S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seshat
    You phrased it so much more nicely than I did ( by saying "mental exercise"). I just called it lowering my expectations. And it DID help me.

OTOH I now watch Monk and tape SG-1 to watch later if and when I remember. Watching SG-1 on Friday is no longer a priority for me. I miss that.
    Yes, we were going to get rid of cable last year but we kept it pretty much for Stargate and CNN/FOXnews/MSNBC. We did get rid of it this year, but I have friends tape it on Fridays for me. Which isn't much different from before - I always taped it as Friday nights became a family night after, well, having said family!

I miss it, too; every now and then while watching new eps I find myself thinking "I miss Stargate."
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

No, I certainly haven't given up on S10 yet. As I've said, I recently watched F&B and was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. I haven't gotten around to watching Morpheus yet.

I have a small (teensy) hope, still, that the problems I had with S9 will be 'fixed' to the extent that I will enjoy the rest of S10 and can consign S9 to some weird alt universe glitch that I never have to visit again.

If S10 continues to dispense with the more irksome aspects of characterisation seen in S9, I will probably grow to like Vala again (I did like her early on, but that character I could only abide in small doses and she rapidly grew annoying) and at least tolerate Mitchell. Sadly, with all the rancid water under the bridge, I don't think I could ever get to like him by this point. But tolerate him would do for me. And I must admit that I'm slightly intrigued to see how they work Vala into the team and whether they start to make her more along Skydiver's model - using her skills and contacts and becoming a valuable, valid team member. There because she's needed and useful. Rather than because she provides the 'humourous (sic) element. They can't lose the gutter dialogue and constant flirting with her team members soon enough for me. I mean, how could you possibly - realistically - operate offworld missions with someone like that along? She'd bring conflict you didn't need at all and just get in the way.

However, I do have to say that I suspect my small, remaining hope is doomed to be crushed as I no longer trust the BAB to give me the real SG1. And I greatly suspect that in fact S10 will be Skydiver's seashells on the beach instead.

But I'll stick in there until I'm shown conclusively that it's misplaced hope. The make or break point for me will be midway through the season. If it's still a clone of S9 by that point, then I will give up on the show and go back to watching my DVDs.

Albion
      Last edited by Albion; 28 July 2006, 04:47 AM.
      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
        Has everyone given up on Season 10? I still have hope for it.
        I still have hope, but with greatly lowered expectations.

Last year I was excited to see what they might be doing with the new storyline and characters. Then I heard the first spoilers about the "Merlin is an ancient" and about the Ori and I thought that all sounded a bit hokey. Then I saw the first pics of Vala (in the dominatrix outfit) and my heart sank because that was the wrong "tone" to set for the reintroduction of the character, imo. But still I continued to think Vala had potential as a character because she had a great backstory and with some depth and "toning down" she has a certain energy that could benefit the show.

The biggest disappointment was Mitchell. I expected to really like him and I ended up thinking he was annoying in a couple of episodes and just "okay". Didn't dislike him, but boy was I disappointed to not LOVE him.

There are some bright spots in S10 for me. F&B was pretty good. I'm actually a little intrigued by Adria - she might make the Ori more palatable for me. I've liked Vala pretty well so far (they've toned down the sexual innuendo which was the most annoying aspect for me) and she certainly brings some energy to her scenes. I'm not sure I'm ever going to LOVE Mitchell but at least his characterization seems more even and mature this year. Daniel is not the Daniel of old but as Vala becomes more integrated into the whole cast I think he'll be less of a "sidekick" as the season goes on. And I find the Daniel/Vala banter amusing at times.

S3 and S4 were my favorites. I miss the old Egyptian mythology. I miss the "team as family" feel of the show. I don't expect to ever see those again. But S10 - so far - is still entertaining me enough (and at the right price ) to keep watching. I think "200" could actually be a hoot so I'm looking forward to that. Also looking forward to the
        Spoiler:
        Daniel goes darkside/becomes a prior
        storyline. I can live without Sam being leader as long as they give her some interesting story arcs. I'd also like to hear something interesting is going to happen for Teal'c.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
          Has everyone given up on Season 10? I still have hope for it.

Spoiler:
          OK, I don't like this Ori/Orisi stuff, but I have hope. They have toned Vala down. AT told us that she and Mitchell will take turns leading the team.
          I am afraid I have given up--in fact--I dont expect to S10 to even finish. It is just a feeling I have.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
            Define "everyone".

This would indicate the answer is "no".

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/sta...at=results&q=1
            Ya know--I think the question was meant to those that frequent this thread not "everyone" in the world.
            Correct me if I am wrong but I am guessing it was understood.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
              Define "everyone".

This would indicate the answer is "no".

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/sta...at=results&q=1
              Wow, thanks for posting the link to that survey. Most interesting.

p.s. knowing Hatusu the way I do she probably just meant everyone on this thread, but she can correct me if I'm wrong.
              Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 28 July 2006, 09:20 AM.
              If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
              proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
              Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Yes, I meant to ask everyone on this thread.
                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                  I am afraid I have given up--in fact--I dont expect to S10 to even finish. It is just a feeling I have.
                  Season 10 will finish. There's no question of that. They've already filmed most of the shows. If there was a question of early cancellation, I'd fight hard for the show, but I'd need some assurances for next season. I'm sure they wouldn't go along with that.

I will say that I canceled Showtime when they canceled "Stargate SG1". I'd do the same to the SciFi channel. I like "Eureka", but not enough to pay for cable.
                  Last edited by Hatusu; 28 July 2006, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I was talking gloom and doom on my last post, but I don't think it will really come to that. RDA is back and John Smith said he would be involved in the story lines, not just quick appearances like in Season 8.
                    Spoiler:
                    I am worried that it's mostly in "Atlantis" though. I didn't want to spoil myself, so I haven't checked the episodes.

Comment

Guys, let's not descend into the whole 'other fan groups' thing please.

Just a preemptive warning. Deleteions will happen with no notice if this takes place
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazzyk
                        i think it'll finish, simply because skiffy has too much money invested to let it die. they'll milk it for all its worth

however, whether or not there's a s11 will depend on the ratings for the next few weeks. and if they don't improve drastically there's no amount of excuses in the world that'll excuse them.

I do have a funny feeling that s10 is a lot like s7, not so good in the beginning and better in the second half. but the bad news is, the first half is what'll get them a s11. (kinda like enterprise that was getting better towards the end, but they'd already screwed the pooch too much and couldn't recover from 3 seasons of berman's 'fine' leadership)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                          ok-count me as cynical-and I am extremely cynical-my take on season 10 is one episode at a time. F&B was okay-Morpheus however...
                          F&B was reasonable for the most of it, only the ending was a bit too much of a quick fix. But I guess that's what you need if you want people that like shallow plots to vote "10 OMFG THIS EP R0xx0r3d!"

Spoiler:
                          Morpheus: I only liked the Vala vs shrink part but that's largely due to my disliking of shrinks and their ambigious methods. Besides this thing, the ep showed Cam's superiority once again...every human is sleeping and is staying awake with pills, but Cam can hike without the pills and only sleeps near the end. *sighs*
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            however, whether or not there's a s11 will depend on the ratings for the next few weeks. and if they don't improve drastically there's no amount of excuses in the world that'll excuse them.
                            There is a way fo skiffy to increase the ratings and that's to pull the trick they've been pulling for the last 2 years: Place a show like BSG either in front, after on in the middle, of the SG episodes. Especially in the middle, because that way people will zap to the channel a bit before BSG starts and they'll see the ending of one SG series, and during BSG they'll see the promos for the next SG series that's placed after BSG.

I do have a funny feeling that s10 is a lot like s7, not so good in the beginning and better in the second half. but the bad news is, the first half is what'll get them a s11. (kinda like enterprise that was getting better towards the end, but they'd already screwed the pooch too much and couldn't recover from 3 seasons of berman's 'fine' leadership)
                            As you said they'll milk it dry, so even a slight increase in ratings is probably reason for a renewal. But the main question is, would this renewal be good for the franchise? They've been running two shows for almost 3 years and each year you see the quality of the shows drop a bit, it seems like TPTB have taken too much hay on their fork and can't handle it anymore. I think it would be better for the franchise as well as for TPTB to let SG-1 die and end it with this season, so they can begin the repairs on the Atlantis side.
                            Signed,

Gregorius
                            Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                            Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                              As you said they'll milk it dry, so even a slight increase in ratings is probably reason for a renewal. But the main question is, would this renewal be good for the franchise? They've been running two shows for almost 3 years and each year you see the quality of the shows drop a bit, it seems like TPTB have taken too much hay on their fork and can't handle it anymore. I think it would be better for the franchise as well as for TPTB to let SG-1 die and end it with this season, so they can begin the repairs on the Atlantis side.
                              This makes the most sense to me as well, at least from a production cost standpoint. We have had a great deal of talk from the producers that the production costs are escalating into the ozone, as would be natural with a show in its 10th year of production and the same cast/crew/staff for all those years. There has also been some talk of a possible movie continuation of SG-1, my feelings on this would be that a mini-series or SciFi Channel movie in place of a S11 would make the most sense cost-wise. This would presumably cost less money than a full season renewal and the actors/crew would be free to move on. Am I the only one who thinks that many of those involved in SG-1 are ready to hang up the DHD and move on to other projects? What do you think?

Comment

i also think that, as much as they like the ego boo of being on the crew of the 'record breaking scifi show' i do think that - in thier hearts- they'er bored with it, tired and burnt out and would likely breathe a sigh of relief if the show - and it's annoying knowledgable fans that are a bit deeper than 'omg it rocks' would just go away

so that they can start all over and not be burdened with that pesky continuity stuff

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X