting. (the moonlighting effect was never real-only worked for David and Maddy) IMO--it's better to have two main characters give sublte glances and linger to long then it is to have 3 stooges bickering. (I guess some men would find it funny though. Hubby thinks it's cute--he loves the 3 stooges though.)

"Vaniel" is not a romantic combo. It's like watching two little kids fight and taunt eachother. Daniel actually turns into a bully around Vala. I hate the interaction for most of thier screen time.

Vala interacts far better with Sam, Mitchell and Teal'c. (IMO--Vala and Teal'c have great timing.)

"Vaniel" needs to go...nothing like having to have them sit in seperate corners for the rest of the season.
            I do have a problem with her being an unrepentant criminal that is allowed to walk around the SGC. If as Sky says there was something under the surface. If she was sorry for her past and really wanted to make things right and be apart of something bigger then her. If she was willing to take responsibility for her actions. If she acted like an adult. (it is possible to be an ADULT and still have a since of humor... oh and FYI to TPTB spewing sexual induendo all the time is pretty much the freaking opposite of being an adult). If these things had taken place she would have made a good recurring character. Maybe after a period of time of proving herself she could have even been brought in as a full time character. But the character as conceived and now written does NOT FIT the cannon of Stargate SG-1. She makes no freaking sense in comparison to how people were treated in previous seasons. Cam is just as bad. Landry is just a little better, but not much. Lam was horrible. Ori are horrible. What exactly did they do right with this "new show". Nothing.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1 View Post
              What they needed to do was bring back Daniel's girlfriend who was host to Osiris instead of Vala at the beginning of season 9. They could then have had a character meant to interact with Daniel with a distinct personality that could have logically helped bring about the Ori storyline. The character could have been rather psychologically screwed up, but brought in because she had memories of something related to the Ori due to her being Anubis' general. They could have even recast Claudia Black in that role instead othe original actress and then had a more solid foundation for the relationship with Daniel and a storyline that flowed much better rather than appeared to be totally made up out of nowhere to advance the plot.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, they do know that these complaints exist and that they are correct. They addressed it in the episode "200" by choosing to make fun of the complaints and essentially said that they didn't give a damn.
              I am constantly amazed by all the wonderful ideas people can come up with that actually would make sense. I have no idea how professional writers could drop the ball and then keep kicking it around to the degree they have done it. They have taken one of the best Scifi TV shows and turned it into a spoof of itself. A bad spoof..
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'm sure others here have already mentioned this, but I had to smirk when I was watching the "10 Years" special of SG-1. Brad Wright just kept saying how he saw and recognized the "legs" the concept had in terms of longevity because of the Stargate, the portal that is such an amazing way to tell stories. Yet so many fans, no matter what or whom our preferences are, have noticed that the Stargate is MIA.

The irony is almost as sad as it is funny, but the way Wright kept mentioning that HE saw the potential is what made me laugh. I expect more from people with such foresight, I suppose.

Comment

yeah, and neither did 1/3of their viewers when they turned off the set

You can't please everyone all the time. it's impossible and you're nuts to try. all you can hope to do is to please most of them most of the time.

but when doing what YOU want is more important than doing what will be popularly received - which is kinda what you need to do to make a tv show - then dont' be surprised when the show fails

the average person has 50-100 channels of tv to watch at any given time. If it's boring, i change the channel. And so has a lot of other people

I guess the saddest thing is, even if the franchise may have a bunch of life left to it, as long as these boys keep retreading the same stories and making the same decisions, anything else they have thier hands on will fail too.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If they had wrote Vala to be more shrewed and little more mature, I think that character would be fantastic.
                    I WISH!!!!!

Fanfic writers have done a far better job of making her a great character.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                      I am constantly amazed by all the wonderful ideas people can come up with that actually would make sense. I have no idea how professional writers could drop the ball and then keep kicking it around to the degree they have done it. They have taken one of the best Scifi TV shows and turned it into a spoof of itself. A bad spoof..
                      On another forum, I've seen forum members pitch out a whole bunch of ideas to fix Atlantis, which is sadly in even worse shape than SG-1 from what I've seen. It becomes somewhat upsetting when you realize just how much of the potential has been squandered by such poor decision making.

Personally, one thing I would have liked to see is an episode showing how a civilization adapted to a change in the goauld ruling them such as being under Aphois' control after Heru'ur was killed. Showing both the positive and negative aspects of such a change, particularly looking at cultural and religious adaptations would have been very interesting. It also could have worked with a "liberated" planet, since there would likely still be lots of believers in the priesthood and feudal lords who would try to impose the religion continually on the people.

One of my problems with SG-1 has always been that the people and jaffa just suddenly stopped believing in their gods for silly reasons in the later seasons. The death of a system lord would probably not really be felt on a planet very much by the people since the religion would still play an important rule in the lives of the masses. The jaffa just giving up their beliefs because of Dakara always seemed silly, along with how there were so many of them who seemed to know how to operate goauld technology in the later seasons. The same is true of the Ori followers and priors. Even if the Ori themselves somehow die, how would it stop the people and priors from still believing they exist and continuing their crusades?

Comment

The directors etc. always say how boring they think briefing room scenes are--do they think our attention spans are so short that something must blow up every few minutes? Oh, wait--silly question. I also hate how they always say that character moments don't move the story forward. I think they can, if they're done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                          I WISH!!!!!

Fanfic writers have done a far better job of making her a great character.
                          Usually fan fic writers can pick out what the show lacks and add it into the work. I still can't stand Vala--even in fanifcs becuase the character has just been ruined for me already.

I also find that in fan fics I like the nerdy version of Daniel far more than the action jackson version.

Most fan fics can get Jack right on the money and the writers seem to give far more credit to Sam.

Unfortuanlty Teal'c has been wall papered to the point of no return and most fan fic readers only what to read about ships.

When I do a fanfic I find I favor the goa'uld over the ori as the bad guy. Ba'al was fun to write till the show made him into a joke. Anubis is only fun to write as the fat guy from the diner. The replicators are boring as hell but the female goa'uld like Hathor and such are still a blast.

I like the Wraith when I write for them, but I prefer to write SG-1 centered fics and that requires a cross over. Out of SGA--I find I can write for Weir, Shappard and McKay. I like Zelenka more credit but the whole cast is kind off. Writing for Teyla and Ronin is boring as writing the Ori.

Comment

Ba'al was fun to write till the show made him into a joke.
                            Yep, another sacrifice in the name of "fun."

Comment

The problem with the goa'uld is that in the later seasons they were dumbed down and made to all be the same, cheesy villains. In the first few seasons, the goa'uld system lords that were encountered all seemed to have different personalities. Hathor was a complete psychopath, Apophis a more traditional military dictator with an archrival in Heru'ur, and Sokar was a radical revolutionary type like Stalin or Mao.

Comment

The problem with the goa'uld is that in the later seasons they were dumbed down and made to all be the same, cheesy villains. In the first few seasons, the goa'uld system lords that were encountered all seemed to have different personalities. Hathor was a complete psychopath, Apophis a more traditional military dictator with an archrival in Heru'ur, and Sokar was a radical revolutionary type like Stalin or Mao.
                                My favorite is Hathor the psychopath! The crazier the Goa'uld the more fun to write. I can let my evil side out to have fun...you know...things you can't do in real life. Like execute someone that irritates you to no end.

Comment

Working...
                                X