S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
    And didn't Amanda say something on Sunday to the effect that Sam had a new role in the group,
    Spoiler:
    saying things to Vala like (paraphrasing) "'This is a military unit, and you can't have that thing in your hair - ' and off she goes like that. And 'You can't wear those shoes off world' but she does - "

It sounded to me like Sam had been inserted into the list of Vala's 'straight-men', an idea I abhor.
    hey, from the looks of things, EVERYONE is vala's straightman

everything is so horribly skewed vala that i'm half expecting her to have her name before the credits and for her to supplant cam as the star of the show (then i remember what fine gender biased folks skiffy et al are and know THAT will never happen)

poor claudia. if things continue the way they've been going thus far she's not going to be playing a character, she'll be playing a lampoonish charicture and she deserves so much more
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      everything is so horribly skewed vala that i'm half expecting her to have her name before the credits....
      Ah, this reminds me that we had a thread going somewhere in which we gave our guesses for the S10 credits order. Anyone remember where that was?

Comment

hey, from the looks of things, EVERYONE is vala's straightman

everything is so horribly skewed vala that i'm half expecting her to have her name before the credits and for her to supplant cam as the star of the show (then i remember what fine gender biased folks skiffy et al are and know THAT will never happen)

poor claudia. if things continue the way they've been going thus far she's not going to be playing a character, she'll be playing a lampoonish charicture and she deserves so much more
        There are times I think that Vala belongs on South Park.

It's a shame because the character could have had so much potential, and her backstory could have been really interesting - I'm curious about the circumstances under which she became a host.

If she did have a home planet, she doesn't seem to have ever gone back there - were her people destroyed by the Goa'uld? Did they see the Goa'uld as a threat and worship and obey them out of fear or did they genuinely revere them? Maybe Vala's situation was the opposite to Kendra's, that on her planet, instead of hiding beautiful children to protect them from becoming hosts, they were taken into temples, marked as future hosts and groomed for the role. If she had been raised to think that being a gift of the gods was a great honour, Vala would definitely have suffered a nasty shock when she became a host and if she felt betrayed, I could see why she never tried to return to her home planet and why she would have developed the attitude that the only person she could count on was herself, the only person she should worry about was herself.

There is so much that could be done with Vala if the writers would forget the sex jokes and give Claudia Black some decent material to work with. I'm sure that she would rise to the challenge.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

dont' hold your breath for that. Amanda said at Shore Leave - to a fan in the auto line, not on stage - that there is no Sam focus this season. At least not in the first 12 or so eps. (they were taping #12 or 13 this week)

Sam is THERE certainly, but there's no focus or arc centered around her thus far

Maybe Line in the Sand will focus more on Sam (which they haven't filmed yet).

AT said something interesting in the interview listed under Cast Talks 200 Episode, in the General News section:

Season 10 is very much the arc of the Ori.

That seems to be a good summary. If, and it is a big IF, they can make this enemy interesting, then season 10 has at least a chance of being better than season 9---I mean if they make the Ori more than a one-dimensional enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
            Ah, this reminds me that we had a thread going somewhere in which we gave our guesses for the S10 credits order. Anyone remember where that was?

I think it has a title about season 10 Intro? Someone in that thread found out the cast credits (because she knows someone who has previewed the premiere already). They are:

Ben Browder
            Amanda Tapping
            Christopher Judge
            Claudia Black
            with Beau Bridges
            and Michael Shanks as Dr. Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              I think it has a title about season 10 Intro? Someone in that thread found out the cast credits (because she knows someone who has previewed the premiere already). They are:

Ben Browder
              Amanda Tapping
              Christopher Judge
              Claudia Black
              with Beau Bridges
              Better than I expected.

Comment

I think it has a title about season 10 Intro? Someone in that thread found out the cast credits (because she knows someone who has previewed the premiere already).
                Thanks for the reply, chocdoc!

I found the thread to which you're referring (but haven't read it all the way through yet). However, it turns out that I was thinking of this very thread. We had a brief discussion about it around 25 March or so. I don't think any of us got it right. Who would have guessed that CB would be after CJ?! I mean, CB/Vala is, after all, such a boon. I'm not complaining, though.

Comment

Ben Browder
                  Amanda Tapping
                  Christopher Judge
                  Claudia Black
                  with Beau Bridges
                  Also, according to the person who's seen the premiere already, the credits have been revamped slightly to show a more team-centered theme. Whether or not the TEAM comes across in the actual episodes is a whole other issue entirely.

I mean, at least the credits for S9 were accurate and indicative of what the focus for the latter half was.

I'm sure the people in charge are going to look at posts like this one, shake their head, and say something to the effect of, "You just can't please some people." Hehe. If only they knew how easy it would be for my (our?) requests to be fulfilled.

Comment

dont' hold your breath for that. Amanda said at Shore Leave - to a fan in the auto line, not on stage - that there is no Sam focus this season. At least not in the first 12 or so eps. (they were taping #12 or 13 this week)

Sam is THERE certainly, but there's no focus or arc centered around her thus far
                    Hmmm....well I was hoping there might be a storyline in there somewhere.

And TEAM. I need that feeling of watching a TEAM and a FAMILY back.

Hey..that wave of optimism and anticipation is fading now. Might need to install a margarita machine in the house for the rest of the season.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      There are times I think that Vala belongs on South Park.

It's a shame because the character could have had so much potential, and her backstory could have been really interesting - I'm curious about the circumstances under which she became a host.

If she did have a home planet, she doesn't seem to have ever gone back there - were her people destroyed by the Goa'uld? Did they see the Goa'uld as a threat and worship and obey them out of fear or did they genuinely revere them? Maybe Vala's situation was the opposite to Kendra's, that on her planet, instead of hiding beautiful children to protect them from becoming hosts, they were taken into temples, marked as future hosts and groomed for the role. If she had been raised to think that being a gift of the gods was a great honour, Vala would definitely have suffered a nasty shock when she became a host and if she felt betrayed, I could see why she never tried to return to her home planet and why she would have developed the attitude that the only person she could count on was herself, the only person she should worry about was herself.

There is so much that could be done with Vala if the writers would forget the sex jokes and give Claudia Black some decent material to work with. I'm sure that she would rise to the challenge.
                      Sounds like the basis of a fan fic
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                        Sounds like the basis of a fan fic
                        Don't tempt me!

A pre-Quetesh story about Vala might be fun to write, though... so many possibilities.

Comment

Season 10 is very much the arc of the Ori.
                          So...no change there, then.

I seem to recall mucho talk from TPTB that they HAD to focus constantly, almost every episode on the Ori in S9 because they were introducing a new enemy. But that once they'd been established, in S10 they could ease up on making them the focus week after week after week after week....

One more 'promise' broken then, huh, guys?

If S10 is going to All Ori, All The Time...well been there, done that, was bored out of my gourd last year, fellas. Don't see much point in sticking around to be bored out of my gourd again!

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I knew there was a question I wanted asked/answered. That was it. Gee. What a surprise.

The other question as if they even have an Air Force liason there anymore.

Now it's all up to the writers. If they can craft a decent story this season I'll stay otherwise....they have abused my trust too much.

And it seems they still don't know what to do with Carter. I wondered when they said she'd be doing crossovers and then she wasn't. I figured she's just be wallpaper. The "id" is free and a well-woven story is out behind the door. Great move B@B.

Suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Season 10 feels like a whole new show, a bad one, and the horrors started near the end of Season 9. The cliches of the hot macho guy and the sexy spitfire have been done to death, and a show noted for its creativity resorting to them is jut pathetic. The three original remaining characters have been reduced to virtual background roles. The whole Orii thing just makes my eyes hurt from rolling them so hard. The rumours of what's to come are not encouraging, and the first episode of the season has not given me hope that my worries over the show going completely downhill are unfounded.

Comment

Yeah, my immediate reaction at the end of 'Flesh and Blood' was "I give up."

Comment

Working...
                                X